AME Pay-scale 2022

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

AME Pay-scale 2022

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Hello fellow AME’s;

I’d like to attempt to collect some data on current AME wages for 2022, which seem all over the road in Canada these days. It’s almost non existent on job ads or publicly posted at all anymore.

Perhaps let’s start with particulars of each AME position you have held (and the year applicable) or currently hold;

•Years licensed
•M1 and or M2 (also E & S)
•Type of operation (604, 702-705 and or MRO)
•Number of endorsements (types included would be interesting)
•Pay-scale / Hourly rate and or ‘Day Rate’ (contract or full time)
•Expected overtime, travel, on-call, shift work, etc
•Average hours worked in a year
•Benefits such as DPSP, health, etc.
•Stipends such as;
••Signing bonus’
••Away from base pay
••Flight Pay
••Inspection Pay
••Overtime (1.5x, 2x,banked time, hours of averaging etc.)
••Mileage
••Computer/ cellphone allowances
••PPE / Workwear allowances
••etc.

Company names need not be mentioned if you’re concerned. I think this would be an informative thread for us to evaluate as professionals. I don’t understand why this topic isn’t more discussed on these forums, but I’ll give it a try here.
---------- ADS -----------

040hurts
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: AME Pay-scale 2022

Post by 040hurts »

Why don’t you start us off Bug_Stomper_01?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

040hurts wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:13 pm Why don’t you start us off Bug_Stomper_01?
I would but I’m primarily in the USA now. My contract rates vary from job to job, for very select customers, it’s not a good base line. I’m trying to see what guys in Canada that are here full time
Are doing.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

For those that may not know, the AME's at Canada's Largest Airline are stuck in a Union with the Baggage Smashers. Grossly out numbered, and out voted, the Skilled / Licensed AME's have been screwed over for decades.

There have been numerous attempts to break free of the Union, without success.

A very sad state of affairs!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Stu Pidasso wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:20 pm For those that may not know, the AME's at Canada's Largest Airline are stuck in a Union with the Baggage Smashers. Grossly out numbered, and out voted, the Skilled / Licensed AME's have been screwed over for decades.

There have been numerous attempts to break free of the Union, without success.

A very sad state of affairs!
It’s really a very sad situation, and I’m well aware. I’m attempting to get some salaries listed here like the pilots are doing in the 2022 salaries threads.
As AME’s, we’re inherently fewer in number, and even less so on this forum I think.
I hope there will be some contributions for the data I’ve suggested to share here so there’s some more transparency with what our community of AME’s are actually being paid and for what.

Fling Wing
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fling Wing »

135 k yearly salary, no flight pay, grease wiper, no book signing here yet, was before came here though. 2 on 2 off, all incidentals taken care of ( parking, milage, ect) Company matching retirement depending on how well they did (50% match bad year, 75% match good year) + 4-5k bonus @ xmas. 10 yrs exp. choppers whole career

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Fling Wing wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:20 pm 135 k yearly salary, no flight pay, grease wiper, no book signing here yet, was before came here though. 2 on 2 off, all incidentals taken care of ( parking, milage, ect) Company matching retirement depending on how well they did (50% match bad year, 75% match good year) + 4-5k bonus @ xmas. 10 yrs exp. choppers whole career
“No book signing”? As in you’re not signing maintenance releases? Is this Canada?

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:51 pm “No book signing”? As in you’re not signing maintenance releases? Is this Canada?
Yes that is possible. The big logging company on island just recently increased the pay for the 2nds substantially. Mind you this is for an endorsed licensed experienced engineer. Flight pay is the catch. My understanding is its 425/day plus 50/hr. On fires with 4 hr mins 625/day. Standard 8hr 825/day logging or fires. Crew chiefs much larger pay. 2 on 2 off schedule. So if a guy spent the whole year in the hangar then a base pay of 82K is guaranteed. Get snowmen every day on tour then a guy could feasibly make 150k. Real yearly number is in between obviously.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

SeptRepair wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:13 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:51 pm “No book signing”? As in you’re not signing maintenance releases? Is this Canada?
Yes that is possible. The big logging company on island just recently increased the pay for the 2nds substantially. Mind you this is for an endorsed licensed experienced engineer. Flight pay is the catch. My understanding is its 425/day plus 50/hr. On fires with 4 hr mins 625/day. Standard 8hr 825/day logging or fires. Crew chiefs much larger pay. 2 on 2 off schedule. So if a guy spent the whole year in the hangar then a base pay of 82K is guaranteed. Get snowmen every day on tour then a guy could feasibly make 150k. Real yearly number is in between obviously.
425/ day is remnant of rates 25 f’n years ago, that’s grossly low

Fling Wing
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fling Wing »

Pretty Common on Large helicopters, always 2 if not 3 licensed guys. Crew cheif does the paperwork, we can sign if hes's sick/ has to leave for family emergency ect.. No this is not a Logging job, quite the oposite.

Lets hear what everyone else has, knowledge is power this time of year.
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:51 pm
Fling Wing wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:20 pm 135 k yearly salary, no flight pay, grease wiper, no book signing here yet, was before came here though. 2 on 2 off, all incidentals taken care of ( parking, milage, ect) Company matching retirement depending on how well they did (50% match bad year, 75% match good year) + 4-5k bonus @ xmas. 10 yrs exp. choppers whole career
“No book signing”? As in you’re not signing maintenance releases? Is this Canada?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Fling Wing wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:19 pm Pretty Common on Large helicopters, always 2 if not 3 licensed guys. Crew cheif does the paperwork, we can sign if hes's sick/ has to leave for family emergency ect.. No this is not a Logging job, quite the oposite.

Yep absolutely that’s what I’m wanting to get here, thanks for your input!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Fling Wing wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:19 pm Pretty Common on Large helicopters, always 2 if not 3 licensed guys. Crew cheif does the paperwork, we can sign if hes's sick/ has to leave for family emergency ect.. No this is not a Logging job, quite the oposite.

Sounds like IFR / transport category aircraft, likely 76, 139 or larger. Done that and semi liked it, as long as the schedule didn’t habitually change for mismanaged manpower.

shaune
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shaune »

32 years at this location total of 36 years since graduating airplane fixin school.
M1 and M2
702/703 operation
Not endorsements but ACA….2 out of the possible 4 in the hangar.
Hourly at $38
There is seasonal overtime, with travel to other bases. No on call and Monday to Friday in “slow” season, and a modified work schedule in the busy season No shift work but you could usually be working into the evenings during the busy season.
37 1/3 hours a week, overtime average in the busy season is 300ish or more if you want it. (if you you are creative)
Medical, dental, sick days, life insurance, at this stage I have 6 weeks holidays.
Signing bonus….haha, no
Away from base, nope
Flight pay, nope
Inspection pay…never heard of it
O.T. first 4 hrs is 1.5, then double time. Stat pay on …. Stat holidays.
Mileage, no
Cellphone use, ha…we wish.
Any required PPE is supplied, boot allowance every 2 hrs up to $200
We get a meal allowance when away from base that one has to put in for…can’t remember the amounts.

Successfully providing disappointment.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

shaune wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:44 pm 32 years at this location total of 36 years since graduating airplane fixin school.
M1 and M2
702/703 operation
Not endorsements but ACA….2 out of the possible 4 in the hangar.
Hourly at $38
There is seasonal overtime, with travel to other bases. No on call and Monday to Friday in “slow” season, and a modified work schedule in the busy season No shift work but you could usually be working into the evenings during the busy season.
37 1/3 hours a week, overtime average in the busy season is 300ish or more if you want it. (if you you are creative)
Medical, dental, sick days, life insurance, at this stage I have 6 weeks holidays.
Signing bonus….haha, no
Away from base, nope
Flight pay, nope
Inspection pay…never heard of it
O.T. first 4 hrs is 1.5, then double time. Stat pay on …. Stat holidays.
Mileage, no
Cellphone use, ha…we wish.
Any required PPE is supplied, boot allowance every 2 hrs up to $200
We get a meal allowance when away from base that one has to put in for…can’t remember the amounts.
Thanks for contributing, this is a very average deal from what I’ve heard in fixed wing land. PS, inspection pay is a bonus for signing inspections dependant on how in depth (150, 300, 600, 1200hr etc). You get paid more for larger or more in depth work is the idea. Cheers!

Return to “General Comments”