Ground school date or pool

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Allen120
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ground school date or pool

Post by Allen120 »

Hi

Could anyone give me an idea on what level of experience I am supposed to have to get a groundschool date these days at encore?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Ground school date or pool

Post by averageatbest »

Allen120 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:34 am Hi

Could anyone give me an idea on what level of experience I am supposed to have to get a groundschool date these days at encore?

Thanks
Lowest I've seen is greater than 1000 hours with only single engine instruction time.

capt_Z
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by capt_Z »

Applied with ATPL and 2000+ TT. NO RESPONSE yet.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

capt_Z wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:21 pm Applied with ATPL and 2000+ TT. NO RESPONSE yet.
Consider yourself lucky. The pilots are being toyed with.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

capt_Z wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:21 pm Applied with ATPL and 2000+ TT. NO RESPONSE yet.
Go to Flair.

FlyAlberta
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyAlberta »

Make sure you come with some extra money stashed away as the company isn’t paying their pilots on time. First MOA payment was supposed to come Jan 30. Got delayed until end of Feb because it was more convenient for the company. Guess what, No pilots got their MOA payment for end of Feb paycheque. It’s ok though, The company is apparently going to pay up in just a few more days. WestJet group pilots don’t need money.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Is that really true that westjet is screwing around with the pay? That’s something you'd expect at a scummy 703 operator, not the second largest airline in canada. To not have that resolved in the first couple days is pretty ridiculous, to not have it resolved over a month later sounds intentional. Sorry to hear

Mountainwave
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mountainwave »

Management and WENMEC agreed that the MOA would be paid out one month in arrears. The $850/mo will be paid out one month late so that even if a pilot works one day in a month, such as the 31st of the month, this is captured and the pilot receives the payment. Apparently if a pilot flows or resigns they still receive the payment. Unfortunately, this was agreed upon after the vote was finalized.

According to the the Director of flight Ops today, there was an internal reporting issue, which is the reason for the missing payment this month. Instead they will pay it out two days late.

FlyAlberta
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyAlberta »

Shame on the WENMEC for agreeing to the initial 1 month delay as a “good gesture” without any repercussions to the company or any added benefit to the pilots. Any pilots with debts paid an extra month of interest on $850 of those debts. The MOA voting window and ratification date was specifically agreed upon to allow the company enough time to implement the pilot payments for January. Fast forward to now, the company has had 6 weeks to figure things out and they still botched it. Even if the payment comes in a few days it’s still completely unacceptable. This on top of all the other pay issues (missed OT, deadheads, etc…) we deal with month to month.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

FlyAlberta wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:46 am Shame on the WENMEC for agreeing to the initial 1 month delay as a “good gesture” without any repercussions to the company or any added benefit to the pilots. Any pilots with debts paid an extra month of interest on $850 of those debts. The MOA voting window and ratification date was specifically agreed upon to allow the company enough time to implement the pilot payments for January. Fast forward to now, the company has had 6 weeks to figure things out and they still botched it. Even if the payment comes in a few days it’s still completely unacceptable. This on top of all the other pay issues (missed OT, deadheads, etc…) we deal with month to month.
Why do you think they agreed? They were strong armed. The company is trying to beat the pilots down.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

I’d be booking off last minute for my pairings.

2 missed payments.

2 pairings I book off last minute for.

If they miss again next month, I’d be booking off last minute on 3 pairings.

What are they gonna do, suspend you? They’re so desperate for pilots all they’ll do is give you a slap on the wrist. BFD.

You’re not getting paid anyways, why not hit the company back in their bank accounts as well.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Transition9er2 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:42 pm I’d be booking off last minute for my pairings.

2 missed payments.

What are they gonna do, suspend you? They’re so desperate for pilots all they’ll do is give you a slap on the wrist. BFD.

You’re not getting paid anyways, why not hit the company back in their bank accounts as well.
They have an attendance policy now that allows them to punish pilots for booking off.

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

averageatbest wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:50 pm
Transition9er2 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:42 pm I’d be booking off last minute for my pairings.

2 missed payments.

They have an attendance policy now that allows them to punish pilots for booking off.
"Forgetting" to pay you and punishing you for booking off sick. That sounds an awful lot like labour action. Shouldn't your union be doing something about that?

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Conflicting Traffic wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:22 pm "Forgetting" to pay you and punishing you for booking off sick. That sounds an awful lot like labour action. Shouldn't your union be doing something about that?
Company has said that they are in the process of fixing the payroll error and I said that they gave themselves the ability to punish pilots for booking off sick, not that they were.

We're not quite at labour action.

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

averageatbest wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:25 pm We're not quite at labour action.
I wasn't clear. I meant that it seems like the company is taking labour action.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
capt_Z
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by capt_Z »

Final got a email for interview. Can someone shed some light on procedure and timeline for hiring?

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

capt_Z wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:30 pm
Final got a email for interview. Can someone shed some light on procedure and timeline for hiring?
It's probably changed a bit over the years, but you'll get an interview date and option for flights. You'll arrive and wait in the lobby of a shiny new-ish building with a few other interviewees. You'll get pulled into a room around the corner and conduct your interview consisting of standard HR questions and some airline specific ones that start with "tell me about a time..."

They will tell you that safety is the number one priority and that we are a big family. Take that with a grain of salt.

You may then get a tour of the building where you will notice that everything seems fairly new but everyone will keep to themselves.

GetAGripen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GetAGripen »

capt_Z wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:30 pm
They're starting to get back to in-person interviews now, so ymmv.

For me, application to interview request was ~1 week.
Interview request to interview was ~2 weeks. Reference/background check request same day.
Interview to pool was ~2 weeks.
Pool to offer was ~4 weeks. Drug/booze test asap after offer.
Class date was end of the following month.

So, application to start date was 3 months and a bit. Interview is mostly basic HR/TMAAT stuff, nothing technical. Generally DBAA and you'll be fine.

Return to “WestJet Encore”