230TT, MIFR and IATRA written. What next?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Cam1616
Rank 0
Rank 0

230TT, MIFR and IATRA written. What next?

Post by Cam1616 »

Hello,

Fresh pilot here. I have 230TT, my MIFR, and passed my IATRA. Just got hired at a pipeline patrol company but i'm expecting I will just be a spotter for the first 8-12months. I'm keeping my options open and want to find a job that can get me flying in airlines sooner rather than later. Was wondering what other options are out there for me? Should I build time privately to get to 250? Or even though some companies have 250 as their minimums it's unlikely they will look the other way? Or is it worth staying at this pipeline company and stick it out till i'm actually flying for them? Most recent guy went from 230 to 900 hours in first 6 months (ALL PIC).
---------- ADS -----------

Avi-Nation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 230TT, MIFR and IATRA written. What next?

Post by Avi-Nation »

You sound impatient, just stick with it.

702pipeliner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 702pipeliner »

Former pipeline here. One of the big mistakes you make is jumping. There you get your pic time in 7 or 8 months. Things may move quicker.

Builds good experience for the future and pilot decision making. You also get pic.... paid for. Which is huge. Lots of guys at the airlines don't have that. The experience you get as well builds you as a pilot for future.

Your also building time quicker. I know guys who went from pipeline at 1500 hours to encore/jazz and other places.

Short term sacrifice long term gain.

2 cents would be stick it there till you get all the pic requirements for an atpl.

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

Some say PIC is king, some say seniority number. I'm in the PIC camp. Take that job seriously, it's not brainless time building. Ugly fatality a couple weeks ago.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

As long as you're not flying, I'd keep applying for an actual flying job. Whatever gets you in the left seat first.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Mr. Lutsch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mr. Lutsch »

Beech 1900 FO here. I was told to expect about 700 hours a year. It’s been 6 months and I just broke 200. If you spectate for 8 months and then do 700 hours in the following 6 months (like your predecessor), you’re still doing better than me. What’s more is, pipeline patrolling is going to be steady and not vulnerable to the whims of the market. 700 hours in 6 months sounds like something that you can count on. It’s worth considering.

robshelle
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by robshelle »

PIC is king, especially if you can get Night PIC (end of day returning to base after the survey).

Also you don’t want to burn any bridges. This is a small industry.

My 2 cents.

Rob

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

At 230hrs you know next to nothing about flying, that’s not intended to be disrespectful just a statement of fact (I was no different when I had 230hrs). Take the pipeline job, spend the 7 months as an observer not only watching the pipeline but observing the pilot and soak up learning how to pilot for a living. I can’t stress enough how important PIC time is early in your career.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
Conflicting Traffic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

Avi-Nation wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:58 pm You sound impatient, just stick with it.
+1.
Cam1616 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:29 pm I have 230TT, my MIFR, and passed my IATRA. ... Or even though some companies have 250 as their minimums it's unlikely they will look the other way?
There is no "looking the other way": CAR 421.40 requires 250 hours for a type rating. Even if you're applying for a job that doesn't require a type rating, there are lots of new pilots looking for work out there. Why would they "look the other way" if they don't have to?
Cam1616 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:29 pm Just got hired at a pipeline patrol company but i'm expecting I will just be a spotter for the first 8-12months. I'm keeping my options open and want to find a job that can get me flying in airlines sooner rather than later. Was wondering what other options are out there for me?
Keep the spotting job. Move into a flying role when you can. Get the PIC time. I've flown with lots of FOs that can't upgrade because they don't have the PIC requirements for their ATPL.
Cam1616 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:29 pm Should I build time privately to get to 250?
No. Don't waste your money. Some airline FOs have no choice but to do this -- it's not just the 20 hours to get to 250 TT, you need 250 hours of PIC for your A's. You have an out -- keep your current job and let someone else pay for those hours.
Cam1616 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:29 pm Or is it worth staying at this pipeline company and stick it out till i'm actually flying for them? Most recent guy went from 230 to 900 hours in first 6 months (ALL PIC).
This. Stay put. Get the hours. Then if you want to move on, consider your options -- which will be much better than they are now.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
nasir.pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nasir.pilot »

Hi @cam1616
Do you mind sharing what sort of schedule spotters get? Is it a Mon-Fri continuous or days/weeks on/off?

paimc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by paimc »

Hello,
Would you mind to share how you got the pipeline job? I am at 300TT and heard nothing so far. Thanks.

Return to “Employment Forum”