Flair off runway excursion YKF

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Flair off runway excursion YKF

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:04 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:19 pm Could have been fatigue. Could have been this. (Na, it could never be something like this)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Col ... light_2286
Is there particular a reason why you have posted a link to an accident where cocaine use was a factor?
That’s interesting thats what YOU took out of my case study post.
---------- ADS -----------

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:16 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:19 pm Could have been fatigue. Could have been this. (Na, it could never be something like this)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Col ... light_2286
Is there particular a reason why you have posted a link to an accident where cocaine use was a factor?
So you were referring to descent profile then? Highly unlikely if they were on an ILS or RNAV.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Just another canuck wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:23 pm

So you were referring to descent profile then? Highly unlikely if they were on an ILS or RNAV.
Unstable approach, whatever the reason. Sub par FO. Rushing. Lots going on.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:27 pm
Just another canuck wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:23 pm

Unstable approach, whatever the reason. Sub par FO. Rushing. Lots going on.
All unknown. No use speculating. As for the cocaine thing, I remember this accident and that was the main coverage for the public. Based on the way you question was asked ["Could have been this. (Na, it could never be something like this")] and with no detail, it shouldn't be surprising if it was not interpreted the way you now say wanted(only three of the four causes as a possibility).

Kind of like flying.....lack of clarity can lead to misinterpretation.

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

Any guesses what this may do to flair overall? All these aircraft are leased, are we looking at a write off for this aircraft? Will this result in significant losses for flair? It's no secret they are not creating any kind of operational profit. And havnt for a long time, so what does something like this do to their bottom line?

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Tolip wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:17 am Any guesses what this may do to flair overall? All these aircraft are leased, are we looking at a write off for this aircraft? Will this result in significant losses for flair? It's no secret they are not creating any kind of operational profit. And havnt for a long time, so what does something like this do to their bottom line?
I doubt this is a write off. The first actual hull loss for Flair will be the end of the airline. I hope the bean counters that set pilot salaries understand this (they never do).

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Tolip wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:17 am Any guesses what this may do to flair overall? All these aircraft are leased, are we looking at a write off for this aircraft?
The word is that there is very minimal, if any, damage.

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

FL030 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:14 pm
Tolip wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:17 am Any guesses what this may do to flair overall? All these aircraft are leased, are we looking at a write off for this aircraft? Will this result in significant losses for flair? It's no secret they are not creating any kind of operational profit. And havnt for a long time, so what does something like this do to their bottom line?
So exactly how do you know this? Are you the CFO? Seriously...give it a rest please.

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

GRK2 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:58 pm
So exactly how do you know this? Are you the CFO? Seriously...give it a rest please.
How exactly do I know what? I'm asking a question. The only statement I made was the that flair isnt making a profit. So I have to assume that is the point of your objection. And yes, I know they aren't making a profit. No airline in canada has reported a profit until very recently, and with the size and scope of flairs expansion and the low fares to attract market share. There is no profit. Their business model isnt even planning on being profitable for years. You have to have tbe planes and the bases and the pilots and the customers consistently to be profitable, flair is still in its baby stages ( I know its actually been around forever, but one plane doest really count) and yes, something like a write off to one of their very few aircraft In the midst of a massive expansion. It could absolutely crater the company. Better companies have gone down for alot less. But it sounds like from what I am hearing the damage isnt that bad, very fortunate.

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

Tolip wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:09 am

How exactly do I know what? I'm asking a question. The only statement I made was the that flair isnt making a profit. So I have to assume that is the point of your objection. And yes, I know they aren't making a profit. No airline in canada has reported a profit until very recently, and with the size and scope of flairs expansion and the low fares to attract market share. There is no profit. Their business model isnt even planning on being profitable for years. You have to have tbe planes and the bases and the pilots and the customers consistently to be profitable, flair is still in its baby stages ( I know its actually been around forever, but one plane doest really count) and yes, something like a write off to one of their very few aircraft In the midst of a massive expansion. It could absolutely crater the company. Better companies have gone down for alot less. But it sounds like from what I am hearing the damage isnt that bad, very fortunate.
Ok, let me rephrase the question. Based on your statement (not the question) that Flair isn't making a profit, the airline, which is privately held, does not have to open the books to the public and state whether it's profitable or not. So back to my question, unless you are the CFO or similar, how do you know anything about the financials of the Company? Or any other privately held airline? Do you know if WS is making any money? Not unless ONEX has opened their books. Stop stating that what you know is fact. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Second question, name an airline that has gone down for "alot (sp) less?" A Canadian airline?

No one in the public domain will know the extent of the damage to that hull until the inspections have been finished and the return to service has been approved by all post holders. Hopefully there was no ingestion of any FOD by either engine when they went off the end.)

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Guys, please
learn to quote
a post properly

[/quote]

if you reply to one

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

With ADS-B data out there, can anyone figure out their profile/speed/touchdown point?

Internet sleuths?

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

There is an increasing drive to save fuel by landing with a lower flap setting and to use idle reverse - this is usually in the SOPs.

I guess the increased wear on landing gear, tires and brakes is offset - but I've never seen a detailed analysis.

Some airports also want idle reverse except for safety reasons.

What I have never seen published are conditions under which you shouldn't be doing this. I have my own:-

- Not if the runway is wet or contaminated.
- Not with a tailwind.
- Not under Lovis conditions.
- Not if the landing distance required and the runway length are close together.

I won't hesitate to use max reverse if I think it's needed. There's nothing in our SOP about reduced flap landings - I don't do them.

There is another issue that is not taken into account - rubber deposits in the touchdown zone at the far end. It's possible to have minimal braking in the last 1000 - 1500' especially at airports where it doesn't rain much and the runway is wet. Under these conditions I plan to be at taxi speed by this point.

I guess the final report will show if any of the above is relevant.

In the meantime I'm curious what the policy is at other Airlines?

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

GRK2 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:29 amDo you know if WS is making any money? Not unless ONEX has opened their books.
Management at WS consistantly says that the company is not making money.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Eric Janson wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:30 am There is an increasing drive to save fuel by landing with a lower flap setting and to use idle reverse - this is usually in the SOPs.

I guess the increased wear on landing gear, tires and brakes is offset - but I've never seen a detailed analysis.

What I have never seen published are conditions under which you shouldn't be doing this. I have my own:-

- Not with a tailwind.
- Not if the landing distance required and the runway length are close together.

I won't hesitate to use max reverse if I think it's needed. There's nothing in our SOP about reduced flap landings - I don't do them.

There is another issue that is not taken into account - rubber deposits in the touchdown zone at the far end. It's possible to have minimal braking in the last 1000 - 1500' especially at airports where it doesn't rain much and the runway is wet. Under these conditions I plan to be at taxi speed by this point.

Straight from my AOM, I’m surprised to hear there is no guidance in any AOM of an aircraft with reverse thrust.

Idle reverse shall be used for normal operations and must be deployed on every landing when available. The use of reverse thrust above idle may be used based on environmental and operational considerations which include:
• Slippery or contaminated runways
• Landing with a tailwind
• Anticipated high BTMS temperatures after landing
• During any normal/Abnormal/Emergency landing condition where maximum stopping capability is required The intent of using idle reverse for normal operations is primarily to minimize incidents of foreign object damage and reduce fuel consumption. It is not to restrict the use of maximum reverse thrust if required for the safe operation of the aircraft.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Donald wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:01 am With ADS-B data out there, can anyone figure out their profile/speed/touchdown point?

Internet sleuths?
ADS-B data is here:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/FLE ... F/tracklog

The last ADS-B ping shows them 366m from the threshold of 26 at 171ft above the touchdown elevation, travelling at 133kt or 68.4m/s, descending at 750fpm.

So they would have crossed the threshold at 104ft, and presumably flared around 1900ft down the runway. What's that, 50ft high, adding an extra 1000ft to their touchdown point?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Eric Janson wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:30 am There is an increasing drive to save fuel by landing with a lower flap setting and to use idle reverse - this is usually in the SOPs.

- Not with a tailwind.

There is an interesting accident report about a QANTAS 747 that overran a runway in Bangkok quite a few years back. They had the policy for minimizing reverse and it was part of the issue resulting in the overrun. Try looking it up, it may have details of what the policy was at that tine for an airline that has been considered to be one of the safest. Even the Rain Man movie had its famous lines of "QANTAS Never Crashed".

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

CpnCrunch wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:31 am
Donald wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:01 am With ADS-B data out there, can anyone figure out their profile/speed/touchdown point?

Internet sleuths?
ADS-B data is here:

The last ADS-B ping shows them 366m from the threshold of 26 at 171ft above the touchdown elevation, travelling at 133kt or 68.4m/s, descending at 750fpm.

So they would have crossed the threshold at 104ft, and presumably flared around 1900ft down the runway. What's that, 50ft high, adding an extra 1000ft to their touchdown point?
Not too surprising, most overruns are the result of the long/fast landing.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Donald wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:15 pm
CpnCrunch wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:31 am

Internet sleuths?
ADS-B data is here:

Not too surprising, most overruns are the result of the long/fast landing.
Actually, thinking about it more, the ADS-B height data isn't accurate enough to say how far off the glideslope they were. The height is shown in 25ft increments, and is adjusted for the altimeter setting, so it could easily be out by 50ft.

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

GRK2 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:29 am
Tolip wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:09 am

Ok, let me rephrase the question. Based on your statement (not the question) that Flair isn't making a profit, the airline, which is privately held, does not have to open the books to the public and state whether it's profitable or not. So back to my question, unless you are the CFO or similar, how do you know anything about the financials of the Company? Or any other privately held airline? Do you know if WS is making any money? Not unless ONEX has opened their books. Stop stating that what you know is fact. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Second question, name an airline that has gone down for "alot (sp) less?" A Canadian airline?

No one in the public domain will know the extent of the damage to that hull until the inspections have been finished and the return to service has been approved by all post holders. Hopefully there was no ingestion of any FOD by either engine when they went off the end.)
It's not hard to connect the dots and make an informed inference. Aircanada, largest most powerful established airline in canada didnt report annoverall profit until Q three this year. You compare that to flair who has in the last year ordered 50 brand new aircraft opened a total of 7 bases (I'm aware some were already previously opened) and is in the midst of rapid (expensive) growth. It's pretty obvious that if AC has only just become profitable, WJ too from what I've read. That their is no way flair is making an operational profit, not with all the debt that comes witjh an expansion like theirs. Do I own the company? No. But do I have a brain and can connect some fairly obvious dots. Yes. Learning the qoute function on avcanada however, that is a different beast all together. Digits teach me your ways hah

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”