Pilot Physicians

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ExtraButtery
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pilot Physicians

Post by ExtraButtery »

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea of pilots who also practice medicine (ex. family medicine). Interested in both fields and hope to explore both in the future.
---------- ADS -----------

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Pilot Physicians

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

ExtraButtery wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:08 pm Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea of pilots who also practice medicine (ex. family medicine). Interested in both fields and hope to explore both in the future.
I know of a few that do both. Always thought they made me look bad for “just” being a pilot. Damn those overachievers! 😆

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

You're local airport should have a few of these people. They usually fly Cirrus SR20s (Some are fancy with SR22s) and v tail bonanzas. They claim that they "wouldn't be caught dead in a 172"

Pretty ironic since the Cirrus and V tails are nicknamed doctor killer and OG doctor killers respectively.

I think the Piper Mirage falls under the doctor killer list too, however you probably need to be a surgeon to afford that one.

Good luck on your MCAT!

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

I don’t think the original poster is referring to the weekend warrior pilot doctors. I have heard there are Pilots at Air Canada who are also fully fledged medical doctors. They are mostly senior wide-body pilots who only work 9 days a month.

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

Dronepiper wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:19 pm I don’t think the original poster is referring to the weekend warrior pilot doctors. I have heard there are Pilots at Air Canada who are also fully fledged medical doctors. They are mostly senior wide-body pilots who only work 9 days a month.
I didn't even think this was possible. Don't tell my mother!!!!!

ExtraButtery
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ExtraButtery »

Dronepiper wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:19 pm I don’t think the original poster is referring to the weekend warrior pilot doctors. I have heard there are Pilots at Air Canada who are also fully fledged medical doctors. They are mostly senior wide-body pilots who only work 9 days a month.

Yes exactly. More looking at the commercial pilot role.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Trevor Gilmore comes to mind. Retired from AC, still practicing medicine.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

photofly wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:48 pm Trevor Gilmore comes to mind. Retired from AC, still practicing medicine.
Trevor is fantastic. He's got an awful lot going on up there in Richmond Hill though.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

There are a few. There was a pilot at Sunwing who was also a plastic surgeon.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

There are a few RCAF Flight Surgeons who qualified as pilots prior to going to medical school. The ironic thing with that is that they incurred less obligatory service (5 years) for medical school than for pilot training (7 years).

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

My CAME is a 705 capt.

Senior WB capt at AC working 9 days a month? I thought those days were long gone. A friend is quite senior and plans on close to double that monthly.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

photofly wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:48 pm Trevor Gilmore comes to mind. Retired from AC, still practicing medicine.
Great aviation doctor and too many stories to tell. Multi talented and his licence plate says CORONER

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!

Return to “General Comments”