So much for growth

Discuss topics related to Flair Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: So much for growth

Post by Sharklasers »

tbaylx wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:32 am The thing about lessors is when you stop paying them they take their aircraft back and then you aren't flying anymore.

All our aircraft in our fleet are operating when they haven't been hit by ground service equipment :roll: and we already have the first 3 additional spring aircraft on the property. Believe whoever you'd like, but the fact that we're operating our fleet and continuing to onboard additional aircraft would seem to indicate that we're paying our lessors and that you're posting rumors to drive an agenda.
Jetsgo received delivery of its last airplane 60 days before throwing the chains on the doors.

Canada 3000 received A319 MSN 1598 9 days before abruptly shutting down.

Sky service received their last 757 4 months before the collapse

All of these things means nothing, it is unusual that flair has exported 8 painted fins in the last 6 months including 5 painted fins in the last 3 weeks. Does it mean anything? Who knows but budget airlines run until they don’t and we see the pax crying the blues on the CBC. If flair isn’t paying the leases I’m sure they would keep flying the fins until the fuel gets shut off like all the failed Canadian airlines of the past.

Flair isn’t Jetsgo and has survived to this point so I guess we will see how the summer shakes out.
---------- ADS -----------

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

Ok, so I'm hoping that I'm not being accused of "ad hominem" attacks by the OP, but I still don't' see any proof of defaults or anything that (even remotely) proves anything really. You'll have to try harder to spread the dirty laundry.

Did anyone see that Flair is helping the Ukrainian refugees with onward travel for them once they arrive in Canada? Doesn't sound much like a failing airline to me.

Standing by...

ThinMargins
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ThinMargins »

Last edited by ThinMargins on Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThinMargins
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ThinMargins »

tbaylx wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:32 am The thing about lessors is when you stop paying them they take their aircraft back and then you aren't flying anymore.

All our aircraft in our fleet are operating when they haven't been hit by ground service equipment :roll: and we already have the first 3 additional spring aircraft on the property. Believe whoever you'd like, but the fact that we're operating our fleet and continuing to onboard additional aircraft would seem to indicate that we're paying our lessors and that you're posting rumors to drive an agenda.
You are a smart person and I respect you. But in this case both you and I know that wasn’t my question.

We all know that Flair is operating these aircraft today.

I asked whether they were paying their lessors. I gave a specific tail number C-FLKJ. All you need to do, is confirm for the rest of us that Flair is not in default. You will make me a liar and you will be proved right. One phone call to the finance team and you can give everyone comfort.

Just because someone is living in a house doesn’t mean they’re paying rent. Just like it’s hard to evict deadbeat tenants, it takes time to repossess aircraft. Flair owes us honesty and transparency. People are making decisions about their careers, you should help them.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

ThinMargins wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:38 am

You are a smart person and I respect you. But in this case both you and I know that wasn’t my question.

I asked whether they were paying their lessors. I gave a specific tail number C-FLKJ. All you need to do, is confirm for the rest of us that Flair is not in default. You will make me a liar and you will be proved right. One phone call to the finance team and you can give everyone comfort.

Just because someone is living in a house doesn’t mean they’re paying rent. Just like it’s hard to evict deadbeat tenants, it takes time to repossess aircraft. Flair owes us honesty and transparency. People are making decisions about their careers, you should help them.
Do you expect an answer other than "we are paying our creditors in full and on time"?

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

averageatbest wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:11 am

Do you expect an answer other than "we are paying our creditors in full and on time"?
[/.

Last edited by daedalusx on Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Floop
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Floop »

I'd love some details on where this rumour about FLKJ's lease came from? Why that aircraft specifically?

SPR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SPR »

GRK2 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:00 am I still don't' see any proof of defaults or anything that (even remotely) proves anything really.
I posted a screenshot from the Civil Aircraft Register showing eight aircraft have left the fleet in the last two months. Is that not proof of "anything"? :smt017 Are you saying you don't believe that the screen shot is real? Because you can go verify yourself. Or are you implying that the Register can't be trusted and is, as you put it earlier, "fake news"? What part of eight aircraft being exported isn't true?

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

SPR,

What part of any of the reasons already given to you don't you understand? There has been no fleet reduction and Flair continues to acquire tails as advertised. Indeed, as already explained by tbaylx, three more tails are "on the property", and Flair continues to hire for the next year. Just because the world continues to trade/buy/sell aircraft for a tasty profit, does not mean Flair is losing tails. Registries change as owners move/buy/sell assets yet Flair still has the same number of tails on the property. If Flair has lost the numbers you claim they have, a rather large number of employees would have been furloughed, which isn't the case at all. You claim 8 have "left the fleet." The math on cew reductions only would be an over-staff of over 100 pilots if your speculations were actually true. Still hiring and growing as you might see from their website.

I asked you a question previously that you still haven't, or won't, answer. Why do you even care? What's your angle here?

You seem to take a dark delight in trying to put Flair in a bad light which, gathering by the latest responses here, is not having the effect you'd like.

Which is why your posts are looking suspiciously like you are shilling for the competition.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

SPR wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:28 pm
GRK2 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:00 am I still don't' see any proof of defaults or anything that (even remotely) proves anything really.
I posted a screenshot from the Civil Aircraft Register showing eight aircraft have left the fleet in the last two months. Is that not proof of "anything"? :smt017 Are you saying you don't believe that the screen shot is real? Because you can go verify yourself. Or are you implying that the Register can't be trusted and is, as you put it earlier, "fake news"? What part of eight aircraft being exported isn't true?

You posted a screenshot claiming it was proof of Flair defaulting on its debts. While it is proof of said and other aircraft leaving the fleet, it doesn't even come close to being proof of Flair defaulting.

You demand Flair provides answers to their financial status, yet you see no need in providing evidence to your claim? You don't see a problem with any of this? If you're so concerned with pilots having current and factual information to make an informed career decision. Why don't you help them out and provide proof of Flair going bankrupt?

Index
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Index »

Index wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:21 am
tbaylx wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:04 am
safetyfirst123 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:27 am So is this Globe and Mail story false? Like when they wrote an article saying that Sunwing was for sale, which was strongly denied by Sunwing, but later proved to be true?
777 Partners has orders for up to 134 B737's with more coming, including the 737-8-200. They sell most of them to a variety of leasing companies who then lease them to Flair, Bonza, and other airlines. 777 Partners has sold most of the aircraft it has received and this is not a new development, nor will it affect Flair's growth plans. To suggest otherwise shows a lack of understanding on how Flair is managing its fleet expansion.

The article, which was only partially quoted above, also states our 2023 fleet plans

"Discount carrier Flair Airlines has boosted its planned summer seat offerings and flights by more than 40 per cent over 2022. The Edmonton-based airline’s fleets consists of 19 Boeing 737s, capacity that falls short of the planned schedule, but will add leased planes in the months to come, said Stephen Jones, chief executive officer of Flair.

“Flair Airlines is regularly taking delivery of aircraft, and anticipate we’ll have 27 aircraft by the summer of 2023, at different bases across Canada,” he said.
Planespotters.net indicates you have 29 aircraft registered in your fleet, which also matches what is listed on the TC registry...

According to planespotters, 6 are currently parked.. all of these planes have been delivered in the last 6 months. Can you explain why they are all sitting? Only logical reason I can see at the moment is not enough crew
So to build on what SPR is asking, I am quoting my own question from December 31st, which tbaylx never bothered to answer

As of today, planespotters.net lists 22 aircraft as active with Flair, this is down 7 aircraft since my initial question on December 31st... the same with the TC registry, it shows 22 aircraft registered with Flair aswell

With that said, according to the TC registry, why has Flair lost 6 aircraft? I don't get it... their are claims three more aircraft are coming... there were already aircraft registered in the fleet a few months ago, some with Flair colours, why did those have to leave, and now they are being replaced by 3 different ones? It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and some people here, like myself and SPR, would like to understand the logic behind these moves

Take C-FLKS

This aircraft was delivered and registered to Flair in August 2022, and was immediatly stored in Marana, then Calgary, and then Tucson. It never flew once with Flair, it just stayed painted in storage for about 4 months, and then it had it's C of R cancelled Dec 2022 and the plane was returned to the lessor the next day, and is now currently still stored and has not been to delivered to a new airline yet.. so why is this, why was this plane delivered with Flair paint on it, to then sit for 4 months and then be returned to it's lessor, doesn't make much sense. This is all public information by the way

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/ ... RchHs.aspx

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... ion/rz616l

Last edited by Index on Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Index wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:26 pm
tbaylx wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:04 am

777 Partners has orders for up to 134 B737's with more coming, including the 737-8-200. They sell most of them to a variety of leasing companies who then lease them to Flair, Bonza, and other airlines. 777 Partners has sold most of the aircraft it has received and this is not a new development, nor will it affect Flair's growth plans. To suggest otherwise shows a lack of understanding on how Flair is managing its fleet expansion.

The article, which was only partially quoted above, also states our 2023 fleet plans

"Discount carrier Flair Airlines has boosted its planned summer seat offerings and flights by more than 40 per cent over 2022. The Edmonton-based airline’s fleets consists of 19 Boeing 737s, capacity that falls short of the planned schedule, but will add leased planes in the months to come, said Stephen Jones, chief executive officer of Flair.

“Flair Airlines is regularly taking delivery of aircraft, and anticipate we’ll have 27 aircraft by the summer of 2023, at different bases across Canada,” he said.
Planespotters.net indicates you have 29 aircraft registered in your fleet, which also matches what is listed on the TC registry...

According to planespotters, 6 are currently parked.. all of these planes have been delivered in the last 6 months. Can you explain why they are all sitting? Only logical reason I can see at the moment is not enough crew
So to build on what SPR is asking, I am quoting my own question from December 31st, which tbaylx never bothered to answer

As of today, planespotters.net lists 22 aircraft as active with Flair, this is down 7 aircraft since my initial question on December 31st... the TC registry now shows 23 aircraft registered with Flair, down 6 aircraft, so between the official TC registry website and planespotters.net, their is a discprency of one aircraft, which can be chalked up to where planespotters gets it's info from, and possibly not having made a recent update

With that said, according to the TC registry, why has Flair lost 6 aircraft? I don't get it... their are claims three more aircraft are coming... there were already 3 aircraft registered in the fleet a few months ago, with Flair colours, why did those have to leave, and now they are being replaced by 3 different ones? It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and some people here, like myself and SPR, would like to understand the logic behind these moves

Take C-FLKS

This aircraft was delivered and registered to Flair in August 2022, and was immediatly stored in Marana, then Calgary, and then Tucson. It never flew once with Flair, it just stayed painted in storage for about 4 months, and then it had it's C of R cancelled Dec 2022 and the plane was returned to the lessor the next day, and is now currently still stored and has not been to delivered to a new airline yet.. so why is this, why was this plane delivered with Flair paint on it, to then sit for 4 months and then be returned to it's lessor, doesn't make much sense. This is all public information by the way

The TC registry shows 22 fins, the 23rd is an archer registered to “flair sport partners” or some such.

Index
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Index »

Sharklasers wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:30 pm

As of today, planespotters.net lists 22 aircraft as active with Flair, this is down 7 aircraft since my initial question on December 31st... the TC registry now shows 23 aircraft registered with Flair, down 6 aircraft, so between the official TC registry website and planespotters.net, their is a discprency of one aircraft, which can be chalked up to where planespotters gets it's info from, and possibly not having made a recent update

With that said, according to the TC registry, why has Flair lost 6 aircraft? I don't get it... their are claims three more aircraft are coming... there were already 3 aircraft registered in the fleet a few months ago, with Flair colours, why did those have to leave, and now they are being replaced by 3 different ones? It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and some people here, like myself and SPR, would like to understand the logic behind these moves

Take C-FLKS

The TC registry shows 22 fins, the 23rd is an archer registered to “flair sport partners” or some such.
Yes you're right, I just typed flair and didn't go to the 3rd page so I missed that one, i've corrected my initial post

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Index wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:32 pm
Sharklasers wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:30 pm

Take C-FLKS

Yes you're right, I just typed flair and didn't go to the 3rd page so I missed that one, i've corrected my initial post
CFLQO and CFLRS haven’t moved in a month either I think one was the excursion. CFFEL hasn’t flown in a week.

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by braaap Braap »

GRK2 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:53 pm I call BS...unless this guy who claims to be in the know about "the leasing community" has truthful information he can post here, it's just one person making shyte up. He has some weird interest in seeing Flair fail and posts nothing but unsubstantiated rumours with some sort of wish to see the airline fail. I shudder to use the term, but it's "Fake News" unless he cares to show facts. It smells to high hell of a senior WS manager posting false information to keep Flair from "Eating Westjet's Breakfast."
I read the same thing on AvLease.com /s :lol: (complete sarcasm)

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

What kind of answer on an anonymous board for pilots to bitch would you expect. The question is obviously NOT going to be answered from any manager from any company.

Hell, Jetsgo said it was doing great when they took the new hire cheques and closed the doors, what 3 days later.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

flyinhigh wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:18 am
Hell, Jetsgo said it was doing great when they took the new hire cheques and closed the doors, what 3 days later.
Same for SKV. RG and RP knew months in advance that it was over. But it isn’t like they advertised it.

I am not drawing a parallel to Flair. Both are private companies and technically have no obligation to publicly disclose any details of their financial, commercial, or operational state which does not mean similar outcomes.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

I didn't check every single registration, however, I don't think that any of these were actually in our operational fleet if that means anything.

That is to say that while they are parked and put into Flair's control for a while, they never did go to a base and perform any revenue flights for the company. We have not heard anything about delays to the expansion plan lately. I don't know where the new machines are going but YYC gets a new base and a bunch of planes come April/May. I asked one of the YYC captains about this and he tells me that they haven't heard anything indicating that there are any problems with deliveries or tails allocated to the company.

As others have pointed out, pilots are the last to know and often only find out when their mortgage payment bounces the day after payroll was due.

SPR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SPR »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:03 pm You posted a screenshot claiming it was proof of Flair defaulting on its debts. While it is proof of said and other aircraft leaving the fleet, it doesn't even come close to being proof of Flair defaulting.

You demand Flair provides answers to their financial status, yet you see no need in providing evidence to your claim? You don't see a problem with any of this? If you're so concerned with pilots having current and factual information to make an informed career decision. Why don't you help them out and provide proof of Flair going bankrupt?
No, I didn't say anything about defaulting on debts. That was ThinMargins. You're complaining about factual information, but you can't get your facts straight. All I said was that eight aircraft were registered to Flair, painted in their livery, and configured with their seating arrangement, and then exported without earning any revenue; I was questioning the growth and "F50" plans. I never said anything about debt.

SPR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SPR »

GRK2 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:48 pm SPR,

What part of any of the reasons already given to you don't you understand? There has been no fleet reduction and Flair continues to acquire tails as advertised. Indeed, as already explained by tbaylx, three more tails are "on the property", and Flair continues to hire for the next year. Just because the world continues to trade/buy/sell aircraft for a tasty profit, does not mean Flair is losing tails. Registries change as owners move/buy/sell assets yet Flair still has the same number of tails on the property. If Flair has lost the numbers you claim they have, a rather large number of employees would have been furloughed, which isn't the case at all. You claim 8 have "left the fleet." The math on cew reductions only would be an over-staff of over 100 pilots if your speculations were actually true. Still hiring and growing as you might see from their website.

I asked you a question previously that you still haven't, or won't, answer. Why do you even care? What's your angle here?

You seem to take a dark delight in trying to put Flair in a bad light which, gathering by the latest responses here, is not having the effect you'd like.

Which is why your posts are looking suspiciously like you are shilling for the competition.
I care because Flair is constantly head-hunting pilots, making big promises to attract people, and might be setting them up for failure. The chief pilot even comments in threads about other companies to try to convince posters to apply at Flair instead because of big amazing growth plans, upgrades in six months, any base anyone could ever want, a new base in Montreal that would be opening sometime in 2021 or 2022, and for two years we were told about a contract that was promised to be ready in two weeks. If everything is constantly sunshine and roses, and management is promising the moon and the stars, those are big red flags that they're having trouble attracting and retaining people, so a major warning like aircraft being exported when there are supposedly incredible growth plans is serious indication that something could be wrong.

But maybe not. Maybe everything is great, and this is just a financial system by lessors to try to maximize profits. It doesn't seem like that to me, it seems like a shell game with tails being shuffled around after huge expenditures on paint and configuration, but maybe it's not. If it's not, that's egg on my face. But if it is, and management is making promises that they can't keep regarding upgrade times and base openings, then pilots are going to get burned. Pilots are leaving good jobs to go to Flair in the expectation that they'll be upgraded in six months at their desired base, so if the growth isn't happening and those upgrades aren't happening then a lot of people are going to be hurt. If it's a game of musical chairs, pilots are going to be burned if the music has already stopped. Worse still, if the company is in financial trouble, everyone who works there is going to be burned. Trying to entice people to give up on other jobs to go work there when there are problems would be massively unethical.

The company has been chronically understaffed for the last year at least, as demonstrated by attempts at recruiting South African pilots (which I don't like about Flair, just like I can't stand Sunwing for trying to import TFWs), so losing those tails might have just brought the fleet down to a level that it can actually crew. As you'll note I stated above, they never actually flew for Flair, so there wouldn't have been any need for layoffs, because there wasn't a reduction in flying. Perhaps the growth plans were too ambitious, and there isn't enough flying for thirty aircraft, or even twenty-five aircraft, in the near future. Perhaps the staffing situation is too critical to allow for thirty aircraft, or even twenty-five. In any case, if those eight tails were never meant to operate for Flair, then there hasn't been any fleet growth in the last six months; if Flair is still hiring constantly then the recruitment isn't due to growth, it's due to attrition. If there's no growth, there's no movement, there are no upgrades, and there may not be openings at the bases where new hires want to live. There are a lot of big promises being made, and I don't think Flair can live up to them, so I'll be watching very keenly to see if those three tails actually get added in the spring.

Return to “Flair Airlines”