Lynx Hiring process

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jjma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lynx Hiring process

Post by jjma »

Hi,

My wife and I, we are both planning to get hired on Lynx in the nearly future. Any recommendations? advices? Does anyone knows what’s the interview like with them?
Any information about the company will help.
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Lynx Hiring process

Post by fixnfly »

I went through the hiring process not too long ago. They send you a link to fill out a bunch of HR questions which takes about 30-45 min if I recall. Then set you up with a video interview where you get to meet some of the pilots and HR and ask questions in a more casual setting. After that its a in person interview that's more formal before offering you the job. They're quite desperate for pilots so it isn't too difficult to get on but that said, they are looking for captain eligible candidates to help with their exponential growth plans. Current new hire experience levels range from 2500-5000 hours although with the pilot pool out there as dry as it is, that'll most definitely drop.

Some of the positives I found were the fact that they fly all new max aircraft and have aggressive growth plans which can help you have a decent schedule and seniority a few years down the road if they're still around. They only have 50 pilots right now but want to hit close to 500 in a year or two. The current captains are all fairly experienced with mostly expat wide body time. Chief pilot is awesome as well as the training staff. Sim is all done in Miami for a couple weeks. Plenty of overtime if you're interested and fairly quick upgrades planned in the new year. You get a pretty useful 737 type rating which allows you to hop over to AC or WJ if things don't pan out in the future. The hiring process was pretty quick and easy and HR was quite responsive.

I did find the company had quite a few negative aspects as well. They seem fairly disorganized which makes sense seeing as they're the new kid on the block. They have no type of seniority or bidding process. Everyone just gives their monthly requests to one crew scheduler and they try to make the schedule based on that. They have no Zed fare agreements or reciprocal agreements so it's pretty much impossible if you're a commuter but it's in the works although Westjet has already refused to allow one between the pilots like they did with Flair as they deem Lynx a competitor. Scheduling wise, you're working around 17 days max a month with a lot of multi day pairings. There are not as many single day pairings compared to Flair which has 13 pilot bases although that might change in the new year with their expansions plans to the states. You only get 2 weeks of vacation plus your 2 weeks of stats. Benefits wise, you only get a couple thousand dollars for a health spending account and there are no other benefits. Pay wise, they're behind and I think they're waiting for Flair to come out with a new CBA so they can match it. The main appeal to working for Lynx is that they are a new startup and want people to join if they are interested in that and the potential growth. Pay, schedule and benefits are not an appealing reason to join right now.

Last edited by fixnfly on Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jjma »

fixnfly wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:00 pm I went through the hiring process not too long ago. They send you a link to fill out a bunch of HR questions which takes about 30-45 min if I recall. Then set you up with a video interview where you get to meet some of the pilots and HR and ask questions in a more casual setting. After that its a in person interview that's more formal before offering you the job. They're quite desperate for pilots so it isn't too difficult to get on but that said, they are looking for captain eligible candidates to help with their exponential growth plans. Current new hire experience levels range from 2500-5000 hours although with the pilot pool out there as dry as it is, that'll most definitely drop.

Some of the positives I found were the fact that they fly all new max aircraft and have aggressive growth plans which can help you have a decent schedule and seniority a few years down the road if they're still around. They only have 50 pilots right now but want to hit close to 500 in a year or two. The current captains are all fairly experienced with mostly expat wide body time. Chief pilot is awesome as well as the training staff. Sim is all done in Miami for a couple weeks. Plenty of overtime if you're interested and fairly quick upgrades planned in the new year. You get a pretty useful 737 type rating which allows you to hop over to AC or WJ if things don't pan out in the future. The hiring process was pretty quick and easy and HR was quite responsive.

I did find the company had quite a few negative aspects as well. They seem fairly disorganized which makes sense seeing as they're the new kid on the block. They have no type of seniority or bidding process. Everyone just gives their monthly requests to one crew scheduler and they try to make the schedule based on that. They have no Zed fare agreements or reciprocal agreements so it's pretty much impossible if you're a commuter but it's in the works although Westjet has already refused to allow one like they did with Flair as they deem Lynx a competitor. Scheduling wise, you're working around 17 days max a month with a lot of multi day pairings. There are not as many single day pairings compared to Flair which has 13 pilot bases although that might change in the new year with their planned expansions plans to the states. You only get 2 weeks of vacation plus your 2 weeks of stats. Benefits wise, you only get a couple thousand dollars for a health spending account and there are no other benefits. Pay wise, they're behind and I think they're waiting for Flair to come out with a new CBA so they can match it. The main appeal working for Lynx is that they are a new startup and want people to join if they are interested in that and the potential growth. Pay, schedule and benefits are not an appealing reason to join right now.

Thanks so much! you actually explained absolutely everything I was wondering about the company. We are just starting the process so hopefully it turns out into a happy agreement for both parties.

Gracias for your knowledge !

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

Good info on Lynx, they've been pretty quiet so far. It was suggested some time ago that Lynx would beat Flair's new pay scale by 10%. I hope that ends up being the case.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

safetyfirst123 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:59 pm Good info on Lynx, they've been pretty quiet so far. It was suggested some time ago that Lynx would beat Flair's new pay scale by 10%. I hope that ends up being the case.
Odd promise considering that they currently pay less than Flair.

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

co-joe wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:02 pm
safetyfirst123 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:59 pm Good info on Lynx, they've been pretty quiet so far. It was suggested some time ago that Lynx would beat Flair's new pay scale by 10%. I hope that ends up being the case.
Odd promise considering that they currently pay less than Flair.
In fairness, it's something that I read here on AvCanada a couple of times, so it's hardly something I'd put money on ...

Kingair200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kingair200 »

fixnfly wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:00 pm I went through the hiring process not too long ago. They send you a link to fill out a bunch of HR questions which takes about 30-45 min if I recall. Then set you up with a video interview where you get to meet some of the pilots and HR and ask questions in a more casual setting. After that its a in person interview that's more formal before offering you the job. They're quite desperate for pilots so it isn't too difficult to get on but that said, they are looking for captain eligible candidates to help with their exponential growth plans. Current new hire experience levels range from 2500-5000 hours although with the pilot pool out there as dry as it is, that'll most definitely drop.

I did find the company had quite a few negative aspects as well. They seem fairly disorganized which makes sense seeing as they're the new kid on the block. They have no type of seniority or bidding process. Everyone just gives their monthly requests to one crew scheduler and they try to make the schedule based on that. They have no Zed fare agreements or reciprocal agreements so it's pretty much impossible if you're a commuter but it's in the works although Westjet has already refused to allow one between the pilots like they did with Flair as they deem Lynx a competitor. Scheduling wise, you're working around 17 days max a month with a lot of multi day pairings. There are not as many single day pairings compared to Flair which has 13 pilot bases although that might change in the new year with their expansions plans to the states. You only get 2 weeks of vacation plus your 2 weeks of stats. Benefits wise, you only get a couple thousand dollars for a health spending account and there are no other benefits. Pay wise, they're behind and I think they're waiting for Flair to come out with a new CBA so they can match it. The main appeal to working for Lynx is that they are a new startup and want people to join if they are interested in that and the potential growth. Pay, schedule and benefits are not an appealing reason to join right now.
any idea if they may offer yyz base in the near future?

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Kingair200 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:24 am

any idea if they may offer yyz base in the near future?
Yea YYZ is their next planned pilot base but its a pretty difficult market to recruit pilots there right now. AC, WJ, Flair, Sunwing and Porter are better paying and more stable operations in YYZ.

Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by .79 »

No YYZ base, YVR base, or any base is planned. Currently no jumpseat or Zfares. No staff travel. The flair pay match is just a rumour started here. No seniority or bidding system is in place. Captain pay is 100k a year. Many of us that started have moved on. Mostly to Cargojet and AirCanada. Those are the facts. My feeling is in 2-3 years it will be a good shop to work at, the other pilots are the only thing I miss.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

$100k .. and experience!

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
Kingair200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kingair200 »

.79 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:21 am No YYZ base, YVR base, or any base is planned. Currently no jumpseat or Zfares. No staff travel. The flair pay match is just a rumour started here. No seniority or bidding system is in place. Captain pay is 100k a year. Many of us that started have moved on. Mostly to Cargojet and AirCanada. Those are the facts. My feeling is in 2-3 years it will be a good shop to work at, the other pilots are the only thing I miss.
jumpseat, zedfares,staff travel, are those gonna improve soon or any sound of improving within the company?

100k before or after tax? how much per diem can we expect a month roughly?

Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by .79 »

Jump seats and ZED fairs are a LONG way away as far as I know. I don’t work there anymore. I know they still don’t have even internal staff travel. The 100k is before tax.

pilotguy53
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy53 »

.79 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:21 am No YYZ base, YVR base, or any base is planned. Currently no jumpseat or Zfares. No staff travel. The flair pay match is just a rumour started here. No seniority or bidding system is in place. Captain pay is 100k a year. Many of us that started have moved on. Mostly to Cargojet and AirCanada. Those are the facts. My feeling is in 2-3 years it will be a good shop to work at, the other pilots are the only thing I miss.
Care to share what the training bond is?

RobertChow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RobertChow »

pilotguy53 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:04 pm
Interested to know that as well. I assume GS happens in Calgary ?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Haha not a chance there’s a training bond. That’s unheard of at the airline level. Don’t even say such things, you’ll put thoughts in their head!

pilotguy53
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy53 »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:12 pm
Haha not a chance there’s a training bond. That’s unheard of at the airline level. Don’t even say such things, you’ll put thoughts in their head!
*Deletes stupid comment, so Lynx HR doesn't implement Training Bonds*

pilotguy53
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy53 »

.79 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:36 pm Jump seats and ZED fairs are a LONG way away as far as I know. I don’t work there anymore. I know they still don’t have even internal staff travel. The 100k is before tax.
Has Lynx made any progress on JumpSeat agreements?

MachTuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MachTuck »

Unfortunately not

sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:12 pm
Just pay to train, Jetsgo ring a bell.

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

Air Transat has a 30k-3 year Promissory Note.

Return to “Employment Forum”