WJ mainline cancelling GS due to lack of experienced applicants

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

WJ mainline cancelling GS due to lack of experienced applicants

Post by bobcaygeon »

Is there any truth to WJ mainline cancelling ground schools lately? If so, is it due to lack of legitimately qualified candidates or for another reason? If so, what are the other reasons?

TIA
---------- ADS -----------

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: WJ mainline cancelling GS due to lack of experienced applicants

Post by RRJetPilot »

Pay more.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Haven't heard of them canceling classes. They do have numerous people quit during training. A recent class had 3 people leave for AC during Sim I was told by a friend in the training dept. This is not unusual.
With their plan to hire 400 or so this year I'm expecting they will have to lower their 1500 hour requirement soon.
Funny thing is the company isn't actually growing, if anything WJ mainline is shrinking, so all these hires just seem to be to replace people quitting. According to our management it's actually free to train pilots at WJ at least.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

CBC reported today the WJ cancelled their summer 2023 scheduled flights from here in Halifax to Dublin, Glasgow, London Gatwick and Paris. Those were popular destinations as I understand, it’s unfortunate and perhaps it’s due to constraints on their(WJ) overall system. The article further stated that European destinations from Toronto and Vancouver cancelled as well however it was not clear where in Europe WJ flew from YVR and YYZ. WJ themselves are quoted as saying hopefully they will be back out of YHZ to Europe 2024, which suggests isn’t related to lack of business. Be interesting to see if WJ will keep their fleet of B787 if Europe isn’t in the cards.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

The 10+ year upgrade times will keep a lot of applicants away. :!:

Let’s Go Brandon
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Old fella wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:48 pm CBC reported today the WJ cancelled their summer 2023 scheduled flights from here in Halifax to Dublin, Glasgow, London Gatwick and Paris. Those were popular destinations as I understand, it’s unfortunate and perhaps it’s due to constraints on their(WJ) overall system. The article further stated that European destinations from Toronto and Vancouver cancelled as well however it was not clear where in Europe WJ flew from YVR and YYZ. WJ themselves are quoted as saying hopefully they will be back out of YHZ to Europe 2024, which suggests isn’t related to lack of business. Be interesting to see if WJ will keep their fleet of B787 if Europe isn’t in the cards.
I'm sure the CBC did a stellar job of reporting all the key facts and reasons behind the decision... :roll:

It is true that WJ is only flying to Europe from YYC this year. For better or for worse, it is part of the strategy to focus and strengthen their presence in Western Canada. The reality is that all the expansion during the Gregg Saretsky era gave more planes and destinations, but not any increase in profit. No real point in growing for growth's sake if it doesn't actually make you money. GGG wanted growth even though his network planners and revenue management teams told him that the flying wouldn't be profitable. True story about his ill planned "invasion" of Montreal.

While I can't say that I agree with WJ's decision to stop some of the 737 Trans-Atlantic Flights (as in my opinion they meet the criteria of focusing on leisure travel), I can see the benefit of beefing up the YYC and Western Canada presence. The 787s out of YYC will be operating a full schedule this summer which includes Narita Japan, LHR, LGW, DUB, Edinburgh, Paris, Rome & Barcelona).

As for the ground schools, haven't heard of any cancellations, though both WJ and Encore have had students leave mid training to go to Jazz or AC. There has been a slight change with the make up of the classes. Instead of both Encore Flow pilots and OTS pilots in each ground school, it will be split every other month. i.e., May will be all OTS pilots, June will be all Encore pilots. So, perhaps there was some shuffling.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

JBI wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:06 pm
Old fella wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:48 pm CBC reported today the WJ cancelled their summer 2023 scheduled flights from here in Halifax to Dublin, Glasgow, London Gatwick and Paris. Those were popular destinations as I understand, it’s unfortunate and perhaps it’s due to constraints on their(WJ) overall system. The article further stated that European destinations from Toronto and Vancouver cancelled as well however it was not clear where in Europe WJ flew from YVR and YYZ. WJ themselves are quoted as saying hopefully they will be back out of YHZ to Europe 2024, which suggests isn’t related to lack of business. Be interesting to see if WJ will keep their fleet of B787 if Europe isn’t in the cards.
I'm sure the CBC did a stellar job of reporting all the key facts and reasons behind the decision... :roll:

It is true that WJ is only flying to Europe from YYC this year. For better or for worse, it is part of the strategy to focus and strengthen their presence in Western Canada. The reality is that all the expansion during the Gregg Saretsky era gave more planes and destinations, but not any increase in profit. No real point in growing for growth's sake if it doesn't actually make you money. GGG wanted growth even though his network planners and revenue management teams told him that the flying wouldn't be profitable. True story about his ill planned "invasion" of Montreal.

While I can't say that I agree with WJ's decision to stop some of the 737 Trans-Atlantic Flights (as in my opinion they meet the criteria of focusing on leisure travel), I can see the benefit of beefing up the YYC and Western Canada presence. The 787s out of YYC will be operating a full schedule this summer which includes Narita Japan, LHR, LGW, DUB, Edinburgh, Paris, Rome & Barcelona).

As for the ground schools, haven't heard of any cancellations, though both WJ and Encore have had students leave mid training to go to Jazz or AC. There has been a slight change with the make up of the classes. Instead of both Encore Flow pilots and OTS pilots in each ground school, it will be split every other month. i.e., May will be all OTS pilots, June will be all Encore pilots. So, perhaps there was some shuffling.
Personally, I didn’t detect any biases towards WJ in that article, just a statement on their reduction to Europe from YHZ. As for WestJet’s strategy going forward, it’s safe to assume WJ knows what is best for WJ , the internal process used to arrive at WJ’s future plans isn’t an issue members of the travelling public like me really care about. WJ is a very good airline, I have flown with them on occasion, along with family members and service was A+.

Incidentally CBC has an article out this morning on pilot shortages here in Canada, interesting read.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Old fella wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:57 am Personally, I didn’t detect any biases towards WJ in that article, just a statement on their reduction to Europe from YHZ. As for WestJet’s strategy going forward, it’s safe to assume WJ knows what is best for WJ , the internal process used to arrive at WJ’s future plans isn’t an issue members of the travelling public like me really care about. WJ is a very good airline, I have flown with them on occasion, along with family members and service was A+.

Incidentally CBC has an article out this morning on pilot shortages here in Canada, interesting read.
WJ may know what's best for WJ, but Onex is the one calling the shots. That's why WJ is pulling it's arms out and so that it's legs look bigger. There is no care for the long-term future of WJ from Onex.

Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Apestogetherstrong »

We just lost Rashid to AC. What a gem he was! WJ is in a spiral dive to failure. Apparently the CEO is getting sacked as well. What stupid leadership lets that many pilot leave just to save pennies on the dollar.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

As the old saying goes, pay peanuts, get monkey’s.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Apestogetherstrong wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:40 pm Apparently the CEO is getting sacked as well.
Where did you hear that?

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Onex buying WJ destroyed everything good about it. It’s now a soulless corporate machine. What a shame. And the customers have noticed the change and they’re not impressed.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

Apestogetherstrong wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:40 pm We just lost Rashid to AC. What a gem he was! WJ is in a spiral dive to failure. Apparently the CEO is getting sacked as well. What stupid leadership lets that many pilot leave just to save pennies on the dollar.
PilotRashid left WJ? Wow. Things must be getting really bad if guys like him leave WJ. He pretty much bled teal since the beginning. At least the was enjoyable to fly with and good pilot too. AC is getting some really good people now. I sense some good changes coming for contract season.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Partakes in a WJ promotional video and then quits for AC a few weeks later. That’s pretty funny actually.

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:00 pm Partakes in a WJ promotional video and then quits for AC a few weeks later. That’s pretty funny actually.
I think it sends a strong message to the company. Knowing him I doubt he planned to leave but he’s clearly smart - didn’t see a future there anymore and made his move. I don’t blame him - he’s gonna have a better future at AC and I’m pretty sure he was quite young and senior when I flew with him at Encore. Lots of other guys will do the same.

It’s popcorn season boys. Sit back and watch the show.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:00 pm Partakes in a WJ promotional video and then quits for AC a few weeks later. That’s pretty funny actually.
well, like 40 weeks later (videos were filmed last spring). But still, should send messages to management when great folks are leaving for AC. But they seem to just care about the net numbers. AC has received some pretty amazing people over the last 6 months.

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maverick12 »

What a shame, Rashid’s a solid guy. Good for AC

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

JBI wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:24 pm
well, like 40 weeks later (videos were filmed last spring). But still, should send messages to management when great folks are leaving for AC. But they seem to just care about the net numbers. AC has received some pretty amazing people over the last 6 months.
Yeah, like the entire Encore MEC leaving for AC as soon as they flowed to mainline. Oh and a year 10 FO who’d just been awarded an upgrade at WJ. Now Rashid. These should send strong messages to management. But they don’t care at all. They’ll watch all the experienced guys leave and replace them with 1500 hour guys (soon to lower that requirement I hear) at year 1 pay, and think that’s a win. I didn’t hear the exact numbers on the latest management video, but wasn’t it something like 250 pilots left last year and we hired 270? Good thing it’s free to train pilots here.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:37 am Good thing it’s free to train pilots here.
What's the cost difference for an initial vs 6 month / 1 year recurrent?

You could likely approximate the cost of a pilot leaving by adding 50% of a 6 month recurrent and the difference between initial and 6 month recurrent.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Do you think JA regrets saying those words now? Haha.

Honestly guys, I don’t really think they care about people like pilotrashid, or 10yr Fo’s etc leaving.

They don’t care how many followers you have on Instagram, or what kind of person or pilot you are. The only question is “does this person meet the requirements for us to operate a plane”.

They don’t even conduct proper exit interviews to learn what they can do better (it’s just a survey monkey last time I heard).

Based on what I’m hearing about negotiations, the company’s mentality towards employees, and the fact this company doesn’t even know their own identify - the people leaving are all making the right decision.

Return to “WestJet”