Flight instructing ( crappy wages-lifestyle-both?)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Flight instructing ( crappy wages-lifestyle-both?)

Post by ellinas »

I don’t know where to post this, in employment forum or flight training so I’ll do it here.

With instructing being looked down on as an entry level flying job, is it the crappy wages or the crappy lifestyle that make it what it is.

I don’t know why it’s put down so much as we all started to learn from a flight instructor.

Thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Flight instructing ( crappy wages-lifestyle-both?)

Post by Blueontop »

Below poverty wages is the biggest reason. The schedule could be pretty good if one could survive on the wages.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Blueontop wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:53 pm Below poverty wages is the biggest reason. The schedule could be pretty good if one could survive on the wages.
How much is a poverty wage per hour?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Aviatard wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:19 pm
Blueontop wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:53 pm Below poverty wages is the biggest reason. The schedule could be pretty good if one could survive on the wages.
How much is a poverty wage per hour?
Let me help answer that, as I’ve seen some real poverty overseas in my travels.

Nothing you, me, or most anyone here could possibly truly understand.

Why don’t you guys define what you think is poverty — now that word has been dropped in?

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

ellinas wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:38 pm I don’t know where to post this, in employment forum or flight training so I’ll do it here.

With instructing being looked down on as an entry level flying job, is it the crappy wages or the crappy lifestyle that make it what it is.

I don’t know why it’s put down so much as we all started to learn from a flight instructor.

Thoughts?
If you want to be well-paid and respected flight instructor, you should probably put some effort into having something more to offer than you can learn in a bare 230 hours of flight time. Then, treat yourself and your profession with some respect, and others will do likewise.

It's not the idea of teaching people to fly that gets looked down on; it's teaching people to fly when you hardly know how to do it yourself that's sketch.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

The cost of operating a flight school is what costs the most, fuel, maintenance, aircraft parts, insurance etc, so very little is left to pay the flight instructors, when I started flying the cost was $ 19.00 an hour for a new Cessna 150, the instructor was paid $3.00 an hour, out of that amount, Today the fuel alone costs $80.00 an hour on a Cessna 150..Today the canadian dollar is only worth a nickel,

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

ellinas wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:38 pm ...

Thoughts?
I don't think it's looked down on as much as you are suggesting.

Return to “General Comments”