How hard is it to get the first job after cpl

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

travelisfun
Rank 1
Rank 1

How hard is it to get the first job after cpl

Post by travelisfun »

Given I am willing to go anywhere in Canada and that I am willing to go on a road trip to knock on some operator's doors, will I be able to find a first flying job eventually with effort? How competitive are these first jobs to work on floats or to instruct?
---------- ADS -----------

Vsquared
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How hard is it to get the first job after cpl

Post by Vsquared »

Can't say what the float or instructing landscape looks like, as I have no experience there. But it wasn't the easiest thing to get my first job when things were on the up. Can't really recall seeing many, if any, entry level jobs the last few months. If you're willing to work a ramp, and stay the course, you'll end up in a seat eventually.

rwy31
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rwy31 »

its very competitive as theres no shortage of 250 hour wonders , also its a matter of pure luck / right place right time kind of thing

lowoleo22
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowoleo22 »

Float jobs pop up early in the year to prep for the Summer season. Expect a dock position until they have a flying spot available. There are jobs out there, but it can be tricky to get your first one. Make connections wherever you can, most first jobs are given by word of mouth and a good reference.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Not easy, good luck!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

It doesn’t come free but on the other hand every professional pilot you see did it so it’s not some hopeless impossibility.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

lownslow wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:35 am It doesn’t come free but on the other hand every professional pilot you see did it so it’s not some hopeless impossibility.
Sacrifices have never been higher

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

lownslow wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:35 am It doesn’t come free but on the other hand every professional pilot you see did it so it’s not some hopeless impossibility.
Survivorship bias
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

digits_ wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:46 am
Survivorship bias
Yes, definitely not some encouragement. Better to just give up.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

lownslow wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:44 pm
digits_ wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:46 am
Survivorship bias
Yes, definitely not some encouragement. Better to just give up.
Not at all. But the statement 'every profesisonal pilot you see did it', while factually correct, is quite irrelevant to the OP's question. For every professional pilot who succeeded, there are likely 1 or 2 who didn't.

Some caution would be wise before spending 60k / 80k / whatever it costs nowadays/... on getting your licenses.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Those that can, do. Those that can’t, don’t.

Avi-Nation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avi-Nation »

It's hard, I've been looking for almost a year, but I suspect not having Group 1 is hurting chances. I'm doing an instructor rating now and im happy to be doing it. Any decent job takes time, effort, experience, and luck. As long as you don't quit, who cares about the ones that didn't make it, they gave up. Look up to the people that did, and learn from them.

Vincepilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Vincepilot »

It's still difficult, I've been searching for my first job for more than a year now. I have a group 1, close to 300TT and aviation college degree but still nothing. I'm currently doing my instructor rating but it's quite expensive. I have some ramp jobs offer but it's seem a gamble to know if the 1 year of ramp they promise will not turn into a 2 or 3 years...Hope things will continue to move quilky!

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

If you can afford an instructor rating, I'd suggest doing that. Class 4 jobs are plentiful right now and it's a good way to get your ATPL hours.

firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by firstofficer »

It’s tough. I’m working in a warehouse doing manual labour. Everyday for the last year I’ve been looking for flying work but absolutely no luck. Being a minority doesn’t help anything but I’ll remain optimistic that things will change for the better especially with the World Cup coming to Canada in 2026 I believe the aviation industry will feel the pressure.

If you have the money to become an instructor I suggest you go down that road unless you’re willing to go up north. Lack of flying sure does suck.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Hangry wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:47 pm Those that can, do. Those that can’t, don’t.
I think the quote is "Those who can, do. Those who can't teach (Instruct)."

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

If you want to get in a plane then first start driving, more often then not as a low-timer you will not get hired unless there is a face to the resume. Start with the usual suspects, Thunder Airlines (YSB,YTS,YQT), Air Bravo(YSB,YQT), Sky-Care (YXL), Wilderness North (YQT,YQN), North Star (YQT,YPL,YXL), Wasaya (YQT,YPL,YXL), Slate Falls Air (YXL), Superior Airways (YRL), Excellent Adventures (YRL), Sandy Lake Seaplane (can't drive to this one sometimes catch them in KL2), Northway Aviation (YAV), Eagle Air (YAV), Adventure Air (YAX) and come spring every VFR float operation on the way west (assuming you start out from the GTA). Good luck and try to enjoy the adventure starting out in this industry can provide.

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

I found it easy. However I never once emailed a resume. I talked to pilots coming and going from the FBO I trained at. Got a feel for the industry from those working in it, and made a short list of companies I thought would be a good fit for me. Called them up, asked if I could come and have a look at their operation, if they said yes, I'd bring a resume with me and politely ask them to consider me if they had a job come up in the future.

Also, I'm sorry, it's a hard truth, but having 300TT, MIFR, aviation diploma/degree whatever is meaningless. Your competition all have the exact same credentials. You have to bring something else to the table. A demonstrated history of success or work ethic in another field etc. Worked for me.

My $0.02. Good luck.

IJNShiroyuki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IJNShiroyuki »

It's hard. I've got 530 hours, cpl, multi ifr, float rating and IATRA. Have been looking since June, emailed all entry level job listing on PCC and here. Visited almost all small operators east of winnipeg all the way to Newfoundland, and called for multiple follow ups.
Yet I'm still siting here with no job. I'm hoping with spring hiring season comes, I could have some better luck by then.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

Vincepilot wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:31 pm It's still difficult, I've been searching for my first job for more than a year now. I have a group 1, close to 300TT and aviation college degree but still nothing. I'm currently doing my instructor rating but it's quite expensive. I have some ramp jobs offer but it's seem a gamble to know if the 1 year of ramp they promise will not turn into a 2 or 3 years...Hope things will continue to move quilky!
Take the ramp spot now, this spring is shaping up to be decent WRT pilot movement in the 703/704 world and your ramp time may be significantly reduced. Worse case scenario you save up enough to finish your IR after a year of networking with other pilots.

Return to “General Comments”