Year 1 take home pay YUL

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Year 1 take home pay YUL

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

As per the title. Trying to run some numbers to see if I should make the move or not.....QC preferably....Take home monthly including avg per diems and no OT.
---------- ADS -----------

negroni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Year 1 take home pay YUL

Post by negroni »

Around $3300 + perdiems. Perdiems between 0-$1300ish. $800-$1000 as a RP. If you're on the NB you'll get a bit more. If you're on reserve and don't fly, $0 obviously.

That's bare bones. You said no OT, but a bit of block growth, one or two days on reserve into G days (which you get back and are paid as overtime) it's easy to make a few hundred extra bucks a month. That said it's still overall quite shit. You probably won't feel comfortable until year 3 and by then hopefully flat pay no longer exists.

nynybear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nynybear »

Approximately $500/month than the starting salary will get you cooking french fries in a McDonald's on the West Coast. No joke.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

As I fly with a lot of Year 1 and Year 2 RPs, I note they look at the low starting flat pay as an “investment” toward higher pay later on. Often having to borrow funds to survive during that time. It reminds me of “the old days” where employers abused new hires just trying to get flying time. (Right up to JetsGo making one pay for their type rating).

Do, I agree with this? Of course not. I always voted against these pay bands. (But was outvoted).

But, until Air Canada has a hard time filling new hire classes, it’s not likely to change. And ….. the last few classes included candidates from Flair, Westjet, Sunwing, etc., so it’s not happening any time soon!

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

nynybear wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:25 pm Approximately $500/month than the starting salary will get you cooking french fries in a McDonald's on the West Coast. No joke.
Compare year five employees at Air Canada and McDonalds. THAT’S what they are aiming for. If one doesn’t mind being Junior on equipment, you can get out of flay pay during year two, hitting around $150k/yr by year four.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Well, at least the take-home percentage is good. There are some other companies right now where you need to gross $20k+ more a year to take home the same after deductions.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

DanWEC wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:10 am Well, at least the take-home percentage is good. There are some other companies right now where you need to gross $20k+ more a year to take home the same after deductions.
Highest starting pay (on a jet) - Morningstar.

At least one carrier does not see new-hire pilots as a cost saving target.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

negroni wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:14 pm Around $3300 + perdiems. Perdiems between 0-$1300ish. $800-$1000 as a RP. If you're on the NB you'll get a bit more. If you're on reserve and don't fly, $0 obviously.

That's bare bones. You said no OT, but a bit of block growth, one or two days on reserve into G days (which you get back and are paid as overtime) it's easy to make a few hundred extra bucks a month. That said it's still overall quite shit. You probably won't feel comfortable until year 3 and by then hopefully flat pay no longer exists.
Thank you Negroni

EdgarAllanPIC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EdgarAllanPIC »

Crewbunk wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:11 am As I fly with a lot of Year 1 and Year 2 RPs, I note they look at the low starting flat pay as an “investment” toward higher pay later on. Often having to borrow funds to survive during that time. It reminds me of “the old days” where employers abused new hires just trying to get flying time. (Right up to JetsGo making one pay for their type rating).

Do, I agree with this? Of course not. I always voted against these pay bands. (But was outvoted).

But, until Air Canada has a hard time filling new hire classes, it’s not likely to change. And ….. the last few classes included candidates from Flair, Westjet, Sunwing, etc., so it’s not happening any time soon!
Does FedEx, United, Delta, American, Southwest, UPS have a hard time finding new hires?

If not - why do they pay triple

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

As I was told by more experienced pilots, flat pay needs to be treated as an investment for the future - even if it involves getting into debt initially. Many people in other fields get into debt getting a master's degree or MBA later in life to increase their earning potential down the road.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:35 am As I was told by more experienced pilots, flat pay needs to be treated as an investment for the future - even if it involves getting into debt initially. Many people in other fields get into debt getting a master's degree or MBA later in life to increase their earning potential down the road.
Sarcasm right? I hope.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

2112 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:49 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:35 am As I was told by more experienced pilots, flat pay needs to be treated as an investment for the future - even if it involves getting into debt initially. Many people in other fields get into debt getting a master's degree or MBA later in life to increase their earning potential down the road.
Sarcasm right? I hope.
He's serious. Problem is the average 10 years of previous industry experience employees are bringing to AC is equivalent to that of a person having done their time studying for an 'MBA' when you are immersed in aviation. The industry having to endure AC's starting pay is a hazing ritual masked as onboarding, and the reason people tolerate it is quite literally a lack of competition and alternatives in Canada.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

This is the biggest load of shit covered with burning hair I’ve read on here in a long time.

people getting their MBA are improving and upgrading their skill set. Not doing the same work/experience level they were doing for possibly years before getting to AC.

FNGYYZ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FNGYYZ »

I just finished PIT and can't believe people were happy to get 777, 787, A330 FO spots on flat pay

Lowest Paid pilots on the planet and they seem to be OK with it?

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

EdgarAllanPIC wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:51 pm Does FedEx, United, Delta, American, Southwest, UPS have a hard time finding new hires?

If not - why do they pay triple?
Because then they’d risk losing pilots to each other. So far, AC has not had a pilot quit to go to Westjet, Flair, Transat, Swoop, etc.

Two occurrences will push AC to increase starting wages … Losing a pilot to one of its Canadian competitors. Or not being able to fill a new hire class. Until that happens, I can’t see AC voluntarily increasing flat pay.

With regard to pay generally, though. Is why do Canadian pilots accept such low wages compared to the US?

FNGYYZ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FNGYYZ »

Crewbunk wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:19 pm
EdgarAllanPIC wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:51 pm Does FedEx, United, Delta, American, Southwest, UPS have a hard time finding new hires?

Because then they’d risk losing pilots to each other. So far, AC has not had a pilot quit to go to Westjet, Flair, Transat, Swoop, etc.
UPS starting pay is $52 / hour

So do all the UPS pilots leave to FedEx, United, Delta, American and Southwest and they are in an endless cycle of hiring?

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

FNGYYZ wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:50 pm I just finished PIT and can't believe people were happy to get 777, 787, A330 FO spots on flat pay

Isn't that a bit hypocritical since you were sitting alongside those people in your PIT course?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

FNGYYZ wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:20 pm
Crewbunk wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:19 pm

UPS starting pay is $52 / hour

So do all the UPS pilots leave to FedEx, United, Delta, American and Southwest and they are in an endless cycle of hiring?
Wow
Wow
Screenshot_20221224_232040_Chrome.jpg (92.2 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
Wowza
Wowza
Screenshot_20221224_232056_Chrome.jpg (85.24 KiB) Viewed 1961 times

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

FNGYYZ wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:50 pm I just finished PIT and can't believe people were happy to get 777, 787, A330 FO spots on flat pay

No one’s okay with but I’d love to see people like you accepting your pit course step up and say something considering you took the same shit pay for your NB position.

Enjoy the position freeze as they get to see the world. You probably couldn’t get or I doubt we would see this hypocritical comment.

FNGYYZ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FNGYYZ »

Last edited by FNGYYZ on Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Air Canada”