Tabs on Control Surfaces

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

alwayslearning
Rank 0
Rank 0

Tabs on Control Surfaces

Post by alwayslearning »

I'm very confused and wanted some clarity if I can get it. I'm reading about 3 different tabs on aircraft, balance tabs, servo tabs, and anti-servo tabs. Everything will be related to an elevator.

A balance tab moves in response to you moving the control column up or down and helps you move the control column.

A servo tab is on a free floating elevator and when you pull back on the stick, you are moving the servo tab which then moves the elevator using aerodynamic forces.

An anti-servo tab is more like an anti-balance tab and when you move the elevator up or down, the anti-servo tab adds control pressure.

Am I getting this right?
---------- ADS -----------

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Tabs on Control Surfaces

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

You're basically correct. The terminology can vary a bit depending on what source you look at. For example, what you're referring to as a 'Balance Tab' can also be called a 'Servo Tab'. It's not required that the control surface be free floating for the tab to be considered a servo tab. Also, note that a single tab can serve two purposes. For example, the trim tab on a Piper Cherokee is also an anti-servo tab.
---------- ADS -----------

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.

Return to “Flight Training”