Airport Radio vs. Radio

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

WarbirdJunkie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Airport Radio vs. Radio

Post by WarbirdJunkie »

I am stuck on what the difference between airport radio and radio. Recently I was in Rankin Inlet (CYRT) and was corrected for mistakenly calling "Rankin Inlet airport radio" when I should have called "Rankin Inlet radio." Furthermore, why is it that I would be able to get a clearance from radio but not airport radio. In my search I compared CFS pages to a known airport, Hay River (CYHY) where I know I need to call up centre for my clearance. I understand that in Rankin Inlet they relay my clearance from centre but is anyone able to help me with the subtle nuances between the two? Both are providing weather advisory and both CFS pages resort me to the same CAR 602.98. Any help would be much appreciated so I don't make that mistake again, and so I know where to "Put my clearance on request" vs. Calling centre for my clearance vs. receiving my clearance from "ground"
---------- ADS -----------

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Airport Radio vs. Radio

Post by Pratt X 3 »

From the CFS (pages A88-91):
NAV CANADA operates flight service stations and flight information centres that provide flight advisory and information services to enhance flight safety and efficiency. These services are obtained by calling the appropriate FSS or FIC followed by the word RADIO.
and
AIRPORT RADIO (APRT RDO):
Airport Radio service is provided by Observer/Communicators (O/Cs) who are certified to conduct aviation weather observations and radio communications to facilitate aircraft departures and arrivals (O/Cs are authorized to provide an altimeter setting for an instrument approach) at uncontrolled aerodromes (see TC AIM RAC 1.2.2).

Have Pratts - Will Travel
fredlee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fredlee »

Hello,
I think "airport radio" typically refers to a radio frequency or communication service provided at a specific airport. It is primarily used for non-towered airports or airports with limited services where a dedicated radio frequency is available for pilots to communicate with each other, as well as with ground services such as the airport manager, fuel services, or other airport personnel. In these cases, pilots generally use the airport radio frequency to announce their intentions, request services, and coordinate with other aircraft in the vicinity.
Meanwhile, "Radio" usually refers to a Flight Service Station (FSS) or a similar aviation service provider. These entities are responsible for providing flight information, weather briefings, and other services to pilots. They often use dedicated radio frequencies to communicate with pilots in a specific region or airspace. Pilots can contact the FSS to obtain weather updates, file flight plans, request clearances, and receive other aviation-related information.
Hope that this is useful tor you :D

junemagee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by junemagee »

Pratt X 3 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:52 pm From the CFS (pages A88-91):
NAV CANADA operates flight service stations and flight information centres that provide flight advisory and information services to enhance flight safety and efficiency. These services are obtained by calling the appropriate FSS or FIC followed by the word RADIO.
and
AIRPORT RADIO (APRT RDO):
Airport Radio service is provided by Observer/Communicators (O/Cs) who are certified to conduct aviation weather observations and radio communications to facilitate aircraft departures and arrivals (O/Cs are authorized to provide an altimeter setting for an instrument approach) at uncontrolled aerodromes (see TC AIM RAC 1.2.2).
Yes. Moreover, it’s possible that you were able to get a clearance from “radio” but not “airport radio” because the former is a more comprehensive service that provides flight advisory and information services, while the latter is limited to facilitating aircraft departures and arrivals at uncontrolled aerodromes.

Maskinla
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maskinla »

Flight updates, weather reports, and other services are provided by these organizations to pilots. Air traffic controllers frequently communicate with pilots in a certain area or airspace using specialized radio channels.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”