Is it realistic to work as a pilot in BC for your whole career?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

nutlord
Rank 2
Rank 2

Is it realistic to work as a pilot in BC for your whole career?

Post by nutlord »

I'm considering becoming a commercial pilot, but I'd like to live in BC for my training, and my whole career. Is this a realistic goal? I have no flight experience as a pilot, so I'd be starting from scratch.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by nutlord on Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Is it realistic to work as a pilot in BC for your whole career?

Post by digits_ »

If BC includes small isolated communities, then sure.
If you mean 'Vancouver', then it's unlikely.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
nutlord
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nutlord »

Nah, I mean Vancouver or the island. Is the idea of working as a flight instructor in Vancouver for your whole career, or doing medivac work to Vancouver improbable?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

nutlord wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:20 pm Nah, I mean Vancouver or the island. Is the idea of working as a flight instructor in Vancouver for your whole career, or doing medivac work to Vancouver improbable?
Starting out might be tricky. There's quite a bit of competition for jobs close to city centers.

You could probably fly medevac all your life if you wanted to, it's just unlikely that you'd want to. It's generally not the nicest job for your body (night flying). Perhaps there are alternatives for that in BC, I do not know.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
f70d40
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by f70d40 »

Last edited by f70d40 on Tue May 23, 2023 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nutlord
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nutlord »

Would anyone who's familiar with the vancouver area give some recommendations on good vs bad flight programs in the area? I have a uni degree already, but no pilot experience and would like to train as if it's a full time job. I know people say to do your training at a place that you'd like to instruct at, but how do you know the quality of the culture at a school to instruct at unless you've started your training there already? My other concern is that a school has no obligation to hire you as an instructor after you complete training with them, is there a way to research schools that have a strong history of hiring their own students after completion of the syllabus?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

nutlord wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:47 pm is there a way to research schools that have a strong history of hiring their own students after completion of the syllabus?
Sure. Drop in and meet some of the instructors. Take pop tarts and fresh fruit as gifts to get them to like you and open up to you. (OK, maybe skip the fresh fruit.) Ask them where they completed their PPL, CPL and instructor ratings. At most flight schools that will have been only last week, so there should be no problem for them to remember. If none of them say “here” then you have identified a school that doesn’t have a strong history of hiring its own students.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Canada is a big country, it's not all bad. Don't be afraid to leave your little bubble.

To answer your question; yes. Do your training, get a job instructing, get on with pasco/carson, then go airlines. Or go straight from instructing to the airlines. You may have to commute a bit if you get a base outside of Van but you'll eventually be able to hold a Vancouver base.

nutlord
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nutlord »

TheRealMcCoy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:58 pm Canada is a big country, it's not all bad. Don't be afraid to leave your little bubble.
I've lived in NS, QC, ON, MB, AB, and BC so my bubble may not be as small as you think. I'd rather get seniority in a place like Pasco or Carson with geographical stability where I want to spend my life and the ability to sleep at home most nights than chasing a widebody spot at an airline and spend 1/2 my time away from home. Just wondering how viable that would be as an career goal, and fortunately from what you've all said it seems to be achievable. Thanks very much for the insight!

Return to “Flight Training”