What’s going on Sunwing?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

What’s going on Sunwing?

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

The missus and I booked from YQB to Honduras return a couple of weeks ago. Just got an email stating that due to operational circumstances that our flights would depart and return from YUL next month.

What gives? Your airline seems to be in absolute shambles!

That’s my rant for the day!!!

TPC
---------- ADS -----------

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: What’s going on Sunwing?

Post by averageatbest »

They thought that they could lie to the government and tell them that there are not enough pilots, therefore they need Temporary Foreign Workers (paid at a higher monthly salary than their permanent pilots) to fill the gap. Their effort to reduce WAWCONs backfired and now they have significantly less workforce than required to fly the schedule they sold tickets for.

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

averageatbest wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:14 pm They thought that they could lie to the government and tell them that there are not enough pilots, therefore they need Temporary Foreign Workers (paid at a higher monthly salary than their permanent pilots) to fill the gap. Their effort to reduce WAWCONs backfired and now they have significantly less workforce than required to fly the schedule they sold tickets for.
Exactly right. And yet the Union is being blamed by some for "nearly bankrupting" the company in the process of fighting against this unfair practice. The sad thing is that customers such as TPC above suffer the consequences of poor management.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Is it just me? Or does the word unethical seem to describe Canada as a whole? I agree with PP’s assessment that under JT’s watch everything in Canada really does seem broken. In my five decades circling the sun I can’t recall experiencing anything like we are today.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

First off - incredibly sorry you got burned by this experience.
Second - why in the heck would you book Sunwing?!
Third - they (Sunwing management) need an absolute headshake.

This publicly blaming the gov for not allowing TFWs is just absolute bullshit. They don't even put in an effort to draw Canadian pilots. And they've been around for years scamming this industry.

If they took time to reevaluate their package for flight crew, it probably wouldn't take much to really build something and start sucking up all the floaters from other 737 operators. I think they are so far gone and so commited to this route though, that there is not much they **will** (from can) do tbh.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:27 am First off - incredibly sorry you got burned by this experience.

This publicly blaming the gov for not allowing TFWs is just absolute bullshit. They don't even put in an effort to draw Canadian pilots. And they've been around for years scamming this industry.

If they took time to reevaluate their package for flight crew, it probably wouldn't take much to really build something and start sucking up all the floaters from other 737 operators. I think they are so far gone and so commited to this route though, that there is not much they can do tbh.
Absolutely. And no disrespect to the Canadian Sunwing drivers.

But Sunwing is and always has been opportunism and taking advantage of a weak Canadian system by TUI. It's mostly a place to dump lift and utilize multimillion dollar machines and employees in the Euro slow season.

It was never made to be sustainable and for 18 years these guys can't believe they've gotten away with running this business model. They even got a half billion from our government! Was the EU or German Parliament cutting cheques for Canadian airlines?

I remember when they started, having an ATP and 5 or 6 or 8 thousands of hours and you still wouldn't meet Sunwing's basic requirements for an interview, meanwhile they got LMOs and imported Euro TFWs. Remember how many experienced pilots there were then that they wouldn't even look at? You reap what you sew.

If they can't make a Canadian airline run with Canadian pilots year round with what they are doing then they had better think of doing it differently.

And really this goes business wide. If all Canadian airlines are short pilots or can't retain pilots, if there's a shortage m, they brought it on themselves and they had better get out their chequebooks and make it a desirable career path again for the guys up front.

From the bottom to the top of it's time for us all to GET PAID.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:27 am First off - incredibly sorry you got burned by this experience.

If they took time to reevaluate their package for flight crew, it probably wouldn't take much to really build something and start sucking up all the floaters from other 737 operators. I think they are so far gone and so commited to this route though, that there is not much they can do tbh.
All too aware of the TFW BS that’s been going on with Sunwing… the flights were a late birthday gift from Ms. TPC hence my only reaction was “wow that’s very thoughtful thanks hun!”.

Needless to say she isn’t very pleased by the announcement of “operational circumstances”.

Called them last night and Sunwing’s call center blows chunks. Although the fare’s are cheaper leaving from YUL they offered no pricing difference and essentially told me “take it or leave it”.

I’m glad I don’t work for this carrier. I’d be ashamed of the company’s customer service though and though.

TPC

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Terribly sorry brother that she got scammed by these bums. And like Altiplano said, no offense intended towards the SWG crews, you do what you gotta do, but your operator is absolutely feeding it to your customers (I would say passengers, but it looks like Sunwing prefers customers over actual passengers) without so much as a care, then playing victim to their own choices; those choices being to continually cheap out, and short cut. Actually that applies to a lot of Canadian operators lol.

In the past though, I think a lot of people were drawn to the overseas contract flying for the summer, but end of the day - it's lipstick on a pig.

I have never, and will never fly SWG.

TPC, hopefully the departing out of YUL doesn't inconvenience you too too much.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:21 pm Terribly sorry brother that she got scammed by these bums. And like Altiplano said, no offense intended towards the SWG crews, you do what you gotta do, but your operator is absolutely feeding it to your customers (I would say passengers, but it looks like Sunwing prefers customers over actual passengers) without so much as a care, then playing victim to their own choices; those choices being to continually cheap out, and short cut. Actually that applies to a lot of Canadian operators lol.

In the past though, I think a lot of people were drawn to the overseas contract flying for the summer, but end of the day - it's lipstick on a pig.

I have never, and will never fly SWG.

TPC, hopefully the departing out of YUL doesn't inconvenience you too too much.
Thanks man, it’s a wee bit of an inconvenience… 7 hours round trip drive, gas and two extra nights of hotels in YUL. Oh and almost a whole day lost at destination!

I completely agree with you that this isn’t a SW crew bash it’s not their fault but rather their airline’s fault.

What’s absolutely disgusting is the lack of transparency not to mention… zero incentives for the inconvenience.
Take care,

TPC

rando
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rando »

Phantom flight bookings is the new thing.

Airlines are booking passengers on flights that they know will not happen in the future. They will make trips that have appealing time slots to lure you in, or at smaller bases. Then month before your trip you get blindsided with a red eye or airport change as you alternative. That 9 am departure from YQB to CUN is now 6 am from YUL the following day.

What are you going to do? Cancel the flight and pay the premium booking new trip on short notice? No, you are just going to take it… stomp your feet and be frustrated. But don’t for one second think this is not intentional. The flight offerings will look generous into the future, but the airlines plan is to mash everyone together and combine flights to satisfy the lack of crews, and high load factors.
Localizer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:32 am Is it just me? Or does the word unethical seem to describe Canada as a whole? I agree with PP’s assessment that under JT’s watch everything in Canada really does seem broken. In my five decades circling the sun I can’t recall experiencing anything like we are today.
Absolutely. Seems like even private business has scooped down to the level of our government services. China builds a hospital in a week. In Canada it would take you 24 months just to get the approval stamp to build it, then another 4 years of BS to build it. I think we have reached new lows in efficiency and productivity. Now we just accept these things as normal. “Oh, I can’t work for 16 months because TC has yet to sign a piece of paper… ah ok I guess this is normal…. I’ll just keep waiting”

This sums up Canada right now.

Commonwealth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Commonwealth »

rando wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:48 pm Phantom flight bookings is the new thing.

Airlines are booking passengers on flights that they know will not happen in the future. They will make trips that have appealing time slots to lure you in, or at smaller bases. Then month before your trip you get blindsided with a red eye or airport change as you alternative. That 9 am departure from YQB to CUN is now 6 am from YUL the following day.

What are you going to do? Cancel the flight and pay the premium booking new trip on short notice? No, you are just going to take it… stomp your feet and be frustrated. But don’t for one second think this is not intentional. The flight offerings will look generous into the future, but the airlines plan is to mash everyone together and combine flights to satisfy the lack of crews, and high load factors.
Localizer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:32 am Is it just me? Or does the word unethical seem to describe Canada as a whole? I agree with PP’s assessment that under JT’s watch everything in Canada really does seem broken. In my five decades circling the sun I can’t recall experiencing anything like we are today.

I have also witnessed a phantom booking. I searched some nice departure and connection times from YHZ to YVR. I click to purchase and enter my payment information. Less than one hour later I recieve an email saying my departure time has been changed and I have an extended layover enroute. Now
I am leaving earlier and arriving later. This was on Air Canada and I do not believe most of the flight options they showed me were really even an option. They showed me what I wanted to see until they had my money and then informed me of the real plan. I mean technically they are abiding by their tariff but come on......a little transparency please!

mmm...bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmm...bacon »

And yet, when Gabor Lukacs complains about this sort of thing, he gets pooped all over by pilots..

jetav8r
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetav8r »

Many years ago I was called for an interview. They wanted me to pay for the flight to YYZ. I'm thinking you want me to come for an interview and pay for my way. No thanks. They sent a couple of emails asking if I was still interested. I said no Thanks, I'll stay where I am.

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

rando wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:48 pm Phantom flight bookings is the new thing.

Airlines are booking passengers on flights that they know will not happen in the future. They will make trips that have appealing time slots to lure you in, or at smaller bases. Then month before your trip you get blindsided with a red eye or airport change as you alternative.
See: Flair at YKF. They do this all the time.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

mmm...bacon wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:37 am And yet, when Gabor Lukacs complains about this sort of thing, he gets pooped all over by pilots..
Nice try Gabor!!! Get off avcanada!!!

:lol: :lol:

Schlomo Overpeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Schlomo Overpeck »

Localizer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:56 am
mmm...bacon wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:37 am And yet, when Gabor Lukacs complains about this sort of thing, he gets pooped all over by pilots..
Nice try Gabor!!! Get off avcanada!!!

:lol: :lol:
Nah..This isn’t Gabor. From his previous posts, he is a Carson Medevac driver. In fact I believe he is most probably also “North Shore”. Look at the grammar and other clues.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”