Westjet mechs unionizing

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Westjet mechs unionizing

Post by Pat Richard »

Which time was that?

WJ pilots and fa's unionized years ago, before onex, and I dont recall people bailing because of it, but I do know wj now is losing staff almost regularly.

Isnt Cascade Aerospace unionized also? Again years ago, and I never heard of people leaving enmasse after certification. I remember KFC pilots unionizing 20 odd years ago, no exodus. Who else?

In any case, the company has already phukked up royaly when a long serving workforce has come to the conclusion that the only alternantive is unionization.

Good on the mechs for uniting because if there's anything management or government hates its the masses united.
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:07 pm Which time was that?

WJ pilots and fa's unionized years ago, before onex, and I dont recall people bailing because of it, but I do know wj now is losing staff almost regularly.

Isnt Cascade Aerospace unionized also? Again years ago, and I never heard of people leaving enmasse after certification. I remember KFC pilots unionizing 20 odd years ago, no exodus. Who else?

In any case, the company has already phukked up royaly when a long serving workforce has come to the conclusion that the only alternantive is unionization.

Good on the mechs for uniting because if there's anything management or government hates its the masses united.
There was no mass exodus, but there were a bunch that couldn’t sustain the years of fighting and opted out. It happens every time.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:07 pm WJ pilots and fa's unionized years ago,
That was 20 years ago and under much better circumstances. And yes, there seems to be much more turnover there now since onex bought it out

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:20 pm
Pat Richard wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:07 pm WJ pilots and fa's unionized years ago,
That was 20 years ago and under much better circumstances. And yes, there seems to be much more turnover there now since onex bought it out

Dude, do you have any idea of what you're talking about? Or just like to speak about things you know little about? WJ pilots did not unionize 20 years ago. Go back to the maintenance sub.

Oh wait, this is the maintenance sub lol. This is what I get for viewing by active topics.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

The only “outcome” was Swoop. Westjets own airplanes, leaving and arriving from Westjet gates but paying pilots, fa’s half for same job but wearing pink. That’s a fact, firsthand knowledge. Or like Menzies for groundhandling same employees asked to come back for half wages….equally disgusting. Not so easy with AME’s as wage gaps would not allow that much wiggle room. Go union! Keep your pride!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:22 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:20 pm

Dude, do you have any idea of what you're talking about? Or just like to speak about things you know little about? WJ pilots did not unionize 20 years ago. Go back to the maintenance sub.

Oh wait, this is the maintenance sub lol. This is what I get for viewing by active topics.
I didn’t look into it but I was assuming he was talking about their initial launch years as Westjet, which were under much better circumstances. I know probably most of the sr ames there and their sentiment resonates with the rest. Disclaimer: I have no idea if Westjet had a union at any time prior to onex ownership, in fact I thought it was the one of if not the only large carrier that wasn’t in Canada.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

FYI WJ pilots unionized in 2017, FA's 2018, ONEX takeover in 2019. A number of airport agents have also taken the plunge since 2019.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:17 pm

There was no mass exodus, but there were a bunch that couldn’t sustain the years of fighting and opted out. It happens every time.
Many have opted out due to management practices also

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:50 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:17 pm

Many have opted out due to management practices also
Multiple reasons stemming from the change. Maybe it’ll be a good thing, hope it is for everyone that is working there and wants to make it a long term job.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Once you unionize, prepare to strike. The company will continue to punish it's employees in an effort to increase productivity.

WestJet is run by people who don't understand that the people who actually do work in the company are not beneath management in anything but financial compensation.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

averageatbest wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:36 pm Once you unionize, prepare to strike. The company will continue to punish it's employees in an effort to increase productivity.

WestJet is run by people who don't understand that the people who actually do work in the company are not beneath management in anything but financial compensation.
Like many companies in aviation, this one is now owned by a financial and asset management company that’s public on tse. No one ever thinks to realize some of these companies don’t really need to turn a profit. It’ll be interesting to see what shares down in the coming years with this union.

lupin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lupin »

https://www.amfanational.org/?zone=/uni ... ge=WestJet

Done deal, Westjet AMEs are now represented bu AMFA.

The technicians at AC have also filed at the CIRB for representation by AMFA. I'll post results when they become available.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

lupin wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:54 pm https://www.amfanational.org/?zone=/uni ... ge=WestJet

Done deal, Westjet AMEs are now represented bu AMFA.

The technicians at AC have also filed at the CIRB for representation by AMFA. I'll post results when they become available.
That’s good, hopefully that’ll drive rates up a bit

aviationfella038
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aviationfella038 »

Can anyone give an idea of current ACA rates?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

aviationfella038 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:48 am Can anyone give an idea of current ACA rates?
Hopefully some guys will chime in, I know there’s a few on here that are currently working there.

Nightshiftzombie
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nightshiftzombie »

A little over $45/hr at the top. Plus 7-10% ACA premium and a 20% match (held back one year) for RRSP/TFSA or cash.

"Thats what the Internet is for stupid. Slandering others anonymously."
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Ahem. What really? I made that 10 years ago.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

ACA at $45 an hour to release a 737?

Spot2go
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spot2go »

Pacqing wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:22 pm ACA at $45 an hour to release a 737?
And 787 😉

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Nightshiftzombie wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:38 pm A little over $45/hr at the top. Plus 7-10% ACA premium and a 20% match (held back one year) for RRSP/TFSA or cash.
That’s what I’ve heard from others as well. Thanks for sharing

Return to “Maintenance”