Employer Reviews

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Employer Reviews

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

pilotidentity wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:12 pm It's ideas like this that could help improve working condition for pilots in Canada and there is no time like the present with the current experienced pilot shortage.

I hope to see more positive feedback on this thread as from prior reading on this site there are pages and pages of complaints of wages and conditions at many companies, and a few positive reviews as well, so please repeat that feedback on the listed sites so it is available to all.
That is absolutely my intention with this post. People that are happy aren’t posting about how great the company is. And people that aren’t as enthusiastic about their working conditions aren’t posting what they’d like to see change. All of that information is great and needs to get out there for the next potential candidates to weigh the potential job for suitability. Employers benefit by seeing what their workers think and can gauge what needs adjustment.

If you look at other trades/careers on indeed that’s happening and you can easily see what’s going on at an employer by the bulk of the feedback which generally congregates toward a certain issue.

Any job ad up in this industry is usually never what it is on its face, and in some cases it’s a bait and switch unfortunately. Employer reviews are awesome information for the employer and employee alike.
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Again, any employer with 15-20-25 job ads up at any one time is a red flag. It doesn’t matter how big or old the company is, nothing is expanding that fast, and the workers are out there to fill those positions at any given time.
Even if there’s that many vacancies, WHY ARE THEY VACANT? It’s even grosser when those ads stay up while occupied year round expecting the door to keep spinning.
It’s usually a revolving door in that situation unfortunately (but not always).
Something to always be mindful of when considering a potential employer, some thrive on their revolving door, which inherently keeps wages down. Very x management theory.

Found
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Found »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:45 pm Again, any employer with 15-20-25 job ads up at any one time is a red flag. It doesn’t matter how big or old the company is, nothing is expanding that fast, and the workers are out there to fill those positions at any given time.
Even if there’s that many vacancies, WHY ARE THEY VACANT? It’s even grosser when those ads stay up while occupied year round expecting the door to keep spinning.
Something to always be mindful of when considering a potential employer, some thrive on their revolving door, which inherently keeps wages down. Very x management theory.
I have to disagree, Porter hired over 1000 people this year due to expansion and are looking for more. I am not sure how good of an employer they are as I never worked there. People I know seem to be happy working there and they ask many to apply.
I am sure other companies in aviation are expanding similarly hiring hundreds if not thousands this year and they can’t be that bad to work for.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Found wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:59 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:45 pm Again, any employer with 15-20-25 job ads up at any one time is a red flag. It doesn’t matter how big or old the company is, nothing is expanding that fast, and the workers are out there to fill those positions at any given time.
I have to disagree, Porter hired over 1000 people this year due to expansion and are looking for more. I am not sure how good of an employer they are as I never worked there. People I know seem to be happy working there and they ask many to apply.
I am sure other companies in aviation are expanding similarly hiring hundreds if not thousands this year and they can’t be that bad to work for.
In my experience I have to disagree, the people are out there, and I’m not going to comment on any companies in particular. You might want to read that statement I wrote again, when jobs are posted years on end for the same positions it’s a red flag. I stand by that statement and I know I’m right for the majority of those postings specifically.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:23 pm
godsrcrazy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:48 am Can’t agree more. However, I believe it should go 2 ways. Employers should be able to post about employees that can’t do their job or keep their word. I don’t believe employers have anything that keeps them doing this. They never sign an NDA with employees.

I have worked alongside a lot of people that really shouldn’t be in this industry. Yet when they get fired, they all run around and bad mouth the individual or company that turfed them for just cause.
It’s almost impossible in Canada to be fired for cause, and for it to stick in court. You have to do something really malicious or negligent to get there legally and employers with any wherewithal know that.
Even if an employee is terrible, there is progressive discipline and documentation that has to be completed before said termination. When done properly through the guidance of an employment lawyer there’s still risk of legal action from the employee.

I’ve never seen anyone fired for cause in my career, they usually just get conveniently laid off or not invited back after their contract expires. I have however witnessed constructive dismissals, where the employer has failed to comply with the contract of employment in a major respect, unilaterally changed the terms of employment or expressed a settled intention to do either thus forcing the employee to quit.

Giving bad references is a huge liability for employers, anyone with any legal experience knows that. Even positive references can leave an employer exposed if things aren’t worded just right. Libel and slander laws are more and more complicated these days especially in light of online forums like this and other outlets of electronic public medium.
Most employers when called for a reference will only confirm the employees employment role and duration at the company (good or bad employees) for these reasons.
Some potential employers will ask for that information and add “and any other comments you’d like to share”.
That’s a slimy way of digging for dirt, and employers shouldn’t engage in that type of tactic from the 80’s.

Employer reviews however should be facts only, and respecting any non disparaging/disclosure agreements potentially signed as I stated earlier in this thread.
There is always an imbalance of power between employer’s and employees, but these review sites like indeed and glassdoor are a great tool for both to make the workplace better.
Correct. Employers have to be very careful how they handle references.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

That’s a very small exception. 90% of those jobs are on the ops side, very few are ames and pilots. I saw the wages and schedules, I’ll pass personally.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:23 pm
That’s a very small exception. 90% of those jobs are on the ops side, very few are ames and pilots. I saw the wages and schedules, I’ll pass personally.
There definitely was a change in management there iirc. Wasn’t there some scheds picked up from cancelled Ac flights as well? I think that’s what caused the brief expansion.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Another good site to gauge employers is LinkedIn, they give tombstone info of the company and vital statistics like average tenure, salaries (but not always), and even how many have applied for a particular job.
I find it fascinating the number of applicants on that site alone within 24 hours for AME postings.
It’s not uncommon to see 60,70 or even over 100 applicants in that timeframe. This reinforces my theory of the greenhorn grinder.

Side note, any company specifying the ability to work;
•Travel (as required or unspecified)
•Overtime
•Weekends
•Short notice
•Nights and variable (sporadic) shifts

And;
•are approved for hours of averaging (search the post on that subject in this forum, ask that question in any interview or conversations about potential employers).

Will most likely use you for some if not all of those caveats regardless of what the specified work times that are discussed. If you want a schedule, get it in writing in your employment contract.

Beware of any shiny endorsements with 24 month training bonds, they will almost certainly leverage that on you. Should you sign a training bond be sure that the dollar value they have for the training is;
•For the course and the course alone (not hotels, salary, accommodations / rental cars etc)
•actually what the course by itself costs!

One more thing to watch out for is median tenure, anything under five years is something to be cautious of.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:10 am Another good site to gauge employers is LinkedIn, they give tombstone info of the company and vital statistics like average tenure, salaries (but not always), and even how many have applied for a particular job.
I find it fascinating the number of applicants on that site alone within 24 hours for AME postings.
It’s not uncommon to see 60,70 or even over 100 applicants in that timeframe. This reinforces my theory of the greenhorn grinder.

•Overtime
•Weekends
•Short notice

And;
•are approved for hours of averaging (search the post on that subject in this forum, ask that question in any interview or conversations about potential employers).

Will most likely use you for some if not all of those caveats regardless of what the specified work times that are discussed. If you want a schedule, get it in writing in your employment contract.

Beware of any shiny endorsements with 24 month training bonds, they will almost certainly leverage that on you. Should you sign a training bond be sure that the dollar value they have for the training is;
•For the course and the course alone (not hotels, salary, accommodations / rental cars etc)

One more thing to watch out for is median tenure, anything under five years is something to be cautious of.
Show me any AME that stays in one place more than five years in Canada hired in the last ten years lol.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:04 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:10 am Another good site to gauge employers is LinkedIn, they give tombstone info of the company and vital statistics like average tenure, salaries (but not always), and even how many have applied for a particular job.

•Overtime
•Weekends
•Short notice

And;

Show me any AME that stays in one place more than five years in Canada hired in the last ten years lol.
Can’t lol

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

:smt039 Coming up on 6 at my present place. Still actually like the guys, the rotation and the management. The owner of the company is one of the guys. Easy to talk to, pretty down to earth type of fellow. I think its because there is a mutual respect on each others abilities. Longest job before that was 20yrs ago and that lasted only 8. I keep asking myself what is wrong, I should be getting itchy feet soon, but I have no desire to chase an extra 2.00$/hr or have to retrain a bunch of new coworkers/management. :smt040

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

SeptRepair wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:39 am :smt039 Coming up on 6 at my present place. Still actually like the guys, the rotation and the management. The owner of the company is one of the guys. Easy to talk to, pretty down to earth type of fellow. I think its because there is a mutual respect on each others abilities. Longest job before that was 20yrs ago and that lasted only 8. I keep asking myself what is wrong, I should be getting itchy feet soon, but I have no desire to chase an extra 2.00$/hr or have to retrain a bunch of new coworkers/management. :smt040
That’s good, as long as you’re being paid well and have a schedule that’s being honoured (rare in Canada) and of course, you enjoy the job keep plugging away!

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:29 am
SeptRepair wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:39 am :smt039 Coming up on 6 at my present place. Still actually like the guys, the rotation and the management. The owner of the company is one of the guys. Easy to talk to, pretty down to earth type of fellow. I think its because there is a mutual respect on each others abilities. Longest job before that was 20yrs ago and that lasted only 8. I keep asking myself what is wrong, I should be getting itchy feet soon, but I have no desire to chase an extra 2.00$/hr or have to retrain a bunch of new coworkers/management. :smt040
That’s good, as long as you’re being paid well and have a schedule that’s being honoured (rare in Canada) and of course, you enjoy the job keep plugging away!
I’ve found rates are going up because less and less experienced guys are available anymore. Had a customer call us (AME’s) “extortionists”…. Well, maybe operators should look in the mirror for the problem they’ve created.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

godsrcrazy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:48 am Can’t agree more. However, I believe it should go 2 ways. Employers should be able to post about employees that can’t do their job or keep their word. I don’t believe employers have anything that keeps them doing this. They never sign an NDA with employees.

I have worked alongside a lot of people that really shouldn’t be in this industry. Yet when they get fired, they all run around and bad mouth the individual or company that turfed them for just cause.
That may be true but in my experience most employers mismanage employees in this industry negligently. I hope more people
Use these review forums

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:15 am

That may be true but in my experience most employers mismanage employees in this industry negligently. I hope more people
Use these review forums
Yep

Return to “General Comments”