Ring and cylinder types

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

heloc90
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ring and cylinder types

Post by heloc90 »

So I am finding this information is extremely hard to find and what I do find has conflicting information.
Known- Chrome rings do not go into chrome cylinders.
Conflicting data- what ring materials are allowed in nitride and steel cylinders? FAA textbooks, continental tech reps, and cylinder overhaul shops all have different opinions on this. When purchasing rings they often say what cylinders they are approved for but not the actual material of the rings
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Ring and cylinder types

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

heloc90 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:47 pm So I am finding this information is extremely hard to find and what I do find has conflicting information.
Known- Chrome rings do not go into chrome cylinders.
Conflicting data- what ring materials are allowed in nitride and steel cylinders? FAA textbooks, continental tech reps, and cylinder overhaul shops all have different opinions on this. When purchasing rings they often say what cylinders they are approved for but not the actual material of the rings
This is standard knowledge and should be in the jeppesen / glencoe power plant text book for cylinder and ring identification / selection from any AMT school. With regards to cylinder ID, currently;

COLOR CODE FOR CYLINDER IDENTIFICATION

Location – Between push rods on cylinder head, or band around base of cylinder barrel.

Engine gray or unpainted – Standard steel cylinder barrels.
Orange stripe – Chrome-plated cylinder barrels.
Blue stripe – Nitride-hardened cylinder barrels.
Green stripe* – Steel cylinder 0.010 oversize.
Yellow stripe* – Steel cylinder 0.020 oversize.

Chrome rings in chrome cylinders generally speaking is not approved unless otherwise specified.
Having said that the engine illustrated parts, maintenance and overhaul manuals will all have part numbers for rings with associated materials annd approved matching cylinder P/N’s / materials.
There’s a lot more out there than chrome and steel cylinder ring / cylinders. New rings and cylinders have several materials including 4140, molybdenum, NiC3 etc. once upon a time there was even a ceramic coated cylinder which is no longer approved for use. For proprietary reasons they won’t give you all materials used I’m sure.

The short and sweet of it is the manufacturer’s service manuals will give you the options that are approved and not, and usually recommend what’s best.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Maintenance”