Best cub sim

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Best cub sim

Post by rigpiggy »

Got a buddy who's wife have him lessons on a supercub. He wants to practice on a SIM first what is best simulator program with a piper cub model?
---------- ADS -----------

citabriaguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Best cub sim

Post by citabriaguy »

Would it be possible to set him up with a tricycle that he can push around a big room from the opposite end?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Don’t do it! At that stage a sim is largely negative training.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The best sim for Piper Cub training will be one of these:

To be used while holding one of these:

Note, yellow is the preferred colour.

TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TrilliumFlt »

Head out to the local Walmart; grab a shopping cart and then run as fast as he can across the parking lot pushing it backwards. For "advanced" training he could hang something heavy on the handle to simulate the weight of the engine and then try it again.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

TrilliumFlt wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:37 am Head out to the local Walmart; grab a shopping cart and then run as fast as he can across the parking lot pushing it backwards. For "advanced" training he could hang something heavy on the handle to simulate the weight of the engine and then try it again.
For extra realism, put about $200k of fresh eggs in the cart, too.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TrilliumFlt »

photofly wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:39 am
TrilliumFlt wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:37 am Head out to the local Walmart; grab a shopping cart and then run as fast as he can across the parking lot pushing it backwards. For "advanced" training he could hang something heavy on the handle to simulate the weight of the engine and then try it again.
For extra realism, put about $200k of fresh eggs in the cart, too.
Perfect, should be able to score a PPC with that kind of quality training completed. :wink:

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

lownslow wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:29 pm Don’t do it! At that stage a sim is largely negative training.
Don't know about that. The kid for 11th birthday was given choice day of skiing or can flight.....Went to the school, rode along"just want photos of kid". About 20 minutes in with the kid basically holding private pilot tolerance, instructor looks back at me "flight simer? Me "Yep". I hate flight simmers, can't teach them anything.

TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TrilliumFlt »

PilotDAR wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:50 am The best sim for Piper Cub training will be one of these:

To be used while holding one of these:

Note, yellow is the preferred colour.
You could add a IMC conditions to this model and get some instrument time logged as well. :wink:

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

rigpiggy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:08 pm Got a buddy who's wife have him lessons on a supercub. He wants to practice on a SIM first what is best simulator program with a piper cub model?
I would make a paper trainer. Print out the cockpit and stick it on the wall and practice using the checklist that they use. I bet those schools make bank from students taking forever to complete the checklist with the engine running on the ground.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

How long a checklist do you need in a cub?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

photofly wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:24 pm How long a checklist do you need in a cub?
Depends who's defining the "need".

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

If it’s just a j-3 cub I can’t think of almost anything that would require a checklist. They don’t have flaps, no mixture control, lots don’t even have a battery or electrical system.
Checklist
Mags on both
Primer in
Carb heat off
Go flying

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

5x5 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:31 am
photofly wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:24 pm How long a checklist do you need in a cub?
Depends who's defining the "need".
Assume CAR602.60 is defining the need.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The FAA approved Flight manual for the PA18-150 does not include a checklist. So a common sense approach to assuring that the airplane is properly configured for the next phase of flight would be wise.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

My interpretation of 602.60 is that the checklist (or placards) that are mandatory for carrying on board don't have to be provided in the flight manual or by the manufacturer. The checklist (or placards) does/do have to "enable the aircraft to be operated in accordance with limitations specified in the aircraft flight manual, aircraft operating manual, pilot operating handbook or any equivalent document provided by the manufacturer;"

It also says:
A checklist or placards referred to in paragraph (1)(a) shall enable the aircraft to be operated in normal, abnormal and emergency conditions and shall include
(a) a pre-start check;
(b) a pre-take-off check;
(c) a post-take-off check;
(d) a pre-landing check; and
(e) emergency procedures.
(my emphasis)

I think that means that if the manufacturer didn't give you a checklist (or placards) including those items, you should create one, in order to be able to carry it on board.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

photofly wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:21 pm My interpretation of 602.60 is that the checklist (or placards) that are mandatory for carrying on board don't have to be provided in the flight manual or by the manufacturer. The checklist (or placards) does/do have to "enable the aircraft to be operated in accordance with limitations specified in the aircraft flight manual, aircraft operating manual, pilot operating handbook or any equivalent document provided by the manufacturer;"

It also says:
A checklist or placards referred to in paragraph (1)(a) shall enable the aircraft to be operated in normal, abnormal and emergency conditions and shall include
(a) a pre-start check;
(b) a pre-take-off check;
(c) a post-take-off check;
(d) a pre-landing check; and
(e) emergency procedures.
(my emphasis)

I think that means that if the manufacturer didn't give you a checklist (or placards) including those items, you should create one, in order to be able to carry it on board.
The manufacturer didn’t make one because a cub is dead simple, can’t even think of something that would be on a post take off check for a fixed gear, no flap, no mixture, no electrical system aircraft

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

That was kind of my point. Hard for an FTU to milk a student with checklistitis in a cub.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

photofly wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:03 pm That was kind of my point. Hard for an FTU to milk a student with checklistitis in a cub.
But it’s a “SuperCub” so that means an extra thingamagigger leaver for the prop I think… Our friends to the south would consider it a “complex” aircraft. Go figure!

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:45 am But it’s a “SuperCub” so that means an extra thingamagigger leaver for the prop I think… Our friends to the south would consider it a “complex” aircraft. Go figure!
Every 'SuperCub' I flew had a fixed pitch propeller, flaps, electric system and a 150hp engine.

Return to “Flight Training”