Frozen Brake Runway Excusion

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Frozen Brake Runway Excusion

Post by pelmet »

This incident reminds me of an event many years ago on a King Air. It was known for having brake freezing issues(although not to me at the time) and even has a mod for bleed air to the brakes on some aircraft.

We didn't have a mod and taxied out and took off on a runway with several inches of light snow. Both brakes were frozen on landing although one was worse than the other(based on tire flat spots). Fortunately, we were on a gravel runway covered in hard pack snow and only experienced 30 degrees left and right on the rollout before the icy grip was released. These PC-12 guys landed on pavement(and perhaps had a greater degree of 'ice grip').

Not sure how the brake became frozen on this aircraft to start with. I remember a very experienced King Air guy suggesting that one cool the brakes before taking off on a day with blowing snow. According to him, the brakes may have gotten warm while taxiing. Then the blowing snow hitting the brakes melts and will freeze once airborne. He suggested staying in position at the threshold for a time period to let the brakes quickly cool down in the Arctic cold air with strong winds before taking off. Has anybody tried this technique?

C-GMXD, a Pilatus PC12/47 operated by Airmedic Inc. as AM267 was on a flight
MEDEVAC under Instrument Flight Rules from Chisasibi Airport, QC (CSU2) to
destination Montreal/Saint-Hubert, QC (CYHU) with 4 passengers and 2 crew at
edge. During landing on runway 24 right, the brakes of the right wheel were frozen and the
wheel did not turn. Directional control could not be maintained and the aircraft exited
edge of track. There were no injuries, but an ambulance was called to evacuate the
patient on board. The airport was closed until 0340z.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”