Justice Minister Lametti floated using Tanks in Ottawa during first week of convoy protests

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Justice Minister Lametti floated using Tanks in Ottawa during first week of convoy protests

Post by rookiepilot »

Federal Attorney-General David Lametti thought it might be necessary to call in the military in response to the protests gridlocking Ottawa last winter and talked about “tanks” in the streets with Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino, according to texts tabled at the Emergencies Act inquiry on Wednesday.

“You need to get the police to move,” Mr. Lametti told Mr. Mendicino on Feb. 2, and the Canadian Armed Forces “if necessary,” he added.

How many tanks are you asking for I just wanna ask Anita how many we’ve got on hand,” Mr. Mendicino said in response, referring to Defence Minister Anita Anand.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politic ... e-streets/
---------- ADS -----------

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Justice Minister Lametti floated using Tanks in Ottawa during first week of convoy protests

Post by Liftdump »

This is concerning on so many levels

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: Justice Minister Lametti floated using Tanks in Ottawa during first week of convoy protests

Post by Old fella »

Del

Last edited by Old fella on Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Who could forget all of the barbecues and bouncy castles at the siege of Stirling.

Castle.jpg
Castle.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1733 times
368E0753-DFC1-4FA8-921F-D3F1167097FF.jpeg
368E0753-DFC1-4FA8-921F-D3F1167097FF.jpeg (232.05 KiB) Viewed 1733 times

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Worked for China and Trudeau admires their basic dictatorship.

Let’s Go Brandon
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Old fella wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:14 pm I often wondered what G7 country would permit their Capital City with its seat of Government to be under siege for three weeks. I mean can one imagine 1600 Pennsylvania Ave(White House) or City of Westminster, Central London not to mention Berlin, Rome, Paris, Tokyo letting this happen. However , I digress.
So you’re saying they should have ordered in the military on week #1?

Don’t be shy.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Old fella wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:14 pm I often wondered what G7 country would permit their Capital City with its seat of Government to be under siege for three weeks. I mean can one imagine 1600 Pennsylvania Ave(White House) or City of Westminster, Central London not to mention Berlin, Rome, Paris, Tokyo letting this happen. However , I digress.
"Under siege", really? There were trucks and cars parked on a few roads, and blocking them. There was no violence.

France has had a lot of protests in the past few years. You can try to determine for yourself what their treshold is for taking action. It's when cars get burned and shops get vandalized that they bring out the water cannon. If a bunch of people were blocking a few streets, a government official would talk to them, make some vague promises, and it would all be solved.

Ignoring a protest is probably the worst thing you can do as a government.

On the other hand, I am not surprised that the use of tanks or whatever other weapons is being considered, or if contingency plans are being made. You never know when/if a protest might turn violent. I'm actually happy they considered it and then decided against using it.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Did the bouncy castles, BBQs and ball hockey games trigger you? Did the honking horns cause you PTSD?

If you are against freedom to protest why are you living here? I’m sure commie China or North Korea might be more your style.

Let’s Go Brandon
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

"Under siege", really? There were trucks and cars parked on a few roads, and blocking them. There was no violence.

I am sure the good citizens of Ottawa downtown core certainly considered it a “siege” amongst the Confederate Flags, Swastika displays, shitting and pissing, honking and a disruption of business activities, harassment of food banks,homeless shelters and on and on. Again, I digress.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:13 am
Did the bouncy castles, BBQs and ball hockey games trigger you? Did the honking horns cause you PTSD?

If you are against freedom to protest why are you living here? I’m sure commie China or North Korea might be more your style.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Old fella wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:24 am "Under siege", really? There were trucks and cars parked on a few roads, and blocking them. There was no violence.

I am sure the good citizens of Ottawa downtown core certainly considered it a “siege” amongst the Confederate Flags, Swastika displays, shitting and pissing, honking and a disruption of business activities, harassment of food banks,homeless shelters and on and on. Again, I digress.
Actually the confederate and nazi flags were brought out by a media company to sensationalize things and try and paint the protesters in a bad light. Do some research. It was also mentioned in the EA hearings currently under way. Also they were not harassing homeless shelters. That is a lie. I was there and there was so much donated food brought in, we were actually giving food to the homeless. That’s the 100% truth. Maybe lay off the CBC news a bit old fella. It’s bad for your brain. :rolleyes:

Let’s Go Brandon
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:13 am

Since Old Fella refuses to answer my question, lets try another:

If anyone here was in the military — there are a few here on this site — and was ordered in to open fire on unarmed protesters, would you obey?

Yes or No.

I know the minister called his text on sending in armoured troops a “joke”.

I’ve leave it to you naive reader to decide if that’s true.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Actually I am my own worst enemy in that I comment on drivel posted here, I thought by now I would have walked away from this site like many of the decent contributors( you know who you are) who decided tis time to depart the fix , “ exit, stage left” like. Hopefully the light will come on in my advanced aged noggin at some point soonest, even the comedy/entertainment value here is getting stale dated :|

mmm...bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmm...bacon »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:49 pm
If anyone here was in the military — there are a few here on this site — and was ordered in to open fire on unarmed protesters, would you obey?
'They' did so at Kent State - why would the Canadian Armed Forces be any different?

mmm...bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmm...bacon »

^ Dammit! got sucked into the vortex...

Return to “Covid”