Canadian Pilots Are Too Afraid to Stand Up for Better Pay

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Canadian Pilots Are Too Afraid to Stand Up for Better Pay

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Why are we such cowards? I mean someone on this forum proposes to go abroad for better pay, or insists that conditions are bad here, and you have another person say that going abroad is horrible and so difficult. Yes, sure, but if it it wasn’t difficult would it be worth it? Same goes for pay. However, us as Canadian pilots seems to afraid to stand up for better work conditions.
We step all over each other, and hope the next guy to us falls so we can take their place.
What a toxic environment.
Take a moment, and look to see when your next union meeting is, or vote, and actively participate.
Ask difficult questions, challenge you mec, and if they cannot respond maybe it’s time for a change in leadership. I know at Jazz, I have begun to think this way.
Air Canada pilots made this clear with their no vote, so now let’s see everyone else vote no and get rid of those voices that oppose unity and change.
---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Canadian Pilots Are Too Afraid to Stand Up for Better Pay

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

We need a 1500 hour rule.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

We also need all airline pilots to say no to voluntary overtime

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

JHR wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:04 am We also need all airline pilots to say no to voluntary overtime
Although, in principle, I agree with your sentiment, that's a very juvenile comment to make. I'm sure you know the reality of Canada's economy and its absurd cost of living.

Some people need that overtime to pay their mortgage and feed their kids. It's easy to say, if you make $150K a year, "No I don't need that extra $1000 a month", but $500 a month extra (from overtime) for a First Officer making $65K a year (before tax) is food for him and his family for 2 weeks (if you plan it properly). Or it's 5 extra tanks of gas, so you can commute to your home base... because you can't afford an apartment there.

Come on, that's not the solution: "not doing overtime". It's like me saying "The pilots making $150K a year should give $30K a year to their junior colleagues. That's also not a realistic scenario.

I don't know what is, but WHAT I DO KNOW, is that I pay a f*ckload of money to my union and they're the ones that "know and fight" for me. Hopefully they can make a positive change.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:16 am We need a 1500 hour rule.

Yup! Plenty of places in Canada where one can get experience and get that 1500 hrs. It'll be better for everyone, except the 22 year old college graduate wanting to fly an Embraer with 200 hrs.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:19 am
JHR wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:04 am We also need all airline pilots to say no to voluntary overtime
Although, in principle, I agree with your sentiment, that's a very juvenile comment to make. I'm sure you know the reality of Canada's economy and its absurd cost of living.

Some people need that overtime to pay their mortgage and feed their kids. It's easy to say, if you make $150K a year, "No I don't need that extra $1000 a month", but $500 a month extra (from overtime) for a First Officer making $65K a year (before tax) is food for him and his family for 2 weeks (if you plan it properly). Or it's 5 extra tanks of gas, so you can commute to your home base... because you can't afford an apartment there.

Come on, that's not the solution: "not doing overtime". It's like me saying "The pilots making $150K a year should give $30K a year to their junior colleagues. That's also not a realistic scenario.

I don't know what is, but WHAT I DO KNOW, is that I pay a f*ckload of money to my union and they're the ones that "know and fight" for me. Hopefully they can make a positive change.
$65K for a first officer? I'm at the wrong airline!

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

goingmissed wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:35 am
I didn't say "first year pay"... or "new hire".

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:43 am
goingmissed wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:35 am
I didn't say "first year pay"... or "new hire".
Top level FO pay at Encore is $53,600 base pay.That's around $37,000 take home. Jazz is $77,961, but only $55,300 at the same year as Encore tops out.

It's fucked.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

If you stop doing overtime for a short period you can get that increase in pay, and then some, permanently without even having to do overtime.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

FL030 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:04 am
If you stop doing overtime for a short period you can get that increase in pay, and then some, permanently without even having to do overtime.
Exactly

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

FL030 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:04 am
No, that sounds great. I agree. In the meantime...

Who will supplement that income to pay for groceries? Can you guarantee that those F/Os living paycheck to paycheck will get an increase in pay? What the f*ck man? Are we intelligent adults here or children "pretend playing"?

What universe do you live in? $600 a month can make the difference between being able to feed your family (and pay all the bills on time)... or not. Things are that dire for some people.

Look, I've done a total of 2 days of overtime in the last 12 months. That's just because I wanted to and wanted a layover in a specific place to go see some museums. It was a great layover. Most people are not as fortunate as I am (having a spouse that actually makes a lot more money than I do). I know F/Os at my company that are the sole breadwinners in the family and working overtime is the only way they can make it work.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

So make a lasting difference. Short term pain

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

JHR wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:43 pm So make a lasting difference. Short term pain
You sound like a 25 year old living in his mom's basement, who doesn't have to pay rent or mortgage. Do you understand that "Short term pain" is not an option for many families? What "short term pain?" Your kids not eating? Your kids not having shoes? Your kids not going on that field trip? Being late on that credit card payment because your cost of commuting doubled in the last 12 months?

That's the reality of Canadian families in 2022. People struggle to get by, whether they're pilots, working at a small tech company or just your average "Joe".

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:00 am Why are we such cowards? I mean someone on this forum proposes to go abroad for better pay, or insists that conditions are bad here, and you have another person say that going abroad is horrible and so difficult. Yes, sure, but if it it wasn’t difficult would it be worth it? Same goes for pay. However, us as Canadian pilots seems to afraid to stand up for better work conditions.
We step all over each other, and hope the next guy to us falls so we can take their place.
Take a moment, and look to see when your next union meeting is, or vote, and actively participate.
Ask difficult questions, challenge you mec, and if they cannot respond maybe it’s time for a change in leadership. I know at Jazz, I have begun to think this way.
Air Canada pilots made this clear with their no vote, so now let’s see everyone else vote no and get rid of those voices that oppose unity and change.
Because the governments of Canada have a very long history of interfering with the free market economy (IE: Suddenly, everyone is an essential worker and gets legislated back to work), and if you actually protest (well, protest something the government disagrees with), they enact draconian laws to stop that protest.

At the end of the day, people are running on an economic treadmill set (very purposefully) at the maximum speed anyone can run so that you stay just ahead of your payments (the back to the treadmill, where you fall off and start losing your house, car, etc) but you can't move forward (reach the front of the treadmill) where you can create wealth and give yourself a little breathing room. This means you don't have the freedom to bang on the desk and demand better or go on strike without the risk of losing everything... so we sit there and try not to rock the boat or get noticed because none of us have FU money. Having FU money gives you the power you need to demand more, demand better and the resources you need to get better. This is not just an aviation issue, it's almost every job in Canada.

It's a really interesting balance. A person with nothing to lose has no fear and will openly revolt against the system because... what can you take from this person who has nothing? A person with wealth can walk out the door if not given what they negotiate for without fear of starving or losing their homes. But... balance it just right... where you have a little bit of comfort, enough that you have something to lose but not enough to be comfortable and you have people who live in fear of losing what they have but not enough to have power. And you have to keep them right there... in the sweet spot.

In summary, it is slavery 2.0. Only, they aren't housing you, they aren't feeding you, they aren't caring for your medical needs, that is all on you... meanwhile we sit in fear of losing what little we have in order to fight to make it better, so we do nothing.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Nope. My kids live in my basement. I refused the shit Airline wages in this country
And it's funny how you accuse me of living off my parents while you are a kept man. You are part of the problem.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Mach1 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:00 pm
canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:00 am Why are we such cowards? I mean someone on this forum proposes to go abroad for better pay, or insists that conditions are bad here, and you have another person say that going abroad is horrible and so difficult. Yes, sure, but if it it wasn’t difficult would it be worth it? Same goes for pay. However, us as Canadian pilots seems to afraid to stand up for better work conditions.
Because the governments of Canada have a very long history of interfering with the free market economy (IE: Suddenly, everyone is an essential worker and gets legislated back to work), and if you actually protest (well, protest something the government disagrees with), they enact draconian laws to stop that protest.

At the end of the day, people are running on an economic treadmill set (very purposefully) at the maximum speed anyone can run so that you stay just ahead of your payments (the back to the treadmill, where you fall off and start losing your house, car, etc) but you can't move forward (reach the front of the treadmill) where you can create wealth and give yourself a little breathing room. This means you don't have the freedom to bang on the desk and demand better or go on strike without the risk of losing everything... so we sit there and try not to rock the boat or get noticed because none of us have FU money. Having FU money gives you the power you need to demand more, demand better and the resources you need to get better. This is not just an aviation issue, it's almost every job in Canada.

It's a really interesting balance. A person with nothing to lose has no fear and will openly revolt against the system because... what can you take from this person who has nothing? A person with wealth can walk out the door if not given what they negotiate for without fear of starving or losing their homes. But... balance it just right... where you have a little bit of comfort, enough that you have something to lose but not enough to be comfortable and you have people who live in fear of losing what they have but not enough to have power. And you have to keep them right there... in the sweet spot.

In summary, it is slavery 2.0. Only, they aren't housing you, they aren't feeding you, they aren't caring for your medical needs, that is all on you... meanwhile we sit in fear of losing what little we have in order to fight to make it better, so we do nothing.
This is well said. Keeping you all perpetually in debt is part of the plan.

When I write on financial principles to attempt to teach how not to get trapped there, I get trolled. No more of that. You can betcha that much.

I am a pilot too, but this has killed my sympathy for these kinds of posts. Collectively you’re an extremely, extremely stupid group. No offense.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

JHR wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:18 pm Nope. My kids live in my basement. I refused the shit Airline wages in this country
And it's funny how you accuse me of living off my parents while you are a kept man. You are part of the problem.
No man. That's not it. I have a spouse that makes good money and I DON'T HAVE TO WORK OVERTIME. I also seldom work overtime. The only time I pick up a shift is if it's somewhere I want to spend time or bring my family. For example, I want them to see museums in Washington DC.

You and I are both lucky (that we don't need to work extra shifts). What I was saying all along is that there are people that NEED that overtime. And you acting like people taking overtime is "ruining this industry", when in reality they really need to do it is not a realistic way of looking at things

. Not all of us are "kept men"... as you put it.

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigQ »

Until Canadians aren't a $200 shortfall on their next paycheque away from financial trouble, it won't change. Beggars can't be choosers.

I flew with a guy a few weeks back, new 705 FO, gf is a Rouge FA, 1.2 million dollar house in YUL.
That guy WILL take whatever overtime he can get.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I have not picked up the phone once this year when crew sked calls on my days off - straight to voicemail. Instead I am focusing on spending my days off working on finding a flying job outside of Canada or if that fails, working on switching to a career where I am a paid and treated for what I am worth. I have nothing against those working overtime but ultimately I want to work smarter and not harder - work to live and not the other way around.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

BigQ wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:04 pm
I flew with a guy a few weeks back, new 705 FO, gf is a Rouge FA, 1.2 million dollar house in YUL.
:shock:

Return to “General Comments”