AC-JAZZ ALPA merger?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

negroni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: AC-JAZZ ALPA merger?

Post by negroni »

hithere wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:10 pm
negroni wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:32 am The rumour is coming out of Montreal, from everything I've been hearing. Which doesn't surprise me. They love their fear tactics over there, first it was Jazz, then it was the boogy man Air Transat, now it's ALPA and Jazz again (fear tactics).

I really hope the pilots in Montreal start to wake up soon and demand more from their leadership in that base. Thankfully their past reps have resigned, but sadly the new ones were acclaimed. Is the former YUL Chair is still peddling his fear on his personal facebook fan page?
How have the new YUL reps been acclaimed? Acclaimed from what? Are you saying that the YUL reps have already been replaced with candidates who ran unopposed? If so are they P4C leaning or old school hard core ACPA?
Check your emails. Only one person ran in YUL for Chair and VC. So they got acclaimed. That's how little people want to step up and "do the work" at this company. I don't know if they're P4C, hopefully they are.
---------- ADS -----------

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

loose wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:09 pm Last I checked and that’s about mid summer, Jazz only had under 20 ATPL rated FO’s, and that includes guys that don’t even want to go left seat.
Where did you get that from, seems crazy low. Because I personally know about 20 ATPLed FOs, just on one type and in one base.

loose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by loose »

rob-air wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:12 pm
loose wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:09 pm Last I checked and that’s about mid summer, Jazz only had under 20 ATPL rated FO’s, and that includes guys that don’t even want to go left seat.
Where did you get that from, seems crazy low. Because I personally know about 20 ATPLed FOs, just on one type and in one base.
My bad typo, 60 +\-. That was the number arnd May/June.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Are you saying almost all the FOs are ineligible to upgrade, and flow to AC?
Are they all missing 100hrs PIC?

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Almost all of the FOs from Sky that came to Jazz had ATPLs. That is over 100 FOs.

loose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by loose »

Do you Jazz guys remember sometime back in early summer when you got an email from your CP about AC starting flow, and that everyone interested should redo their AC application and forward copy to Jazz. Well, that was just a test to get a sense of who wanted to go and the numbers. Thts about the time Jazz did it’s balance sheet and YES there was about 60 or so ATPLed FOs in the system. Everybody else were CAs, you know those young bloods just looking to bailout to go fly an airbus or Boeing with the big boys even if it comes with a 30k pay cut…. That is why flow stopped… So now AC is taking everybody else OTS because you are a valuable pawn that cannot be allowed to leave Jazz vulnerable even when they tell you you got no leverage. Show them leverage, refuse OT just one week, all of you. By mid month you will see improvement, and by years end you may not have a reason to leave Jazz for AC flat pay. That right there is how you fight the corporation, that’s how you fight greed, that’s how the Americans did it.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

Jazz guys being called up to AC these days. The open time is going bananas with all the block being dropped in open time. The status quo can't last for that much longer. Planes will be parked and flights cancelled. Every base has almost 10-15 lines of CA open time flying....

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:11 pm Jazz guys being called up to AC these days. The open time is going bananas with all the block being dropped in open time. The status quo can't last for that much longer. Planes will be parked and flights cancelled. Every base has almost 10-15 lines of CA open time flying....
Me thinks Xmas time will be a total gong show on the express side. YUL 220 doing some yqr-yvr routes already...

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

JoeyBarton wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:32 pm
CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:11 pm Jazz guys being called up to AC these days. The open time is going bananas with all the block being dropped in open time. The status quo can't last for that much longer. Planes will be parked and flights cancelled. Every base has almost 10-15 lines of CA open time flying....
Me thinks Xmas time will be a total gong show on the express side. YUL 220 doing some yqr-yvr routes already...
Wouldn't be interesting to upgrade those FO in Vancouver and Calgary and DH them out east to cover the pairings while keeping them based west?

negroni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by negroni »

Good. In most realities that's not exactly a regional route. In fact many of the routes Jazz does were originally flown by ML pilots with ML machines. Hopefully this is a push back in that direction.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

It likely will be, but it’s a back and fourth thing. Jazz covered a ton of AC flying when the 737’s were grounded and lots of Georgian flying during that disaster. Jazz will continue to lose pilots to Flair, Porter, Cargojet etc until it makes itself competitive in the compensation department.

Let’s Go Brandon
flyingb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingb »

kiaszceski wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:49 pm
Wouldn't be interesting to upgrade those FO in Vancouver and Calgary and DH them out east to cover the pairings while keeping them based west?
There are so many vacancies for skippers in YYZ that they can most likely simply create pairings with a DH at the start. Many FO's don't want to upgrade because they don't want to be based in YYZ. which totally makes sense. At the end of the month, with commute (which is bonkers at the moment between YUL and YYZ on a C4), crash pad etc, a BOTL captain in YYZ will be making as much as a FO block holder in YUL. Take those YYZ vacancies, throw them in YUL and many FO's will jump on the upgrade.

negroni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by negroni »

Or... Hear me out,

Raise the pay.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

The only large airline pilot merger in Canada that was DOH was Wardair/Canadian.

All the rest TZ/PW, PV/CP, CP/ND, CP/PW, AC/CP were either a ratio, length of service or DOH with a decrement. While a Jazz/AC merger is highly unlikely, I can’t imagine an arbitrator thinking DOH would be the best course of action.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

Crewbunk wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:07 am The only large airline pilot merger in Canada that was DOH was Wardair/Canadian.

All the rest TZ/PW, PV/CP, CP/ND, CP/PW, AC/CP were either a ratio, length of service or DOH with a decrement. While a Jazz/AC merger is highly unlikely, I can’t imagine an arbitrator thinking DOH would be the best course of action.
and the numbskulls saying "ALPA constitution this and that blah blah blah" are dreaming in technicolor... I agree it's highly unlikely.

negroni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by negroni »

QKZXKV wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:13 pm
Crewbunk wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:07 am The only large airline pilot merger in Canada that was DOH was Wardair/Canadian.

and the numbskulls saying "ALPA constitution this and that blah blah blah" are dreaming in technicolor... I agree it's highly unlikely.
They are. Especially since the alpa constitution says absolutely nothing about DOH. It goes as far as actually highlighting things like longevity, type of operations, career earnings etc.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

negroni wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:09 pm
QKZXKV wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:13 pm

They are. Especially since the alpa constitution says absolutely nothing about DOH. It goes as far as actually highlighting things like longevity, type of operations, career earnings etc.
Career Expectations.
Longevity.
Status and Category.

In no particular order. With no weighting assigned. And not considered limiting from advancing any other additional factors in an arbitration.

http://www3.alpa.org/LinkClick.aspx?fil ... tabid=3345

The chances of a Jazz/AC pilot merger under this policy are virtually nil, for many reasons. However, a list and/or operational consolidation is not out if the question based on corporate action or consent from the parties (which would likely only flow from a prepackaged solution).

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Shhhh… you guys keep saying ‘alpa’ and ‘constitution’ and you’ll attract you-know-who out of retirement…

negroni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by negroni »

sstaurus wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:08 pm Shhhh… you guys keep saying ‘alpa’ and ‘constitution’ and you’ll attract you-know-who out of retirement…
Does he even have a profile account here? :lol:

Ratherbe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ratherbe »

rudder wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:36 pm However, a list and/or operational consolidation is not out if the question based on corporate action or consent from the parties (which would likely only flow from a prepackaged solution).
So, is this the hidden agenda driving the P4C MEC? Their pals at Jazz get an ALPA forced merged list avoiding labour strife? Kind of like NWA and Delta?

Return to “Air Canada”