Overtime for new hires

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Overtime for new hires

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Under the new reserve system any pilot on reserve is locked out of the company overtime/pickup board. Can only trade reserve for reserve.
I’m not sure if AC has a similar system, but you’d only be on reserve for a few months there anyway. As shown in another post it’s currently YEARS to get off reserve in YYC. All while taking home $1200 pay cheques as a new FO and not being able to pick up a single day of overtime.
Something to bear in mine that you won’t see in the numerous job ads this company posts.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Canadaflyer46 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rando
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Overtime for new hires

Post by rando »

It’s like the less a company pays, the more willing people are to work OT.

It should be the opposite. If you are on the bottom of the pay scale, paid 1/3 of what someone else is making. Let the company pay for the senior pilot to work. Maybe OT should be paid at highest years of service to whoever covers the flying. Time to fix those contracts.

I believe collectively working less OT, regardless of seniority, will be a significant part of obtaining contractual gains. No one should have to work OT to make enough to scrape by financially each month.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

rando wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:55 am It’s like the less a company pays, the more willing people are to work OT.

It should be the opposite. If you are on the bottom of the pay scale, paid 1/3 of what someone else is making. Let the company pay for the senior pilot to work. Maybe OT should be paid at highest years of service to whoever covers the flying. Time to fix those contracts.

I believe collectively working less OT, regardless of seniority, will be a significant part of obtaining contractual gains. No one should have to work OT to make enough to scrape by financially each month.
100% agree. People shouldn’t have to rely on OT to pay the bills. WJ has been successful in keeping pilots so cash poor over the years that it has become a necessity for many. Hopefully better times are around the corner. If not the resulting job action in these negots may well spell the end for the company.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I find it so odd that senior people can't bid reserve even if they wanted to. I can see there would be extra operations costs with having senior people pass and having to pay someone to go down the list calling until someone wants to fly or has nobody underneath them, but is it really that big of a deal to implement?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

MOA signed today to allow reserve pilots to pick up overtime on a "trial basis". Of course dare to dream, maybe with the next CA we won't have to rely on overtime to pay the bills...

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:24 pm MOA signed today to allow reserve pilots to pick up overtime on a "trial basis". Of course dare to dream, maybe with the next CA we won't have to rely on overtime to pay the bills...

HAHAHAHA.

We're not Delta, United, Air France, British Airways or Lufthansa...

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:24 pm MOA signed today to allow reserve pilots to pick up overtime on a "trial basis". Of course dare to dream, maybe with the next CA we won't have to rely on overtime to pay the bills...
The fact that this a MOA on a "trial basis" shows how [expletive] out to lunch WestJet management is. I don't give a [expletive] about this [expletive] company anymore. I've expended way to much energy and emotion on this group of dollar-sign for eyes executives with no care about anybody but themselves and their Onex overlords.

countdown
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by countdown »

So (expiative) Leave!!

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

countdown wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:49 am So (expiative) Leave!!
Don't you worry, I am in the process of being one of the hundreds.

Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

countdown wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:49 am So (expiative) Leave!!

If this is truly your response to this situation and do not see that this place is in serious/dire trouble then I want some of what you're smoking.

countdown
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by countdown »

My response to this situation does not include ranting and bitching on a public forum.

Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

You're right, how dare someone complain on a public forum, on a thread about one of the many ways that our employer is seemingly actively trying to destroy the company.

Three years ago you'd almost never see these type of discussions about WJ unless it was a union supporter vs a Kool-aid drinker. Nowadays you see the same opinions from almost all pilots, from all bases, from all tenures.

It truly is sad what they have done to this once great place of work.

Return to “WestJet”