ICAO Foreign License Conversion

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

josejimenes33
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: ICAO Foreign License Conversion

Post by josejimenes33 »

HBI 320 did you went through the process? We're you successful? Still have a doubt about the direct conversion into a TC ATPL. A flight school chief pilot told me that you have to go through CPL first and no answer from TC to confirm or deny it.
---------- ADS -----------

withaflash
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by withaflash »

josejimenes33 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:47 am HBI 320 did you went through the process? We're you successful? Still have a doubt about the direct conversion into a TC ATPL. A flight school chief pilot told me that you have to go through CPL first and no answer from TC to confirm or deny it.
If you hold an ICAO ATPL, here is the process.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/licens ... ign-pilots

Went through the ICAO ATPL to TC ATPL process myself and have helped others with same - PM me if you want more info - as follows:

To successfully earn a Canadian ATPL-A, you must:

1. Complete medical examination requirements and hold a Category 1 medical certificate.

2. Provide proof that you meet the experience requirement. Be prepared to show us a log book of your flight experience for our review.
Read CARs Standard 421, section 421.34, para. (4) to learn more.

To meet the knowledge requirements, successfully complete the following written examinations:
3.Meteorology, Radio Aids to Navigation and Flight Planning (SAMRA)
4. Aviation Regulations and Air Traffic Procedures, Aeroplane Operations and General Navigation (SARON)
5. Instrument Rating (INRAT)
Read CARs Standard 421, section 421.34, para. (3) to learn more.

6. Meet the skill requirement by successfully completing a flight test in a multi-engine aeroplane (excluding centre-line thrust) suitably equipped for instrument flight rules (IFR) flight in controlled airspace.
Read CARs Standard 421, section 421.34, para. (5) to learn more.

7. Complete your licence application.
Submit proof of foreign citizenship and age
See CARs Standard 421, section 421.06, para. (1) and (2) for a list of acceptable documents to prove your citizenship and age

8. Provide your foreign licence and log book for evaluation
Submit your licence application form
See Flight crew licences, permits and ratings to find the correct form(s)

9. Pay the appropriate licence fee. We will not process your application until we receive this fee. Use our new Online Payment System – this is the fastest way to pay.

josejimenes33
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by josejimenes33 »

Hi withaflash,
The question was specific about converting a CPL IR directly to a TC ATPL without passing by the TC CPL, with the minimum hours permitting.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You do not have to hold a TC CPL first. The requirements are quite explicit and complete, and the do not refer to holding a CPL: if you meet the requirements in terms of experience and exam passes, and pass the relevant flight tests, you qualify for an ATPL.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Aviator1985
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aviator1985 »

Hi everybody, I hope you are doing well.
I have question about converting ICAO ATPL(A) to Canadian ATPL(A). My flying hours details are as follow:

Total Flight Time: 5865:50 hours
Single Engine Time: 161 hours (79:30 hrs PIC)
First Officer Time: 3567:30 hours
Total PIC Time: 2079:25 hours

ATR 72: 3567:30 hours
B737-CL (EFIS): 2222:00 hours

With this experience, do I need Flight Test, or only take the written exams (SARON, SAMRA, IATRA) are enough?

And, would you please guide me how should I register for the exams, it should be via Email? or I have to go to the TC or Authorized centers by person?

Appreciated response to me. Thank you.

MarcoVM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MarcoVM »

Hi,

Have you heard about Aerocadet’s course? They also provide help for the icao license conversion, I’m just wondering if it’s worthy…

Return to “Flight Training”