Grass strip winter maintenance options

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Grass strip winter maintenance options

Post by digits_ »

Hi all,

I'm wondering what most people do for snow removal on small grass strips.

Up until last year, I used a tractor with a pretty beefy snow blower on it. That worked quite well, but driving in reverse for 2 hours at a time, in combination with dealing with shear pins, makes me wonder if there are better options out there.

The most commonly used tool on concrete runways steems to be a snow plow, which creates a nice curl at a certain speed. I'm not so sure this would work on a somewhat uneven surface though. I'm also afraid of damaging the grass below, due to the relative high(er) speeds while clearing.

A grader seems to work good on snow covered gravel runways, but those are huge machines for a small grass strip.

What would be the best solution?
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Grass strip winter maintenance options

Post by goldeneagle »

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

goldeneagle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:54 pm Image
Are you actually using one of those? That would take a looooong time...

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

My local strip owner uses a blower too. Only blows 2/3's of the runway which leaves about 2000'. More then enough and we run 8.00x6 tires on our 170. I haven't heard him bitching about shear pins mind you. :lol:

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I have a snow blower on the rear of my tractor that works in the forward direction, so no looking over the shoulder. Haven’t used it on a grass strip though. The only time I blew a shear pin was when I ingested half a tree. Changing a shear pin is a whole lot less hassle than replacing the PTO drive.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Just buy an old pickup truck and throw a blade on it. Start the year with a much wider runway than you need

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Why clear the snow? Why not pack it. Its much faster.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Bede wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:00 am Why clear the snow? Why not pack it. Its much faster.
I haven't tried that, but I'm worried that this would make the unrway unusable for months during spring. If you pack it, I would expect it would create a strong slate of ice and snow, which will take a long time to melt. And while melting, you would likely get potholes, making the runway unusable during melting.

If someone has tried this, and if it works good, I might be convinced to give it a try though :-D

What would you use to pack the snow? A roller?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

fish4life wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:55 am Just buy an old pickup truck and throw a blade on it. Start the year with a much wider runway than you need
Have you tried it on a grass runway?

I'm concerned that, especially during the first snow, that it would destroy the grass if it cuts into the soil at a higher speed than a snowblower. But boy, I am very tempted to try this....

l_reason
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by l_reason »

You may want to try a plow but modify it with 4 longitudinal runners on the bottom of the blade. 12-18” long 1” solid bar runners with the ends bent up a bit. Weld them at an angle to match the blade angle. That will keep the blade from ripping up the grass and should only leave an inch of snow. I don’t know if you can keep the blade spring kicker working. Total investment above the cost of the blade will be $50 in steel and a case of beer for the friend that welds it on if you can’t do it yourself. This would work under a snowblower used on grass too.

fleetcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fleetcanuck »

If you get a snowmobile trail groomer you can haul it behind a tractor and it will process and pack the snow. We use one at our airport and have very good results. For most of the MB winter the runway is useable for wheels. In the spring, the runway generally clears off more quickly than the surrounding fields and drys nicely. If there is a particularly heavy snowfall we may have to do some snow blowing.

Return to “General Comments”