Leaving current job I'm unhappy with for aviation

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

iluvmxc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Leaving current job I'm unhappy with for aviation

Post by iluvmxc »

Hey everyone, I know you all hear a bunch of the same posts but I haven't been able to find any posts with similar questions as mine, and hoping you could help guide me.

I'm 22 years old and already graduated from university with a bachelor of science and am working full time currently for 68k + bonuses. However, I am deeply unhappy with what I do for a living mostly because ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a pilot. To this day, I still wish I started my piloting career earlier.

I am a dual citizen of both Canada and Italy and am currently in the process of getting my private pilot license. I know that the state of the aviation industry is dreadful with regard to pay and the work environment. I understand it is competitive, ant not sure whether my degree, work experience, volunteer, and other extracurriculars would help me stand out. I guess I am wondering if you would think it's worth it to continue my licenses on the side as a hustle as I continue to work full time.

From what I understand, I would need an ATPL to do the tests for the EATA license, so I would have to make first a commitment to getting my licenses here in Canada first.

I am just sort of at a crossroads now because I was always the kid and still am the person that plane spots, takes joy rides, etc... but I fear that I will be screwed if I leave my current job.

Any advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated!!
---------- ADS -----------

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Leaving current job I'm unhappy with for aviation

Post by frog »

The earlier you do your move, the better it is.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

iluvmxc wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:56 pm Hey everyone, I know you all hear a bunch of the same posts but I haven't been able to find any posts with similar questions as mine, and hoping you could help guide me.

I'm 22 years old and already graduated from university with a bachelor of science and am working full time currently for 68k + bonuses. However, I am deeply unhappy with what I do for a living mostly because ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a pilot. To this day, I still wish I started my piloting career earlier.

I am a dual citizen of both Canada and Italy and am currently in the process of getting my private pilot license. I know that the state of the aviation industry is dreadful with regard to pay and the work environment. I understand it is competitive, ant not sure whether my degree, work experience, volunteer, and other extracurriculars would help me stand out. I guess I am wondering if you would think it's worth it to continue my licenses on the side as a hustle as I continue to work full time.

From what I understand, I would need an ATPL to do the tests for the EATA license, so I would have to make first a commitment to getting my licenses here in Canada first.

I am just sort of at a crossroads now because I was always the kid and still am the person that plane spots, takes joy rides, etc... but I fear that I will be screwed if I leave my current job.

Any advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated!!
Which country do you want to work in?

If you're contemplating getting an EASA license at some point, it's better to get EASA first, and then get your Canadian license. Canada is generally more flexible in accepting other licenses. EASA is more rigid.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

iluvmxc wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:56 pm I know that the state of the aviation industry is dreadful with regard to pay and the work environment.
I disagree. It's dreadful for people who chase shiny airplanes and future earnings as opposed to trying to live a decent lifestyle. Figure out what job will make you and your family the happiest and aim for that.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

22 eh? Go find a US spouse, get your green card and make surgeon level pay.

The tables below I found on Google do not factor for USD/CAD dollar, just salary. They do no account for 401K contributions (16%+ without a match requirement) and they are completely out of date from 2021. All the American mainline ops (Delta, American, United, FedEx, and UPS) have made insane jumps in pay while Canadian majors haven't moved at all.
major-airlines-captain-salary.jpg
major-airlines-captain-salary.jpg (191.13 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
Screenshot_20230201_140745_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230201_140745_Chrome.jpg (315.14 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
You can thank me later.

TalkingPie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TalkingPie »

At 22 you're just beginning real life. I'm almost 40 and pursuing what you're proposing and I know of people who've successfully done it at even older.

While doing flight training part-time beside a full-time job isn't ideal, lots of people do it that way. At the least you can start your PPL and see where that takes you. Call it an expensive hobby if you really want. Even if you never get past the PPL, you'll have tried it and that's something no one can take from you.

You make a good salary for being right out of school, so you have the advantage of potentially doing the whole thing without going into debt, which is a pretty good place to be.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

I thought this was a post about leaving aviation you’re unhappy with for a job.

There’s lots of people doing just that.

Happiness is 99% outlook. Don’t expect aviation to fulfill what’s already lacking.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:06 pm 22 eh? Go find a US spouse, get your green card and make surgeon level pay.

The tables below I found on Google do not factor for USD/CAD dollar, just salary. They do no account for 401K contributions (16%+ without a match requirement) and they are completely out of date from 2021. All the American mainline ops (Delta, American, United, FedEx, and UPS) have made insane jumps in pay while Canadian majors haven't moved at all.

You can thank me later.
Who the @#$! is making 277 at AC first year CA?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

newlygrounded wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:31 pm Who the @#$! is making 277 at AC first year CA?
That chart isn't even remotely accurate.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

newlygrounded wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:31 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:06 pm 22 eh? Go find a US spouse, get your green card and make surgeon level pay.

You can thank me later.
Not you, son.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Bede wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:49 pm
newlygrounded wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:31 pm Who the @#$! is making 277 at AC first year CA?
That chart isn't even remotely accurate.
It's internet accurate and feeds my bias!

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Don't do it. I left a well paying job at 24 to do aviation full time. Now in my early 30s I am trying my best to leave aviation and return back to my old field. Even though most would consider I made it in aviation, I still can't support my family on the wages being offered in Canada.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Sadistic overtime junkie adding up all of his per-diems or a very shrewd negotiator.

Haha… “CBA” and “seniority”. All applicants at AC should act like they don’t exist and see what happens when planes start getting parked for lack of accepted job offers.

But… Canadian aviation.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

If you love flying, do it. I did university degree and then pilots license (private license part time during first year and then completed commercial/IFR after graduation) and started my first pilot job at 25. I don’t regret a single minute of it. Now (granted, MANY years later 😉) flying a heavy corporate jet and have good life-work balance. It’s been a great ride almost the whole way for me. If you love it, do it. The earlier you start the better.

I know a few who have done the Canadian license first and EASA after. With your decent job in Canada, I’d complete Commercial/IR here first then do EASA. You could do EASA conversion in 6 months, I think. The basic flight training is cheaper here with more flight schools and lower aircraft rental costs. Also, in Canada, there are entry level jobs other than than right seat in an airliner/commuter. The variety of entry level work here vs Europe is much more appealing IMHO. Others may disagree, so take this just as one of the many opinions out there.

PM if you want to discuss.

Best of luck
WP

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:51 am Don't do it. I left a well paying job at 24 to do aviation full time. Now in my early 30s I am trying my best to leave aviation and return back to my old field. Even though most would consider I made it in aviation, I still can't support my family on the wages being offered in Canada.
Pretty pathetic isn’t it, so Many have been duped by this Canadian aviation culture

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Just get your PPL and do it as a hobby, it’s not worth it anymore in Canada

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:53 pm

You can thank me later.
Not you, son.
Can you actually post something productive? Or are you going to do more hot takes on the economy and shitpost when people ask for advice.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

newlygrounded wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:29 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:53 pm

Not you, son.
Can you actually post something productive? Or are you going to do more hot takes on the economy and shitpost when people ask for advice.
No more hot takes on the economy. You're on your own there -- GROUNDED

Advice? Why don't you start instead of whining like a little girl on every one of your posts?

Set an example.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

WTI at $75 and change today.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Perhaps a tad off topic but from what I gather for 2023 we(travelling public) are going to travel despite the "woe is me" economics. I am heading to US of A to visit me young fella, daughter is heading to Italy with her guy for a few weeks, ole Joe the bud is doing a cruise down south soonest, another old goat is looking at Las Vegas( why anybody wants to go there is beyond me). Even talks of another YYZ Jays trip. Friends of my daughter are doing something with their kids as well, one has a Disney cruise set up. Hopefully the airlines can accommodate despite it all, and yes..... there will be the usual bitching about service/delays/pricing - that's what we the travelling public are good at.

If I wore a younger man's clothes I would stick around aviation. Just saying :)

Return to “General Comments”