R44 flying under powerline in Ottawa

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

R44 flying under powerline in Ottawa

Post by Donald »

---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: R44 flying under powerline in Ottawa

Post by North Shore »

Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Don’t get video’d doing it?

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

Wow, thats a fist full of stupid. Must be from the leaded gas

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

If you look very closely at the space between the poles he flies through, you will notice there are no wires.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Thread the needle!

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

tsgarp wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:14 pm If you look very closely at the space between the poles he flies through, you will notice there are no wires.
I learned something as a child that sometimes slips my mind...
Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it isn't there. The stars are always there.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

goingmissed wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:43 am
tsgarp wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:14 pm If you look very closely at the space between the poles he flies through, you will notice there are no wires.
Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it isn't there. The stars are always there.
You'll also notice the orange sticks on either side of the road roughly in line with the pole. I've seen those around small grass strips where they bury power lines between certain poles in order to accommodate the arrival departure of aircraft. My guess is that this fellow is practicing near one of the small grass strips east of Ottawa.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

This crap happens more often than caught on video. The machine is registered in Quebec.

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

tsgarp wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:51 pm
goingmissed wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:43 am
You'll also notice the orange sticks on either side of the road roughly in line with the pole. I've seen those around small grass strips where they bury power lines between certain poles in order to accommodate the arrival departure of aircraft. My guess is that this fellow is practicing near one of the small grass strips east of Ottawa.
The person who took the video said there were no breaks in the power line. The helicopter landed on Wall Rd east of Ottawa, sat there for a bit, then took off and went under the lines to an adjacent road. No grass strips in the vicinity.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comment ... wall_road/
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/transport-can ... -1.6124347

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

If you look at the video and then go on Google maps between Tenth and Trim on Wall, you can see exactly what's there for wires as of 2019. If the wires have not been relocated in the last 3 years, the helicopter definitely went under the wires and over a dilapidated fence.
The wires stop at that last pole to the left of the pilot. If the helicopter had moved further east between the last pole and that clump of trees, it would have been obstruction free.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.440261, ... 384!8i8192

skytramp2800
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skytramp2800 »

One of my earlier jobs was learning all about “straight”, and “ground effect”. I got the job because the guy I replaced tore the tail off a C-185 going under a power line while crop spraying.
One day, I was at that moment of “do I, or don’t I....” fly under the power line?? I was in a C-188, so, I pushed, instead of pulled. I never had a problem after that.

Now, “straight” was another issue that I never quite resolved, but I survived. That was my only experience as a “crop duster”. I got out before I grew another head from spraying bad stuff used to kill hoppers and the like.

Return to “General Comments”