Are TC violation investigations publically accessible info?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

raptilly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Are TC violation investigations publically accessible info?

Post by raptilly »

Years ago, I received a letter from TC enforcement stating I was being investigated for a CARs violation. To keep a long story short; I submitted documentation as evidence for my case, took part in an "informal hearing" over the phone with the head of the enforcement division for the applicable region and in the end was cleared of all charges.
Fast forward to now and I have a job interview coming up. I know one of their questions will be, "have you ever been investigated or have you ever had a violation?" My question is this: should I be upfront about my past and explain the situation? Is there any way this past investigation is public record or able to be accessed by the company conducting the interview? As mentioned, this investigation never made it to the TATC and just ended in an informal hearing where I was cleared. I'm debating whether to bring it up and try explaining the situation or take the easy way out and keep it under the rug.
---------- ADS -----------

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Are TC violation investigations publically accessible info?

Post by BTD »

raptilly wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:25 am Years ago, I received a letter from TC enforcement stating I was being investigated for a CARs violation. To keep a long story short; I submitted documentation as evidence for my case, took part in an "informal hearing" over the phone with the head of the enforcement division for the applicable region and in the end was cleared of all charges.
Fast forward to now and I have a job interview coming up. I know one of their questions will be, "have you ever been investigated or have you ever had a violation?" My question is this: should I be upfront about my past and explain the situation? Is there any way this past investigation is public record or able to be accessed by the company conducting the interview? As mentioned, this investigation never made it to the TATC and just ended in an informal hearing where I was cleared. I'm debating whether to bring it up and try explaining the situation or take the easy way out and keep it under the rug.
So you are willing to lie as long as you don’t get caught? Hmm

Answer honestly. Don’t volunteer the info but be truthful. If they later find out you could be terminated at that point depending on circumstances.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

raptilly wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:25 am Years ago, I received a letter from TC enforcement stating I was being investigated for a CARs violation. To keep a long story short; I submitted documentation as evidence for my case, took part in an "informal hearing" over the phone with the head of the enforcement division for the applicable region and in the end was cleared of all charges.
I've never been asked if I've ever been investigated. I have been asked the 'any accidents or incidents or violations in the past X years'.
If you're cleared of the charges, I don't see why you should tell anyone you've been investigated in itself. if it was a consequence of an accident, then don't hide the accident of course.

Another thing to consider: if you did get a fine for a violation, your record would likely have been expunged if you asked for it after X years. If an actual violation gets expunged, then why worry about an investigation that cleared you?

To answer your question: I don't think anybody except TC would ever know you got investigated for something you were cleared of. I assume there was never a tribunal hearing or something like that?
If you were the sole pilot of an aircraft, a new employer could possibly go through the CADORs for that aircraft and find out some things that way, but that seems unlikely.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

That’s a usual question asked of an AME. Best to be upfront, if you did nothing wrong and it’s explainable I don’t see why you’d withhold that information. And in short no this is not public information you have to pay for that document at your TC office

Crys Stall Mighty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Crys Stall Mighty »

Don't ever say a word to TC ever.
Ask them to send to you in writing whatever they are investigating.
Everything you say will be used against you.

Last edited by Crys Stall Mighty on Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

I haven't come across a list of active investigation. Do they even have the infrastructure in place to post all active "minor" investigations? Perhaps just browse through these lists and see if anything related to your case comes up:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/aviati ... -offenders
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/aviati ... -offenders
https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repo ... index.html

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

What you’re describing is “oral counselling”. It’s as minor as it comes- like getting pulled over for a broken taillight and the officer telling you that you need to get it fixed. I wouldn’t be too concerned. I’ve never heard anyone asking if you’ve been investigated.

Return to “General Comments”