US Regionals: 100k upfront bonus for DEC captains

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

US Regionals: 100k upfront bonus for DEC captains

Post by twa22 »

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/l ... 85.article

I don't even know what to say to this other then woaw...
---------- ADS -----------

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: US Regionals: 100k upfront bonus for DEC captains

Post by ellinas »

We are so pathetic here in Canada, I can’t stop laughing 😂

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Don't forget they also start at like 150k, plus a plethora of other operational and retention bonuses. I think the advertisements say 250k+ 1st year DEC, with about 1.25M earnings over 4 years of service with flow to mainline.

If you're a high time FO - you start day 1 at Captain pay, but only FO bonuses until you upgrade.

Granted regionals have a much lower QOL, but it's the same shite here.

mmm...bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmm...bacon »

The catch is, of course, that in order to qualify, you need ~500 hours of P121/135 time - which none of us here in Canada have....

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

mmm...bacon wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:53 pm The catch is, of course, that in order to qualify, you need ~500 hours of P121/135 time - which none of us here in Canada have....
I hope you’re joking….

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

But guys, the per diems at Jazz are TAX FREE.......

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

YC87DRVR wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:05 pm
mmm...bacon wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:53 pm The catch is, of course, that in order to qualify, you need ~500 hours of P121/135 time - which none of us here in Canada have....
I hope you’re joking….
If you haven’t flown Part 121/135 in the US then you don’t have it. There’s no credit for foreign equivalency. Only a handful in Canada that qualify for DEC.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need 1500 flight hours to work for a US airline?
So how could they hire pilots with 950 hours?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Loading... wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:13 pm Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need 1500 flight hours to work for a US airline?
So how could they hire pilots with 950 hours?
950 hours of what is our 705 time (part 121)

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

This is madness. This is pure capitalism at it's finest and that 1500 hour rule is the best thing to happen to the U.S aviation industry from a pilots point of view.

It's essentially a reverse bond, 24 month agreement and we'll give you 100k upfront.

I could rip on several areas of our industry, but it's like spitting on a rotting horse carcass. She's been dead for a long while.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Odd they wouldn’t consider our 705 flying as equivalent experience. It’s all the same airports and aircraft types. :?:

Let’s Go Brandon
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

If the border was open and would allow free flow of experience, they probably would. At this point Canadians are not even on the radar as a reasonable option.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

https://www-ainonline-com.cdn.ampprojec ... pilots?amp

ALPA is working really hard down there and flexing their muscle against the door.

"We had hoped the department would be more supportive of such employee clauses and support ALPA’s efforts to protect U.S. airline employees and level the playing field for labor in the international arena, as promised.”

In a June 23 letter to Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, DePete and Spirit Airlines ALPA unit chairman Ryan Muller called on the DHS to help prevent U.S. airlines from “misusing” the specialty occupation visa designation.

“Despite a verifiable excess of available, qualified pilots in the United States, Spirit Airlines is actively seeking to recruit pilots from Australia using the E-3 visa program,” said the letter. “ALPA is calling on DHS to help set precedent that airline pilot positions are not classified as a ‘specialty occupation’ and coordinate closely with the Department of State to ensure that E-3 reviewers are aware of such precedent.”

ALPA characterizes the airlines’ efforts to recruit foreign pilots “as nothing more than [an effort] to undercut U.S. workers and their collective bargaining power” and part of a larger campaign to weaken aviation safety rules by reducing pilot training. “While there are clearly workforce challenges in all sectors of the transportation industry, for airline pilots there are actually more than enough pilots to meet demand, according to the FAA’s own pilot production data,” said DePete. “However, some airlines, that do not offer appropriate compensation and quality-of-life conditions, are having difficulty retaining pilots. That’s not a reason to misuse the U.S. visa program and undermine U.S. workers.”

The trade group representing Delta and six other U.S. passenger airlines, Airlines for America, declined to comment on ALPA’s claims. AIN also attempted to elicit comment from Delta and the International Air Transport Association, neither of which offered a position as of publication time.

Pretty sure Spirit ALPA would be hard pressed to provide legitimate figures on EXCESS and available pilots willing to work for Spirit.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

(3) If serving as pilot in command in part 121 operations, has 1,000 hours as:

(i) Second in command in operations under this part;

(ii) Pilot in command in operations under § 91.1053(a)(2)(i) of this chapter;

(iii) Pilot in command in operations under § 135.243(a)(1) of this chapter;

(c) For the purpose of satisfying the flight hour requirement in paragraph (a)(3) of this section, a pilot may credit 500 hours of military flight time provided the flight time was obtained -

l_reason
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by l_reason »

As Canadian pilots we need to lobby the United States Government to require AIRLINE pilots to have an AIRLINE license to fly an AIRLINER into or over the US. Americans put in the 1500 hour rule after the Colgan Air crash. There is no reason they should let foreign pilots fly airliners into the states with both foreign and American passengers without an ATPL and 1/4 of the flying experience.

The Canadian government (TC) has been bought and paid for by the airlines. If we lock the non ATPL pilots into domestic flying it will put more upward pressure on Canadian pilot pay. It’s difficult to argue that a 250hr pilot is as safe as a 1500hr pilot flying a -8 or 737. I hope people don’t have to die before that is realized.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

l_reason wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:22 am As Canadian pilots we need to lobby the United States Government to require AIRLINE pilots to have an AIRLINE license to fly an AIRLINER into or over the US. Americans put in the 1500 hour rule after the Colgan Air crash. There is no reason they should let foreign pilots fly airliners into the states with both foreign and American passengers without an ATPL and 1/4 of the flying experience.

The Canadian government (TC) has been bought and paid for by the airlines. If we lock the non ATPL pilots into domestic flying it will put more upward pressure on Canadian pilot pay. It’s difficult to argue that a 250hr pilot is as safe as a 1500hr pilot flying a -8 or 737. I hope people don’t have to die before that is realized.
That would shut out virtually every airline in the world. Not likely to happen.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

l_reason wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:22 am As Canadian pilots we need to lobby the United States Government to require AIRLINE pilots to have an AIRLINE license to fly an AIRLINER into or over the US. Americans put in the 1500 hour rule after the Colgan Air crash. There is no reason they should let foreign pilots fly airliners into the states with both foreign and American passengers without an ATPL and 1/4 of the flying experience.

Go read the NTSB crash report for Colgan Air 3407. Both pilots had well in excess of 1500 hours. The cause of the accident was not lack of experience... it was fatigue and a poor training record.

l_reason
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by l_reason »

Stinky wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:34 am

That would shut out virtually every airline in the world. Not likely to happen.

What airlines can’t crew international flights for the first/last 2-3 hours with ATPL pilots over the US? The cadet pilots can be in the seat once they are out of the US airspace. Most international flights going to, from, or over the USA will be heavy (330/350/777/787) sub 1500 have no business in them anyway. This has massive economic advantages for the foreign carriers as well. Sub 1500hr pilots cost less.

Regardless of the 3407 pilots having ATPL’s that was one of the major reasons given for the 1500 rule. The lack of pilot pay was a major factor in her being fatigued (she couldn’t afford to live at her base) that ultimately killed people. The 1500 hour rule has driven up pilot pay as subject of this thread clears shows. Pilots with more experience ARE safer this is a fact. Were you a better pilot at 300 hours then you were at 2000, 5000 or 10,000 hours?

I’m sorry if the sub 1500 hour pilots can’t just get in an airliner out of school. Here in Canada there are plenty of jobs to get your career started. You will be a better pilot, and the pay when you get to an airline will be better if we had a 1500 hour rule like the USA.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

averageatbest wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:44 am

Go read the NTSB crash report for Colgan Air 3407. Both pilots had well in excess of 1500 hours. The cause of the accident was not lack of experience... it was fatigue and a poor training record.
We all know the 1500hr rule is a load of bs, but you can’t argue with the results for what it did to their pay. Would also be nice to see us get something like their 1000hrs of 121 time to be a skipper, stop the likes of jazz from trying to get 2000hr flight instructors straight into the left seat

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

RockSalty wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:39 am We all know the 1500hr rule is a load of bs, but you can’t argue with the results for what it did to their pay. Would also be nice to see us get something like their 1000hrs of 121 time to be a skipper, stop the likes of jazz from trying to get 2000hr flight instructors straight into the left seat
Yup, you hit the nail on the head. I am all for the 1500 hour rule in Canada for that reason. It would ensure a supply of pilots for flight schools and smaller operators while creating an environment where the experience of pilots is compensated properly.

Return to “General Comments”