Calgary Flight Training

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rse1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Calgary Flight Training

Post by rse1 »

Hello, all. I'm based in Calgary, and have narrowed down my choices for my PPL and eventual CPL to either CFC or Kanata for reasons of proximity and, from what I could tell, lack of scandal. I'm searched the forums on CFC, and opinions ranged from the school not having enough instructors to others singing it praises. These comments were also in 2022, so I was wondering if anyone had recently had any experience at CFC?

Kanata is also an option for me, in that since it's smaller, I don't think I'll have too much trouble booking airtime. If anyone has any opinions on them as well, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you!
---------- ADS -----------

Reinhard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Calgary Flight Training

Post by Reinhard »

I've also heard good things about both CFC and SATC. You shouldn't go wrong with either, as long as you make a solid effort in not only your own training, but also in developing a good working relationship with your instructor.

Avoid MRU, unless you want to pay for the privilege of cosplaying as a pilot working under abusive management.

Not familiar with Kanata. But a quick look through their website didn't show any fee structure information, but instead they give you a rough estimate on the lump sum cost to get your PPL. Red flag IMO.

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

Reinhard wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:25 pm I've also heard good things about both CFC and SATC. You shouldn't go wrong with either, as long as you make a solid effort in not only your own training, but also in developing a good working relationship with your instructor.

Avoid MRU, unless you want to pay for the privilege of cosplaying as a pilot working under abusive management.

Not familiar with Kanata. But a quick look through their website didn't show any fee structure information, but instead they give you a rough estimate on the lump sum cost to get your PPL. Red flag IMO.
Reinhard is right about the costs. You need to compare the cost per hour for the aircraft, simulator, and instructor. These 3 costs are going to determine 90% of your total cost at a regular flight school. Another question I would ask is "Could I fly with an instructor every day if I wanted?"

I would not rule out MRU. The total cost will be more but you are getting an Aviation Diploma from a government recognized University (an Aviation Diploma from Joe's Flying Club does not mean much), and you have a chance of being hired at Jazz if you are a good student.

Yes, there are problems at Jazz right now, but if I had had a chance at flying at a Regional Airline right out of school I would have taken it.

rse1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rse1 »

Reinhard wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:25 pm I've also heard good things about both CFC and SATC. You shouldn't go wrong with either, as long as you make a solid effort in not only your own training, but also in developing a good working relationship with your instructor.

Would you mind elaborating on the red flags? This'll be my first time ever looking at schools so I wanted to make sure I wasn't being scammed. I did head over there and talked with the owner who seemed like a nice guy. I asked him about the actual flight training part and he told me that I'm to put in small amounts of money and they'll withdraw from it as I fly, and then I can add more as I go. He told me I should look to try to fly 3x a week, and if I asked him if I could do more, that it was possible.

I'm just not sure if I was asking the right questions but I'd love your advice!

flyndad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flyndad »

DO NOT pay any money in advance- pay as you fly. There is a warning flag right there.

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

As previously mentioned: absolutely stay away from paying up front. I have seen this scenario play out for the worse so many times.

CFC and SATC are just fine. MRU is fine too, however it is quite expensive and I’d argue that an aviation diploma is a bit of a waste. The college program is good if you require the structure, CFC is good if you’re a self-started and can keep yourself on track. You’ll certainly spend less at a flight school vs a college program, but no one will be holding your feet to your fire unless your instructor does it themselves which really is not their job.

Best of luck.

rse1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rse1 »

Just for clarification, when you say pay as you fly, does that entail literally only paying when I walk into the school and fly an airplane that day? In a sense, I'm basically paying as I would "renting" the plane, so it would be in very small increments?

Edit: to clarify, I had asked the owner and he said they would have students e-transfer $2000 or so and they would just slowly withdraw from that account as I flew.

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

A flight school should be charging you for a flight once you return from said flight.

Ie “you’ve flown 1.4 hrs, and 0.3 ground briefing time with the instructor, your total today is $X.”

Quite commonly practiced to have a credit card on file, but asking for cash up front for services not yet rendered is unusual.

It’s not your job to lend money to a flight training unit.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

rse1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:26 pm Just for clarification, when you say pay as you fly, does that entail literally only paying when I walk into the school and fly an airplane that day? In a sense, I'm basically paying as I would "renting" the plane, so it would be in very small increments?

Edit: to clarify, I had asked the owner and he said they would have students e-transfer $2000 or so and they would just slowly withdraw from that account as I flew.
Red flag.

Payment at an FTU should be the same as payment to a restaurant.

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

rse1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:26 pmthey would have students e-transfer $2000 or so and they would just slowly withdraw from that account as I flew.
How convenient... for THEM. And if they go bankrupt the day after you've given them $2K? Run, Forrest, run!

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

More questions:

What class instructor would you get? Class 1 or 2 is ideal. Avoid Class 4.
Can you stay with the same instructor for most of the training? Switching instructors is a pain and usually ends up costing you more.
Details on airplanes and simulators they have. What kind. How many. Age. Are they on the property right now or planned?
Are the simulators approved for Instrument time?
How long has the school been operating? Some schools do not last very long. That's why you pay after each flight, do not put any money down ahead of time, keep your logbook up to date and signed by the school regularly.

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

airway wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:40 am More questions:

Can you stay with the same instructor for most of the training? Switching instructors is a pain and usually ends up costing you more.
Details on airplanes and simulators they have. What kind. How many. Age. Are they on the property right now or planned?
How long has the school been operating? Some schools do not last very long. That's why you pay after each flight, do not put any money down ahead of time, keep your logbook up to date and signed by the school regularly.
Ok good luck with getting someone that isn't a class 4. Keep those standards high.

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

yhz41 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:57 pm

Ok good luck with getting someone that isn't a class 4. Keep those standards high.
lol. Flight schools have never nor will they ever pay enough or offer some strategic advantage to keep instructors beyond the 1000-1500 hour mark. You just have to roll with the punches. People will come and go - don’t be the person that alienates FTU staff by ranting and raving about being switched. Take charge of your own training, study hard and always be prepared. Instructors are a resource, but I’ve seen too many students lean on them like they’re their grade-school teacher who should be holding their hand. If you can’t be a self-starter it in a benign environment like an FTU, how do you think your aviation career out in the real world is going to go?

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

yhz41 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:57 pm

Ideally you want a class 3 or 4 who is well supervised by a good class 1 or 2. Ask about how your instructor will be monitored and if it does come up, if its ok to switch between them. You don't need or necessarily want the CFI as your instructor, if its a good school, they will be busy in their managing and supervising duties. Watch out for a school that the CFI does most of the flying.

There is also the mistake in believing that class of instructor equals instructor's skill, which isn't always the case. Remember a class 2 can have as low as 730 hours.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Take regular photographs of the content of your Pilot Training Record as you go along, so that it can't be lost, destroyed, or held from you as any kind of threat or inducement. Remember you are free to continue your training at any other FTU at any time, but you will want an up-to-date copy of your PTR to be able to do that.

That, by the way, is another reason not to leave money on account: it's a disincentive to evaluate your own training, if at the end of each lesson the training unit always has some (even a little) of your own money that you can only "use" by coming back for another lesson.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

The ONLY sensible way to pay for your training is pay as you go. That means on completion of each lesson or flight you pay for that event. Many, many students have been burned by schools that took their money up front and then stopped operating or just screwed them over with extra fees and charges.

If the school insists that you must pay up front then I would seriously look elsewhere. If you feel they are the only viable option than I would not put more than 1000 dollars on account, and be prepared to loose all of it.

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

Does anybody have any recent experience with Kanata Aviation in High River? Not a whole lot of information out there on them.

flyndad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flyndad »

Will be there this coming week, will let you know.

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

Cool thanks!

flyndad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flyndad »

From what I saw they run a professional organisation and the owner very easy to talk to as well.

Return to “Flight Training”