Flair off runway excursion YKF

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Flair off runway excursion YKF

Post by rookiepilot »

YC87DRVR wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:50 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:07 am
YC87DRVR wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:58 am Certainly has happened before and will happen again, no need to hang the crew for it. Fatigue and darkness certainly wouldn’t have helped.
Funny we never hear such grace for fatigue when it's a GA pilot, even a student pilot, who exits the runway. Then it's just how stupid they must have been, and it's great sport to hang that pilot.

I'd think about that bias myself.
Well first I can see where my message could be taken wrong. I didn’t mean to let them off the hook or our fatigue rules either. Both will face scrutiny as they should. I just meant to point out that as a possibility and the reason for it.

As far as the lecture about being bias and ragging on the student pilots or GA. You won’t hear peep from me, as I couldn’t care less about that side of aviation. So no I am not being bias.
Deleted, dumb, except:

As for this incident, or others caused by an unsafe schedule, where the heck is your union?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnionDrive
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by UnionDrive »

Does flair employ TFW’s?

:smt014
Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Inverted2 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:01 pm Would a round trip YVR turn even be legal at night under the new CARS? That sounds exhausting.
Based on the check in time that someone else posted here (around 6pm or so) then they were good for 12 hours so yes, a YVR-YKF-YVR turn is possible. Tight. But possible.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

YC87DRVR wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:58 am Certainly has happened before and will happen again, no need to hang the crew for it. Fatigue and darkness certainly wouldn’t have helped.
Funny we never hear such grace for fatigue when it's a GA pilot, even a student pilot, who exits the runway. Then it's just how stupid they must have been, and it's great sport to hang that pilot.

Think about how you can take any thread and immediately turn it into shit.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

UnionDrive wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:07 pm Does flair employ TFW’s?
They just started recruiting in Africa for permanent immigrant workers because they can't find enough qualified pilots in Canada that will work for them at the current wages.

UnionDrive
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by UnionDrive »

Dry Guy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:26 pm
They just started recruiting in Africa for permanent immigrant workers because they can't find enough qualified pilots in Canada that will work for them at the current wages.
How is that even allowed? Pay your f**king pilots proper wages, and things like this won’t happen.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

UnionDrive wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:52 pm
How is that even allowed? Pay your f**king pilots proper wages, and things like this won’t happen.
Because no one cares about pilot experience or fatigue management until one of your airplanes is on the news sitting in a field. Even then I doubt they'll change anything.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

If it was in fact YKF-YVR-YKF throughout the night that is absolutely crazy. Shame on Flair for scheduling that and shame on those pilots for accepting.

Prior to covid Westjet was scheduling 37 crew’s to operate YWG-YEG(couple hour sit)-YYZ red eye. I can’t recall the exact report time or length of the sit in Edmonton. I heard from several union members it was short lived. Almost every pilot was calling in sick and a significant number of crews were even waiting till the last minute and booking off while on the sit in Edmonton in anticipation of being overly fatigued, causing a last minute flight cancelation. It wasn’t long before the company got the message, the union got involved and the company agreed to stop that madness.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

YC87DRVR wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:37 pm If it was in fact YKF-YVR-YKF throughout the night that is absolutely crazy. Shame on Flair for scheduling that and shame on those pilots for accepting.

Prior to covid Westjet was scheduling 37 crew’s to operate YWG-YEG(couple hour sit)-YYZ red eye. I can’t recall the exact report time or length of the sit in Edmonton. I heard from several union members it was short lived. Almost every pilot was calling in sick and a significant number of crews were even waiting till the last minute and booking off while on the sit in Edmonton in anticipation of being overly fatigued, causing a last minute flight cancelation. It wasn’t long before the company got the message, the union got involved and the company agreed to stop that madness.
Why would YVR-YKF at night be madness, but crossing the Atlantic at night is ok?

I agree it's madness, just not sure why only that particular brand of madness should be discouraged :)

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Aviatard wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:16 pm

Think about how you can take any thread and immediately turn it into shit.
It offends me.

Like the time, long ago, I came back from a long, multi day, time building trip for my CPL on a mega hot day, and parked in the wrong spot or something stupid. Might said something about being tired, taxing in, picked up by their Big Brother devices they recently had installed.

Some fat asswipe loser administrator in the flight school implied — no, said — to my face, zero evidence, i was partying on booze and drugs, on my trip, instead of a nice statement “be careful flying when tired”.

:roll:

Last edited by rookiepilot on Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnionDrive
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by UnionDrive »

FL030 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:31 pm
Because no one cares about pilot experience or fatigue management until one of your airplanes is on the news sitting in a field. Even then I doubt they'll change anything.
All thanks to Justin and Omar.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

digits_ wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:49 pm
YC87DRVR wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:37 pm If it was in fact YKF-YVR-YKF throughout the night that is absolutely crazy. Shame on Flair for scheduling that and shame on those pilots for accepting.

Why would YVR-YKF at night be madness, but crossing the Atlantic at night is ok?

I agree it's madness, just not sure why only that particular brand of madness should be discouraged :)
Why don’t you re-read my post?

Did I say YVR-YKF? No. I said if it was YKF-YVR-YKF. Big difference.

ATC_Anstey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ATC_Anstey »

delete

Last edited by ATC_Anstey on Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Last edited by twa22 on Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Victory wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:20 am
yepivedonethat wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:55 am Nice to know that Flair operates their business model like a 703 would. Folks enjoy your $69 tickets at the expense of having a few broken bones.
Company culture comes from the top. A chief pilot that lived in a van in the parking lot, paid for training at Jetsgo, and scabbed at Swoop to try to get ahead of everyone else, is going to be the kind of person that cuts corners and expect others to do the same.
You're a friggin idiot you know that?

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

So how did the Emirates accident happen? What about AC in SFO? Southwest in Chicago? And all the other well paid pilots who've had overruns or other incidents? Another stupid comment, surprise surprise.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

rooster wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:50 pm

So how did the Emirates accident happen? What about AC in SFO? Southwest in Chicago? And all the other well paid pilots who've had overruns or other incidents? Another stupid comment, surprise surprise.
-

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

As a GA pilot you fly once in a while, maybe for a few hours at a time. Unless you have worked as a professional pilot, you have no idea of the stress and exhaustion. These things include:
- abusive chief pilots
- 14 hour duty days, recently reduced.
- low pay, and forced to pick up extra flying to make ends meet, resulting in fatigue.
- many nights away from home.

Overall, I enjoy the job but there are many stressors that come with it. So again, unless you actually have worked as a professional pilot, it’s pretty difficult for you to truly understand.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

rooster wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:49 pm
Victory wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:20 am
yepivedonethat wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:55 am Nice to know that Flair operates their business model like a 703 would. Folks enjoy your $69 tickets at the expense of having a few broken bones.
Company culture comes from the top. A chief pilot that lived in a van in the parking lot, paid for training at Jetsgo, and scabbed at Swoop to try to get ahead of everyone else, is going to be the kind of person that cuts corners and expect others to do the same.
You're a friggin idiot you know that?
Is it not true?
#vanlife
#JetsGONE
#scab

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

YC87DRVR wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:43 pm
digits_ wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:49 pm

Why don’t you re-read my post?

Did I say YVR-YKF? No. I said if it was YKF-YVR-YKF. Big difference.
Apologies, I assumed a new crew for YVR-YKF, which in retrospect seems unlikely.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”