New RAIC requirements(travel more than 180days ooc)

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ctalmey
Rank 0
Rank 0

New RAIC requirements(travel more than 180days ooc)

Post by ctalmey »

Now RAIC requirements if you have been out of the country more than 180days in 5yrs you require a criminal record check from the countries visited.
Me, spending almost a year in Mexico I cannot renew my RAIC with out the criminal record check. The information on Canada.ca is for immigration purposes and do not apply to Canadaian citizens. You need a requesting authority(government body) and a file number to get them processed. I contacted the Mexico embassy in YYC, the Canadian embassy in Mexico City, service Canada, global affairs Canada, my member of parliaments office, transport Canada security division, a lawyer in Mexico, the RCMP, everyone I can think of but the basic outlook is losing my job come Dec 6 when I current red pass expires. Anyone have any other ideas?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... exico.html

And the Mexico link also says the same

https://www.gob.mx/fgr/acciones-y-progr ... egistrales
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: New RAIC requirements(travel more than 180days ooc)

Post by digits_ »

ctalmey wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:22 pm Now RAIC requirements if you have been out of the country more than 180days in 5yrs you require a criminal record check from the countries visited.
Me, spending almost a year in Mexico I cannot renew my RAIC with out the criminal record check. The information on Canada.ca is for immigration purposes and do not apply to Canadaian citizens. You need a requesting authority(government body) and a file number to get them processed. I contacted the Mexico embassy in YYC, the Canadian embassy in Mexico City, service Canada, global affairs Canada, my member of parliaments office, transport Canada security division, a lawyer in Mexico, the RCMP, everyone I can think of but the basic outlook is losing my job come Dec 6 when I current red pass expires. Anyone have any other ideas?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... exico.html

And the Mexico link also says the same

https://www.gob.mx/fgr/acciones-y-progr ... egistrales
Why can't you get a criminal record check from Mexico? What do all those people you contacted say? If the issue is that it will take a long time, then you'll likely get a yellow temporary pass when the red one expires.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
ctalmey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ctalmey »

They all say that it isn’t their job and that they don’t handle that. I get the same link sent back which is what part of the problem is as well since that is for immigration. No one knows where or how to get a criminal record check for a foreigner just travelling and being a snowbird. The pass office will not issue a temporary yellow pass without an application being submitted and they won’t accept the application without the criminal record check.

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

That sounds like a terrible situation. It sounds like it would almost be easier to lie and say you didn’t spend a full year in Mexico. I guarantee Transport Canada wouldn’t even dig that far unless you gave them a reason to.

Who do you work for? I can’t imagine you would be fired because of a situation that is completely beyond your control. Hopefully your employer can at least give you modified work. (E.g Office work until you get your RAIC back). Most employers are pretty understanding if you explain the situation and all of the steps you have taken.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/montreal/i ... ertificate

From the Montreal consulate. Looks like you'll probably have to fly to Mexico City.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

You contacted everyone you can think of? Did you think of calling the police in Mexico? You still might have to fly there to apply or pick up a record check in person but they would be who I would start with.

Bonus points for telling your boss you need January off work so you can go to Cancun and process your security check. Processing times are slow you know.

If all of this is too difficult, remember Canada tracks your arrival at the border, not your departure. With no departure controls, who's to say how long you were really out of the country.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

Also, just consider this - 180 days in 5 years is 36 days per year. If this is the case, every pilot at Air Canada, WestJet, Transat, Sunwing all spend that on layovers. So are you going to have to get a 777 captain to ring up every country he ever did a layover at and ask for a Criminal Record Check?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Arnie Pye wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:01 pm Also, just consider this - 180 days in 5 years is 36 days per year. If this is the case, every pilot at Air Canada, WestJet, Transat, Sunwing all spend that on layovers. So are you going to have to get a 777 captain to ring up every country he ever did a layover at and ask for a Criminal Record Check?
I know people who have made the mistake of being too honest in that exact situation. Ended up taking 1 year+ to get a clearance.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Arnie Pye wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:01 pm Also, just consider this - 180 days in 5 years is 36 days per year. If this is the case, every pilot at Air Canada, WestJet, Transat, Sunwing all spend that on layovers. So are you going to have to get a 777 captain to ring up every country he ever did a layover at and ask for a Criminal Record Check?
Fairly certain that’s not what the security form is asking for. It’s only if you have been out of the country for 90/180+ (can’t remember which) consecutive days, not a total in the last five years. Because, as you implied, that would be ridiculous.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

indieadventurer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:33 am
Fairly certain that’s not what the security form is asking for. It’s only if you have been out of the country for 90/180+ (can’t remember which) consecutive days, not a total in the last five years. Because, as you implied, that would be ridiculous.
Correct, it's not for temporary travel of under 30 days. We confirmed that dealing with the same issue with our crew. If you've been living abroad for a period of 30 days or more then you need to account for it, if it's a temporary trip then you do not.

These changes went into effect in 2021.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

digits_ wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:54 pm Why can't you get a criminal record check from Mexico? What do all those people you contacted say? If the issue is that it will take a long time, then you'll likely get a yellow temporary pass when the red one expires.
I had a similar issue moving back to Europe. I never registered with the local Police so they had no record of me.

I solved it by paying some cash and the appropriate paper was issued to me. So I ended up with the correct piece of paper.

Tip:- Try the Expat Forums - always someone there who knows how to get specifics done.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
fliter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fliter »

The way I read TC document, the police check is only required if you spent 6 or more consecutive months someplace other than Canada and the U.S.

FreddyBomber
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FreddyBomber »

Does anyone know how recent the police check must be? I had one done 6 months ago but I have a feeling that's probably too long.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”