Yr 1-3 take home pay

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Yr 1-3 take home pay

Post by Transition9er2 »

The numbers listed above that you’re calling BS on are in reference to yr 1. You’re talking about yr 3 and doing OT.

Big difference.
---------- ADS -----------

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

Last edited by Vanguard on Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

You made $96,000 in your first year as an FO at WestJet?

Including ground school, line indoc, time on reserve and eventually getting a solid monthly block? Not including perdiem, some weird YOS let or any other magic to pad your numbers? Just straight OT?

If this is true I would say you are more the exception than the rule. Sounds like you worked your sack off to get those numbers, in which case you deserve a solid yr. 1!!

I’ve talked with several yr. 1 FO’s and the pay is pretty consistent from everyone. $1300-$2100 take home first and second pay each month.

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

[*]
Transition9er2 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:44 pm You made $96,000 in your first year as an FO at WestJet?

Including ground school, line indoc, time on reserve and eventually getting a solid monthly block? Not including perdiem, some weird YOS let or any other magic to pad your numbers? Just straight OT?

If this is true I would say you are more the exception than the rule. Sounds like you worked your sack off to get those numbers, in which case you deserve a solid yr. 1!!

I’ve talked with several yr. 1 FO’s and the pay is pretty consistent from everyone. $1300-$2100 take home first and second pay each month.

That is correct. Not including perdiems. OT and straight time pick ups. I flew 500-600hrs of actual stick time. Had some decent layovers too!

We never had full block of res it was always mixed block. I would get about 8 days and sometimes would get block growth on reserve too. I am also not a commuter and live close enough to the airport.

I am not saying it’s all okay here however to come out here and not give proper information I’m sorry it’s not fair to people coming off 703 or wherever into 705…

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Vanguard wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:53 pm [*]
Transition9er2 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:44 pm You made $96,000 in your first year as an FO at WestJet?

That is correct. Not including perdiems. OT and straight time pick ups. I flew 500-600hrs of actual stick time. Had some decent layovers too!

We never had full block of res it was always mixed block. I would get about 8 days and sometimes would get block growth on reserve too. I am also not a commuter and live close enough to the airport.

I am not saying it’s all okay here however to come out here and not give proper information I’m sorry it’s not fair to people coming off 703 or wherever into 705…
$96,000 - $14,000 REIP = $82,000

A perfectly reasonable number for a first year FO at WestJet who puts work ahead of their own life and family.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

To the OP, plan for two pay cheques each month. One of around $1300, one around $1800. Assuming you do the full 20% match, which most do as you kinda have to really or else you’re forfeiting free money. However, as of Feb the company is introducing full reserve blocks. You will be on-call 18 days a month. You may not always get called so don’t plan on per diems. And OT is slow lately, and you may not even legally be able to pick anything up with your required days off, so don’t plan financially on OT.
$2800 take home a month for the first year.
Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Vanguard is not a Year 3 FO, he has flowed from Encore and has 8 years or so seniority. For some reason he came on to brag about his T4s and how much overtime he can work.
WJ is not the worst company to be at, but it does have the lowest take-home pay of any airline in North America. Plan accordingly if you come. All the best.

Nashbandicoot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nashbandicoot »

Canadaflyer nailed it. You likely won't be able to pick up much overtime working 18 days a month to get anywhere close to the numbers vanguard is talking about. The system changes in Feb. It will be a lot harder for a new hire.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Nashbandicoot wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:09 am Canadaflyer nailed it. You likely won't be able to pick up much overtime working 18 days a month to get anywhere close to the numbers vanguard is talking about. The system changes in Feb. It will be a lot harder for a new hire.
Yeah, they nailed it. WestJet is not the worst, but that's the best that can be said about it right now.

I dump on WJ a lot, but in fairness, they are part of the industry standard in Canada. That industry standard is an issue and all the airlines try to conform by it. Time for change!

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Problems solved. A $10 Ubereats gift card has arrived for all.
Take that inflation.

Digitz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Digitz »

Hi Canadaflyer46, could you explain what full reserve block means for new hires? Thank you.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Sounds like all the FAs are donating theirs to charity. Who the hell thinks of this shit in the office I’d love to know.

Attachments
D4E7DDEE-9DCC-43F6-B20E-28316A5DF141.jpeg
D4E7DDEE-9DCC-43F6-B20E-28316A5DF141.jpeg (161.92 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:30 pm Sounds like all the FAs are donating theirs to charity. Who the hell thinks of this shit in the office I’d love to know.
Sounds like the most needy charity might be ONEX….

Oleo 4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oleo 4 »

I’ve donated mine to the cause spearheaded by our cabin crew members.

O

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Did they really give you a 10$ Uber eat card ???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

daedalusx wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:50 am Did they really give you a 10$ Uber eat card ???

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously you couldn't make this up. Only a few months after they decided that service milestones will now be rewarded with a gift card for the WestJet shop so you can buy yourself some marked up company swag after working here for 20 years.
On the bright side, all employee groups seem to view this Uber Eats gift card as so worthless and insulting that they're all being donated to charitable organizations. So at least some good will come from it.

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

Thankyou for sharing your experience! It's good to know its possible to make a livable wage, but, ask yourself. Are you the exception, or the rule? I dont work at WJ, but I have always understood their year one fo pay to be around 60K, so forgive me. It sounds like you've found a formula that allows you make some serious improvements to the wage. But it does not change the fact that the wage is still I fact around that 60k mark for a starting FO. And that is what needs to change. Pilots need security and guaranteed wages, and should not be forced to do OT to have a livable income, or rely on investments. Just a clear and straight up fair wage. And in canada with the amount of taxes we have means a livable wage needs to be much much higher. Even banking 96K in a year, that's basically the equivalent of taking home low 60K with the harsh canadian taxes. And now with inflation, tbay 60k bearly takes you anywhere. In toronto right now rent on a 1 br appartment is 2.5 K permonth. Basically what I'm saying is even in your extraordinary example (which I commend you on) I still feel like it's not nearly good enough. How many years did it take you to get to this point, how many hours, how many crap no pay jobs? I still believe any FO at WJ or an equivalent sized airline is worth much more. FOs on smaller aircraft flying out of third world countries make the same amount or more.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Tolip wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:09 am

Thankyou for sharing your experience! It's good to know its possible to make a livable wage, but, ask yourself. Are you the exception, or the rule? I dont work at WJ, but I have always understood their year one fo pay to be around 60K, so forgive me. It sounds like you've found a formula that allows you make some serious improvements to the wage. But it does not change the fact that the wage is still I fact around that 60k mark for a starting FO. And that is what needs to change. Pilots need security and guaranteed wages, and should not be forced to do OT to have a livable income, or rely on investments. Just a clear and straight up fair wage. And in canada with the amount of taxes we have means a livable wage needs to be much much higher. Even banking 96K in a year, that's basically the equivalent of taking home low 60K with the harsh canadian taxes. And now with inflation, tbay 60k bearly takes you anywhere. In toronto right now rent on a 1 br appartment is 2.5 K permonth. Basically what I'm saying is even in your extraordinary example (which I commend you on) I still feel like it's not nearly good enough. How many years did it take you to get to this point, how many hours, how many crap no pay jobs? I still believe any FO at WJ or an equivalent sized airline is worth much more. FOs on smaller aircraft flying out of third world countries make the same amount or more.
Canada IS a third world country when it comes to pilot pay. FOs flying the same types in the US are making triple what their counterparts in Canada are paid.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Going into next year (new CA), you can pretty much ignore all posts saying you can make 90k year one. The company wants premium before reserve call out gone, and that is going to have significant impact on take home pay. “The current reserve system is dysfunctional with OT before reserve” - JA in todays video.

Everyone should expect to be taking home what their actual salary is (minus all the other stuff of course).

2200 a month.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

lostaviator wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:46 pm Going into next year (new CA), you can pretty much ignore all posts saying you can make 90k year one. The company wants premium before reserve call out gone, and that is going to have significant impact on take home pay. “The current reserve system is dysfunctional with OT before reserve” - JA in todays video.

Everyone should expect to be taking home what their actual salary is (minus all the other stuff of course).

2200 a month.
I made same as a regional fo at jazz

Return to “WestJet”