Who is the BC Medevac contract going to?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Who is the BC Medevac contract going to?

Post by co-joe »

SeptRepair wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:47 am
co-joe wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:00 am If they follow Alberta Health's lead, the company who gets the "fair and equally contended" contract will already have purchased the aircraft 6 months before the reveal.
What kind of BS is that. It has always been the standard to bid on a contract, cross your fingers your lowball gets accepted, then once awarded go out and find machines and crew to support said contract at the bare minimal of serviceability. You spend the next few months barely meeting contractual obligations and hoping you don't pile one into the side of a mountain.
This making sure the company biding on the contract is already tooled up and most likely ready to perform sounds so futuristic and I'm not sure BC is ready for that.
All I know is that if you asked Beech for 9 brand new 250's, there was a certain lead time required. The smaller operators who had been safely providing the service for decades couldn't afford to go out and put deposits on new aircraft without the contract in hand, yet Canwest got all 9 planes delivered in less than a month, proving they had already secured the contract long before it was awarded. Everyone knows it.

I'm sure BC health will be fair and equitable though.
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

It'll be interesting to see where the tender value sits. I saw the Carson Air one at 4.2M, and that doesn't get you very far. It's no wonder they pay 500 and bond you to the hilt.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:12 pm It'll be interesting to see where the tender value sits. I saw the Carson Air one at 4.2M, and that doesn't get you very far. It's no wonder they pay 500 and bond you to the hilt.
Never sign bonds!

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:22 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:12 pm It'll be interesting to see where the tender value sits. I saw the Carson Air one at 4.2M, and that doesn't get you very far. It's no wonder they pay 500 and bond you to the hilt.
Never sign bonds!

Attachments
F5AE4F6D-D1F5-46E4-B480-A8C7BE6EFAC6.jpeg
F5AE4F6D-D1F5-46E4-B480-A8C7BE6EFAC6.jpeg (48.08 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

They say CanWest AB was put together by the Mennonite Mafia to secure the medi vac contract. I wonder if they operate in BC?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:51 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:22 pm
Never sign bonds!

I’m not wrong, I never will, and I never have pee pee tweaker 😁

mmm...bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmm...bacon »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:12 pm It'll be interesting to see where the tender value sits. I saw the Carson Air one at 4.2M, and that doesn't get you very far.
I call BS on seeing the tender. It's a closely guarded secret by both the companies involved, and especially the Government until the contract is awarded. Further, as the RFP called for ~14 new aeroplanes, 4.2M doesnt even come close to the amount required.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

They have to provide who won a contract and the value of the award. Carsons was 4.2M but for an ealier bid with different requirements.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

mmm...bacon wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:15 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:12 pm It'll be interesting to see where the tender value sits. I saw the Carson Air one at 4.2M, and that doesn't get you very far.
I call BS on seeing the tender. It's a closely guarded secret by both the companies involved, and especially the Government until the contract is awarded. Further, as the RFP called for ~14 new aeroplanes, 4.2M doesnt even come close to the amount required.
See below.

Attachments
Screenshot_20221115_141423.jpg
Screenshot_20221115_141423.jpg (642.06 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
mmm...bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmm...bacon »

Fair enough. I stand corrected, and my apologies for doubting your veracity.

That being said, that ad-hoc extension is for one aircraft for one shift, for one year, tagged onto a fleet of identical aircraft with pre-existing pilots. It's not like it's a stand-alone for an entire fleet..

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

mmm...bacon wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:54 pm Fair enough. I stand corrected, and my apologies for doubting your veracity.

That being said, that ad-hoc extension is for one aircraft for one shift, for one year, tagged onto a fleet of identical aircraft with pre-existing pilots. It's not like it's a stand-alone for an entire fleet..
All good brother.

I'm just trying to think of costs and wondering how far 4.2M CAD gets you regarding providing a years worth of medevac services on either a KA350 or Citation Encore fleet flying 1000 hours a year. From my limited knowledge not far unless you are running multiple overlapping contracts at the same.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:48 pm I'm just trying to think of costs and wondering how far 4.2M CAD gets you regarding providing a years worth of medevac services on either a KA350 or Citation Encore fleet flying 1000 hours a year. From my limited knowledge not far unless you are running multiple overlapping contracts at the same.
4,200,000 / 1000 = 4,200. Pretty sure you can operate a kingair for a thousand hours when it's paying 4200 dollars an hour.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

What about the overhead for the rest of the fleet?

I'm sure they aren't asking for 1 King Air. Each king air has at least 4 crew to keep the 24 hour on-call plus reserve, and nurses. It starts to whittle down pretty quickly unfortunately. Not to mention factoring for depreciation or profit. This doesn't even take into account the Citations they operate, which I believe are also included and running thin - very thin at 4,200 per hour using your 1000/year.

It'd be great if it was 4.2M per aircraft, then yeah I'd agree you can make a helluva run on it.

I'm sure Carson has it figured out and is running multiple contracts to cover their fleet, but 4.2M leaves anyone else thinking of bidding on this scratching their head. And no, I haven't delved into the fine print on the tender - I don't think it eas available for viewing when I looked.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:10 pm It'd be great if it was 4.2M per aircraft, then yeah I'd agree you can make a helluva run on it.
The 4.2 was for one aircraft with 12 hours per day of availability.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Well then that's pretty solid. 4.2M for 1 King Air and 12 hour availability leaves room.

gimmepars
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gimmepars »

Anybody know if that price includes fuel/de-ice/ramp fees?

turbo-prop
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by turbo-prop »

I would imagine the 4.2 mil is just to have the plane available. Mileage, ramp fees, deice, and fuel would be on top of that.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

EIC would have not paid huge money for Carson’s Medevac operation a couple years ago if it wasn’t 99% sure it was getting the contract. It’s no mystery folks. If you bet on anyone else for the majority of the fixed wing contract you’ll lose that bet. I’m sure NT Air will keep their single 350 in YXS too.

And for what it’s worth, as a previous poster indicated, BCAS changed its tune in the early 2000’s wrt awarding of contracts. Since then they have prioritized safety and stability of the contractor over lowest price. Westex showed them that you get what you pay for, and so far since early 2000’s they still abide by the lessons learned. Captains dual typed are making 120k plus, and often getting to the 150’s with overtime. Granted, a lot of that pay increase has been in the last few years, but at least it finally came up. EIC realizes it’s hard to get people to move to YVR, so they have to work hard to keep the experience they have.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

The other thing that changed though was no single sourcing. Westex left BC Ambulance in a pickle and it was the other one plane operators like Nt, Carson, etc that had to make up the difference.

This new contract is going backwards to that philosophy of only really depending on one operator. The biggest difference is the fact that these are no longer mom and pop companies but mostly backed by large equity firms. It’s all changed, only the names remain the same.

It’s definitely going to be EIC though. The bid has an appearance of transparency but previous bids have been awarded similarly. There will be cries of foul and lawsuits, and maybe some settlements and political scandal.. but it will go ahead and life will go on.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Also, why mess with something that works? The last 15 yrs have seen the most stability in the BC medevac operations that I’ve witnessed in my lifetime.

Return to “General Comments”