WestJet New Direction

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: WestJet New Direction

Post by daedalusx »

Follow your contract to a T.
Document as much as you can.
Stop picking up the phone on your days off.

Things will improve.
---------- ADS -----------

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

averageatbest wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:31 am Employees should remember that they are compensated competitively and are given flight benefits.
That's the catch, isn't it governor. The employees are not being compensated competitively and therein lies the problem.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

WestJet's new direction seems to be counter clockwise, around the drain.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

co-joe wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:22 pm WestJet's new direction seems to be counter clockwise, around the drain.
How so?

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Let me count the ways: We used to be a...

Profitable company. We are told we are not that anymore.
Growing. But we had shrunk our fleet over the last couple of years.
Own our planes. We don't anymore.
Own our buildings. I hear we don't anymore.
Have a very loyal customer base. We've done away with that in favour of... well, I'm not sure what we are doing.
Growing widebody fleet with international aspirations. We have cancelled all our widebody orders.
Have employee buy in because we were paid well. We have low pay that has been chipped away and moral is very low.

I'm sure I've missed a lot of points here but... Think Air Canada: The Robert Milton years and that's where we are.

billhill
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by billhill »

Those were ugly years..I was there

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Mach1 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:49 am Let me count the ways: We used to be a...

Profitable company. We are told we are not that anymore.
Growing. But we had shrunk our fleet over the last couple of years.
Own our planes. We don't anymore.
Own our buildings. I hear we don't anymore.
Have a very loyal customer base. We've done away with that in favour of... well, I'm not sure what we are doing.
Growing widebody fleet with international aspirations. We have cancelled all our widebody orders.
Have employee buy in because we were paid well. We have low pay that has been chipped away and moral is very low.

I'm sure I've missed a lot of points here but... Think Air Canada: The Robert Milton years and that's where we are.
WJ is not, but ONEX is.
WJ is not, but ONEX is.

Who owns the buildings and planes if not WJ? I heard some 787 got sold to ONEX and then leased back, is it the case for the whole fleet?

I'm sure ONEX has a very good way of making the company profitable again and selling it for a profit in the next 5 years.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

kiaszceski wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:51 pm WJ is not, but ONEX is.
WJ is not, but ONEX is.

Who owns the buildings and planes if not WJ? I heard some 787 got sold to ONEX and then leased back, is it the case for the whole fleet?

I'm sure ONEX has a very good way of making the company profitable again and selling it for a profit in the next 5 years.
I would say you are understanding the plan. However, once WJ is spun out to be a public company once again, or sold to another private entity, it will have no assets and a lot of lease payments and sub-contractor agreements that will see the money rolling into Onex for years afterwards.

Lies.
Damn Lies.
Accounting.

Alternatively, the cows have no milk left, the chickens are out of eggs, the land has been stripped and they don't care what happens to the company anymore because the idea is to burn it to the ground and start over with Sunoop. Or Swooing. As long as they can cut the pilots wages, who cares if the company survives.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

kiaszceski wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:51 pm
WJ is not, but ONEX is.
WJ is not, but ONEX is.

I asked John A about what we own, lease & finance. It used to be 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. He said it isn’t that anymore (due to the burn the furniture to heat the house during Covid) but that we still own more than other airlines, but I can’t confirm that at all as we are private and only certain employees would know.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

There seems to be some sort of belief that owning a plane is better than leasing. Like if you own your home you're better off than someone renting. This really isn't the case, especially where the market is so volatile. It's not like a house where the value tends to appreciate.

I remember an interesting article about Air Canada 5-10 years ago: How many jet engines does Air Canada own? None! I'm not sure if that's still the case, but pretty crazy to think that the country's largest airline didn't own a single engine - it leased all of them.

Don't get me wrong, lots of positives for also owning the aircraft. While I take every management exclamation of "we're not making money yet" with a cautious skepticism as we're in the midst of contract negotiations, COVID did require the company to make some challenging decisions with their assets.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Update from ALPA today:

Currently, there are 267 active grievances within our bargaining unit. For context, this represents approximately 10 times the number of active grievances at Air Canada on a ‘per pilot’ basis.

Let that sink in. During a time when pilots are leaving the company in droves. They must be banking on a few hundred Sunwing pilots landing on their lap this year.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:56 pm Update from ALPA today:

Currently, there are 267 active grievances within our bargaining unit. For context, this represents approximately 10 times the number of active grievances at Air Canada on a ‘per pilot’ basis.

Let that sink in. During a time when pilots are leaving the company in droves. They must be banking on a few hundred Sunwing pilots landing on their lap this year.
If Sunwing survives the shit storm that they brought upon themselves.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Take it for what it is, but Alexis stated in the last Exec video that the deal for SunWing will go through. There are many penalties that get actioned if they don’t go through with it.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Airbrake wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:07 pm Take it for what it is, but Alexis stated in the last Exec video that the deal for SunWing will go through. There are many penalties that get actioned if they don’t go through with it.
He also said "we haven't found a way out of it yet" or something to that extent.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

kiaszceski wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:16 am
co-joe wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:22 pm WestJet's new direction seems to be counter clockwise, around the drain.
How so?
We're in the northern hemisphere so the toilet always flushes counter clockwise doesn't it? Just a joke at your expense, I'm sure you'll sort out those 267 grievances, bring Swoop, mainline, and Sunwing under one umbrella, get Encore pilots back on one list, and sign a nice new CBA this year without having to go on strike to get any of it.

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

or just go to AC !

Return to “WestJet”