Group 1 IR 6/6/6 Currency

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Flyer98
Rank 0
Rank 0

Group 1 IR 6/6/6 Currency

Post by Flyer98 »

Hello All,

Background: I did my initial group 1 IR in March 2021 and therefore the 24 month currency period is due to expire in 2 months. In the last 6 months I have logged 5 hours of instrument time in an FTD with an instructor. However, only 2.5 of that was multi, including 2 approaches.

I have a sim eval coming up and they informed me I must have a current group 1 IR. Wondering if I require 1 additional hour of instrument time and 4 additional approaches, or 3.5 hours of instrument multi time and those 4 approaches to be current.

I can not find any mention of the 6/6/6 rule requiring the time to be done in multi-engine AC in CARS 401.05, the standards, or the advisory circular. I realize I will require an IPC to keep the rating current before the 24 month period is over and plan to complete that, but not sure if the timing will work out before the sim eval.

Any knowledge or experience relating to this type of scenario would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Group 1 IR 6/6/6 Currency

Post by final28 »

The excerpt below from the CARs should apply to your situation. I think the key part is the “ the same category as the aircraft”. If you need Group 1 currency your 6 and 6 need to be in a multi.

CAR 401.05(3.1) No holder of a Canadian pilot licence endorsed with an instrument rating or to which is attached instrument rating privileges shall exercise the privileges of the instrument rating unless, following the first day of the 13th month after the completion date of a test referred to in subsection (3) and within six months before the flight, the holder has

(a) acquired six hours of instrument time; and

(b) completed six instrument approaches in an aircraft in actual or simulated instrument meteorological conditions, or in a Level B, C or D simulator or an approved flight training device configured for the same category as the aircraft

(i) under the supervision of a person who holds the qualifications referred to in subsection 425.21(9) of Standard 425 — Flight Training, or

(ii) while acting as a flight instructor conducting training in respect of the endorsement of a flight crew licence or permit with an instrument rating.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Group 1 IR 6/6/6 Currency

Post by digits_ »

Category = helicopter or fixed wing
Class = single / multi / land / sea

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship