Bearskin WAWCON post perimeter merger

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

gopherblack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Bearskin WAWCON post perimeter merger

Post by gopherblack »

Hi,

Anyone has any current info on Bearskin's recent WAWCON post 2018ish? I've searched the forum here but most posts seem older.

Are pilots generally happy? I've read the union contract from a pervious post here, seems like they haven't really upgraded their FO pay since 2008 almost? From 26k to 29k over 14 year period seems a bit too low. Are upgrade times still pretty long?
---------- ADS -----------

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Bearskin WAWCON post perimeter merger

Post by Turboprops »

As of maybe 4 month ago yes the FO starting pay is still like 30k a year. You do get per diems on overnight trips though so that might help a bit. Most FOs I know are just there to get the time and get out, if they get an upgrade before that great, if not they don’t want to stay in YQT any longer than they have to.

Upgrade times are short, once you have your ATPL, maybe a year on the line then you’re captain. Assuming you did well when you were an FO.

There’s supposed to be one new contract for both Perimeter and Bearskin pilots, which is taking forever because apparently EIC doesn’t want to negotiate.

It’s not a bad option if you want to stay in YQT, people I worked with were all nice. You also don’t go to shitty gravel strips, and they don’t force you to do anything unsafe, at least in my experience.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Turboprops wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:58 am
There’s supposed to be one new contract for both Perimeter and Bearskin pilots, which is taking forever because apparently EIC doesn’t want to negotiate.
Still?? I've been hearing that for over 4 years!

Perfectly handled by EIC I would say... Come one ALPA!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

digits_ wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:53 am
Turboprops wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:58 am
Still?? I've been hearing that for over 4 years!

Perfectly handled by EIC I would say... Come one ALPA!
I hate to say this, but the ALPA at Perimeter (and maybe Bearskin) is useless, they seriously don’t do anything.

birdsofafeather
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by birdsofafeather »

MECfastread said Company offered COLA increases to start because it's been stagnant for so long. Rumours from Thunder Bay is that ALPA hasn't sent a full shopping list still.

gopherblack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gopherblack »

birdsofafeather wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:25 pm MECfastread said Company offered COLA increases to start because it's been stagnant for so long. Rumours from Thunder Bay is that ALPA hasn't sent a full shopping list still.
Did they end up increasing the wages?

birdsofafeather
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by birdsofafeather »

gopherblack wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:13 pm
birdsofafeather wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:25 pm MECfastread said Company offered COLA increases to start because it's been stagnant for so long. Rumours from Thunder Bay is that ALPA hasn't sent a full shopping list still.
Did they end up increasing the wages?
No, ALPA told the pilots they were declining it on principle. They also mocked management when the company issued $50 gift cards to everyone in the company as per ALPA Canada twitter feed. I think there's more going on behind the scenes that we aren't being told by ALPA.

Return to “Employment Forum”