Yr 1-3 take home pay

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Inthrustwetrust
Rank 1
Rank 1

Yr 1-3 take home pay

Post by Inthrustwetrust »

What is the take home pay for yrs 1-3 on the 737
---------- ADS -----------

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Yr 1-3 take home pay

Post by daedalusx »

It’s about three fiddy

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Inthrustwetrust wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:01 pm What is the take home pay for yrs 1-3 on the 737
There's a first of the month paycheck of a relatively senior captain with around $1300 take home.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

$1300 and $1700 are the approx bi-weekly pay cheques "take home after deductions" for Year 1. The lesser cheque being if you contribute the full 20% to the match. At WJ, unlike AC, you also have to pay all your benefits for medical/dental/STD/LTD etc. Per Diems might increase this if you're called off reserve.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:25 pm $1300 and $1700 are the approx bi-weekly pay cheques "take home after deductions" for Year 1. The lesser cheque being if you contribute the full 20% to the match. At WJ, unlike AC, you also have to pay all your benefits for medical/dental/STD/LTD etc. Per Diems might increase this if you're called off reserve.
Per diem is not compensation and should not be compared to compensation for time worked and services rendered.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

averageatbest wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:38 pm
Canadaflyer46 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:25 pm $1300 and $1700 are the approx bi-weekly pay cheques "take home after deductions" for Year 1. The lesser cheque being if you contribute the full 20% to the match. At WJ, unlike AC, you also have to pay all your benefits for medical/dental/STD/LTD etc. Per Diems might increase this if you're called off reserve.
Per diem is not compensation and should not be compared to compensation for time worked and services rendered.
I 100% agree. I also have heard many first year FOs here remark that they rely on per diems to pay the bills because the pay cheques are so horrendously low.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

That’s very close to yr 1 FO at AC.

Honest question, is anyone actually ok with this? I’m legitimately curious to hear how some of us can defend these numbers and justify it to the broader group.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Transition9er2 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:51 am

Honest question, is anyone actually ok with this? I’m legitimately curious to hear how some of us can defend these numbers and justify it to the broader group.
People who don't have the future prospect of living with that salary justify it by saying "I had to live with it, so you need to learn to live with it."

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Transition9er2 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:51 am

It's unacceptable but what other option do Canadian airline pilots have. AC and others arent much better early on. We have to either accept the garbage wages or get into another career. I am hoping the US opens up as that would solve it.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:37 am It's unacceptable but what other option do Canadian airline pilots have. AC and others arent much better early on. We have to either accept the garbage wages or get into another career. I am hoping the US opens up as that would solve it.
We do not have to accept it. We can and should take a stand and force the companies' hands. They are already having trouble staffing the flights as it is.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Are those real numbers? If so I don’t know what to say other than find something else to aspire to. Pathetic.

strengthinumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by strengthinumbers »

-42 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:17 pm Are those real numbers? If so I don’t know what to say other than find something else to aspire to. Pathetic.
Sadly. Numbers are VERY real.

To clarify however, take home would be higher by a couple hundred each “month” if FO’s did not take advantage of the share purchase program.

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

The numbers are not correct.

Y3 FO - I made 160k working 10-12 days. Working 2-3 days of OT a month. Net pay for me has been 6-9k a month which I pick up OT to cover with. We also get 7310$ ever May as replacement of our cash options which you can consider as a guaranteed bonus really. I get not all great schedules but also some very nice layovers in sun destinations etc. Overall working 9-14days a month and getting pretty much all the time I need off.

My peridem are around 10k this year in addition to my salary. Its not salary and the amount above doesn't include that.

Schedule is flexible. I have 6 weeks (4 weeks and then 2 weeks of stats / that happens after 5yrs if you come direct to WJ) of vacation because of my time at Encore. Take home pay does suck due to the 20% but once the money rolls I can also pull on that. That will most likely be fixed in our negotiations. This Year I contributed 20k to it - itll double it self after 1yr vest.

Don't fall for all the negativity out there. We do have our issues but the grass is never greener anywhere including AC.

When you hear Captains make 1300$ biweekly paycheques - ask them how much they put away into their ESP and how much money they can go pull after the vest is complete. If people complain about money its because they mismanage it and have divorces they need to cover. Keep your head down and walk the fine line and its overall a great job and company to work for. We will be fighting hard to get our voice heard in negotiations. We have some of the best people representing our rights in ALPA that we all will stand with.

Last edited by Vanguard on Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Vanguard wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:29 pm My peridem are around 10k this year in addition to my salary.
Per diem is not compensation for time worked and does not belong in this conversation.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

averageatbest wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:45 pm
Vanguard wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:29 pm My peridem are around 10k this year in addition to my salary.
Per diem is not compensation for time worked and does not belong in this conversation.
Agreed. Neither does having to work 3 days of overtime a month. Also, you’ll be on reserve 18 days a month for a while so forget about working 10 days a month. This guy isn’t really a ‘year 3 FO’ as he was at Encore for several years. He’s not on reserve like the OP would be because of that seniority.

peakbagger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by peakbagger »

Vanguard wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:29 pm the grass is never greener anywhere including AC.
Slow down on the koolaid bud. That’s a bold statement.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Vanguard wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:29 pm The numbers are not correct.

Y3 FO - I made 160k working 10-12 days. Working 2-3 days of OT a month. Net pay for me has been 6-9k a month which I pick up OT to cover with. We also get 7310$ ever May as replacement of our cash options which you can consider as a guaranteed bonus really. I get not all great schedules but also some very nice layovers in sun destinations etc. Overall working 9-14days a month and getting pretty much all the time I need off.

My peridem are around 10k this year in addition to my salary.

Schedule is flexible. I have 6 weeks (4 weeks and then 2 weeks of stats / that happens after 5yrs if you come direct to WJ) of vacation because of my time at Encore. Take home pay does suck due to the 20% but once the money rolls I can also pull on that. That will most likely be fixed in our negotiations. This Year I contributed 20k to it - itll double it self after 1yr vest.

Don't fall for all the negativity out there. We do have our issues but the grass is never greener anywhere including AC.

When you hear Captains make 1300$ biweekly paycheques - ask them how much they put away into their ESP and how much money they can go pull after the vest is complete. If people complain about money its because they mismanage it and have divorces they need to cover. Keep your head down and walk the fine line and its overall a great job and company to work for. We will be fighting hard to get our voice heard in negotiations. We have some of the best people representing our rights in ALPA that we all will stand with.
That’s quite a bold statement. If captains have a problem losing 75% of their pay cheque to deductions then it’s because they’re poorly planning their finances? And ‘overall it’s a great company’: said no WestJet ever in the last year. I’d say most of us are seriously concerned about its long term survival with the decisions being made.

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

Chill boys.

I never said it was perfect nor am I drinking the kool-aid. But dont stand there and complain that your paycheque is 1300$ when you're also putting away 80k in WSP. We need to fix that issue but when you tell people externally ...oh the FOs only make 1300-1600$ - I call your bullshit too.

Per diems don't belong in conversation, agreed but I gave the full picture. I don't rely on perdiems to feed my kids.

But all this gloom and doom that you guys gave above isn't all true either. Chill it down. we are negotiations and I expect we will strike. Keep those wallets ready.

I still get paid a Y3 FO salary...You're clearly not as smart as you ought to be. You're right tho I am no longer on reserve but when I flowed over I was. We still haven't had full line reserve yet so no idea how that will all play out. February 2023...

Greasy Greaser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Greasy Greaser »

I don't have hard numbers from those years but looking at a straight net number without realizing all the extras (not per diems) is pretty dumb to put it nicely lol.

While the take home pay isn't the best (bit of an understatement lol), it really only hurts for the first year while you're accumulating funds in the WSP program.
After the one year vesting period, you SHOULD be withdrawing that money. The only exception is if you opt in TFSA on the WSP side; but you should know what and how to operate a TFSA if you are doing it. RRSP don't do until wayy later when at a high salary.

While the vesting period on the WSP should be and hopefully eliminated...the biggest problem we have here is a lot of guys/gals do not know or care about how to maximize their financials with it. The WSP is not a bank, stop treating it like that, withdraw your money when you can and vest it at the minimum; that ups your take home pay to be par/better than the doom and gloom you here.

Picking up OT to increase take home needs to be addressed, hopefully people won't need to do that in the future but we'll see.
Now come February, depending on how our new reserve system will be implemented, good luck picking up OT while being scheduled 18 days with practically grey days and seniority bidding.

Lose != Loose
TheLastonetoknow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheLastonetoknow »

So if you’re a new hire staring at 18 days of pure reserve a month and grey days in the mix, where are the guaranteed days off built in? I wonder what the max amount of reserve days consecutively you have to be on for?

Return to “WestJet”