321 YYZ

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

330heavy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: 321 YYZ

Post by 330heavy »

A bond shouldn't matter if one plans on staying and not leave to AC.
---------- ADS -----------

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

thepoors wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:13 am
TFTMB heavy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:06 pm The mood on the line is good, tons of training going on as they are hiring 20 per month till August then it's down to 10. Good variety of flying in both bases, all pairing are for 1-6 days, can't get reserve two months in a row, good per diems and good salary from the start. The only big downside right now is the LTD premiums, we've suffered a huge increase with more people being ill during COVID. The union is working on it with management, no idea how it will play out. We're very well represented and new management seems interested in improving quality of life.
Lol in what world is 62k a "good salary"... That's $3700/mo after tax. Good luck living anywhere near YYZ on that (other than your car).
Indeed 62k ins't anything to write home about but the firsts 4 years are still good in comparison. Many come from other jobs and make it work, the salary and working conditions aren't perfect but they're not a surprise either. If it doesn't work for you go somewhere else or wait till salaries go up. I'm just on here answering questions and giving out info.
Canadaflyer46 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:05 am A good example of how fucked aviation in Canada is when a widebody airline is bonding pilots, and people on here are asking how much in per diems they can expect. SMH.
The bond is shameful. Unfortunately it was the companies response to a few people leaving mid initial or shortly after being checked out. I think it will be removed soon but I don't have a confirmation.

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:46 pm Indeed 62k ins't anything to write home about but the firsts 4 years are still good in comparison. Many come from other jobs and make it work, the salary and working conditions aren't perfect but they're not a surprise either. If it doesn't work for you go somewhere else or wait till salaries go up. I'm just on here answering questions and giving out info
I fully agree... I hope it improves but considering you guys signed some agreement last year, not sure when would be the next round for pay raise.

How big is the 3 yr bond?

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

ikarus wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:20 am
TFTMB heavy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:46 pm Indeed 62k ins't anything to write home about but the firsts 4 years are still good in comparison. Many come from other jobs and make it work, the salary and working conditions aren't perfect but they're not a surprise either. If it doesn't work for you go somewhere else or wait till salaries go up. I'm just on here answering questions and giving out info
I fully agree... I hope it improves but considering you guys signed some agreement last year, not sure when would be the next round for pay raise.

How big is the 3 yr bond?
Extension is good till April 30, 2025. Right now increases are 3% in 2023 and 2.5% in 2024.

30K for the bond

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:46 pm
TFTMB heavy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:06 pm The mood on the line is good, tons of training going on as they are hiring 20 per month till August then it's down to 10. Good variety of flying in both bases, all pairing are for 1-6 days, can't get reserve two months in a row, good per diems and good salary from the start. The only big downside right now is the LTD premiums, we've suffered a huge increase with more people being ill during COVID. The union is working on it with management, no idea how it will play out. We're very well represented and new management seems interested in improving quality of life.
Lol in what world is 62k a "good salary"... That's $3700/mo after tax. Good luck living anywhere near YYZ on that (other than your car).
Indeed 62k ins't anything to write home about but the firsts 4 years are still good in comparison. Many come from other jobs and make it work, the salary and working conditions aren't perfect but they're not a surprise either. If it doesn't work for you go somewhere else or wait till salaries go up. I'm just on here answering questions and giving out info.
Canadaflyer46 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:05 am A good example of how fucked aviation in Canada is when a widebody airline is bonding pilots, and people on here are asking how much in per diems they can expect. SMH.
The bond is shameful. Unfortunately it was the companies response to a few people leaving mid initial or shortly after being checked out. I think it will be removed soon but I don't have a confirmation.
I'm not blaming you and I appreciate the info you're giving out here. You just need to be careful with your wording.

You're calling a crap salary good, and saying "good in comparison". In comparison to what?.. Someone driving a forklift for $25/hr makes more than a first year FO flying an Airbus with 200 lives in the back. How is that ok or justifiable in any way??

I'm really hoping WJ pilots strike and it wakes everyone up because we desperately need an end to the joke pilot wages have become in this country.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

thepoors wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:23 am

I'm not blaming you and I appreciate the info you're giving out here. You just need to be careful with your wording.

You're calling a crap salary good, and saying "good in comparison". In comparison to what?.. Someone driving a forklift for $25/hr makes more than a first year FO flying an Airbus with 200 lives in the back. How is that ok or justifiable in any way??

I'm really hoping WJ pilots strike and it wakes everyone up because we desperately need an end to the joke pilot wages have become in this country.
I don't feel I need to honestly. Take it whatever way you want but I never compared it to someone working in trades working 40-60 hours per week and often outside. We're on an aviation forum in an airline section talking about starting salary and working conditions at Air Transat so lets agree to compare apples to apples.

If the numbers don't work for you stay where you are or go to where they work. It's that simple. And if you do come, don't complain about it. It's a great place to work and we have made some very good gains on the pascale front. Just a few years ago year 1 FO was 50k and it wasn't even indexed for COL. Things are moving in the right direction and the quality of life is good here.

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:05 pm

I don't feel I need to honestly. Take it whatever way you want but I never compared it to someone working in trades working 40-60 hours per week and often outside. We're on an aviation forum in an airline section talking about starting salary and working conditions at Air Transat so lets agree to compare apples to apples.

If the numbers don't work for you stay where you are or go to where they work. It's that simple. And if you do come, don't complain about it. It's a great place to work and we have made some very good gains on the pascale front. Just a few years ago year 1 FO was 50k and it wasn't even indexed for COL. Things are moving in the right direction and the quality of life is good here.
Apples to apples? All the more reason... We are the worst paid pilots in the world. This is a profession where if we @#$! up hundreds of people die. Ffs know your worth man. We are being grossly underpaid for that responsibility. That's the bottom line. If you think 60k is acceptable, or even good, compensation in that regard then you have a problem. That's not okay anymore.

And people speaking up about this in your company, or otherwise, aren't "complaining," they are pushing for things to get better. Better than "pretty good" QOL and poverty wages to fly a 200 ton airplane.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

thepoors wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:29 pm
TFTMB heavy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:05 pm

Apples to apples? All the more reason... We are the worst paid pilots in the world. This is a profession where if we @#$! up hundreds of people die. Ffs know your worth man. We are being grossly underpaid for that responsibility. That's the bottom line. If you think 60k is acceptable, or even good, compensation in that regard then you have a problem. That's not okay anymore.

And people speaking up about this in your company, or otherwise, aren't "complaining," they are pushing for things to get better. Better than "pretty good" QOL and poverty wages to fly a 200 ton airplane.
You’re getting all wound up and missing the point. I’m giving info on conditions at Air Transat compared to the other airline jobs in Canada. I spent a few years of my life doing union work to improve working conditions at Air Transat, that’s how you help make things better and not by accepting a job and then complaining every flight.

Now if you already aren’t, please go make yourself useful to Canadian aviation.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

TFTMB, ignore this poster. Look at their previous posts. He or she is a child.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

You guys are starting to sound like WestJetters.

330heavy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 330heavy »

Typical Avcanada users. Post factual information and get attacked. I guess the solution is to not respond to inquiries.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Just another canuck wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:56 pm TFTMB, ignore this poster. Look at their previous posts. He or she is a child.
Thanks, I was done with him/her anyways.
330heavy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:23 am Typical Avcanada users. Post factual information and get attacked. I guess the solution is to not respond to inquiries.
I just walk around the turds, no need to ignore legitimate inquiries.
averageatbest wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:05 pm You guys are starting to sound like WestJetters.
Funny you say that, we had a pub night with WS last night and they’re a nice bunch. Morale is not at its best but their solidarity is strong and they’re ready for what comes up next. They have my support, really brings me back to our last full bargaining in 2015-16.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:31 am Funny you say that, we had a pub night with WS last night and they’re a nice bunch. Morale is not at its best but their solidarity is strong and they’re ready for what comes up next. They have my support, really brings me back to our last full bargaining in 2015-16.
Morale is at an all time low in my career, but my determination to make positive change is at an all time high.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

averageatbest wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:09 am
TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:31 am Funny you say that, we had a pub night with WS last night and they’re a nice bunch. Morale is not at its best but their solidarity is strong and they’re ready for what comes up next. They have my support, really brings me back to our last full bargaining in 2015-16.
Morale is at an all time low in my career, but my determination to make positive change is at an all time high.
All I can tell you is to trust the process and support the MEC and negotiations team in every way that you can. Solidarity!

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:39 am All I can tell you is to trust the process and support the MEC and negotiations team in every way that you can. Solidarity!
I trust ALPA and its representatives and volunteers. They have my full confidence in doing what is right for the pilots.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Can someone post what the take home pay is for a year 1 and 2 fo? And how much per diem per month roughly

cloudseeker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cloudseeker »

Hi everyone!

Just got the call for March 2 gs. Wondering what kinda pairings to expect during the first 6 months? Is multi days senior? What's the current waiting period for YUL base?
Also was told that sim could be in YUL, MIA or Orlando do we bid for it?

Any info is highly appreciated. Feel free de pm as well.

Cheers!

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

cloudseeker wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:37 am Hi everyone!

Just got the call for March 2 gs. Wondering what kinda pairings to expect during the first 6 months? Is multi days senior? What's the current waiting period for YUL base?
Also was told that sim could be in YUL, MIA or Orlando do we bid for it?

Any info is highly appreciated. Feel free de pm as well.

Cheers!
Everything you ask is already posted. I don't think the sim is bid for the initial?

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

330heavy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:23 pm A bond shouldn't matter if one plans on staying and not leave to AC.
You're spinning it the wrong way bud. If you made the job attractive enough that people didn't want to leave for AC then a bond shouldn't be necessary.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

thepoors wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:19 am
330heavy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:23 pm A bond shouldn't matter if one plans on staying and not leave to AC.
You're spinning it the wrong way bud. If you made the job attractive enough that people didn't want to leave for AC then a bond shouldn't be necessary.
Bud .. Go take a shit somewhere else. Try the AC forum .. they love this negative kind of shit.

:roll:

Return to “Air Transat”