Lynx

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Lynx

Post by MUSKEG »

Just specked out a Calgary Phoenix flight. Geeez. Wasn’t expecting 2150 for 2. 1 bag each seats selected but still. Wow.
---------- ADS -----------

billhill
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Lynx

Post by billhill »

Screaming deal...not

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

"Ultra low cost carrier"....not so much.

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

Yikes.

My guess is that none of the ULCC's in Canada (Lynx, Swoop, Flair, Jetlines) have had a profitable quarter. If that's the case, there's a competition of who has the lowest cash burn rate/who can stay solvent for the longest, before consolidation occurs and they can increase prices without significantly impacting sales.

That price suggests to me that Lynx may be already starting to hit that wall.

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
New Antique Pilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by New Antique Pilot »

MUSKEG wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:26 pm Just specked out a Calgary Phoenix flight. Geeez. Wasn’t expecting 2150 for 2. 1 bag each seats selected but still. Wow.
I just checked some Lynx flights PHX-YYC. One way on Feb 11 is $16.00 per person. Yes I have the decimal in the right place. Of course that is without the extras. I checked some round trips on a wide range of dates in Feb and March. Prices per person range from $200.00 to $600.00 round trip.

NAP

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

Has Lynx matched or beat Flair's pay scale yet? It's been mentioned numerous times that Lynx would do this once Flair ratified their contract.

seatlight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by seatlight »

:bear: :rolleyes:

Last edited by seatlight on Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
MachTuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MachTuck »

safetyfirst123 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:00 am Has Lynx matched or beat Flair's pay scale yet? It's been mentioned numerous times that Lynx would do this once Flair ratified their contract.
No and they won’t, apparently “industry standard” pay is coming by May or June.

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

MachTuck wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:04 am
safetyfirst123 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:00 am Has Lynx matched or beat Flair's pay scale yet? It's been mentioned numerous times that Lynx would do this once Flair ratified their contract.
No and they won’t, apparently “industry standard” pay is coming by May or June.
Thanks ... kick the can down the road I suppose!

MachTuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MachTuck »

If you are under the age of 35 and go to Lynx, you are crazy. Apply to somewhere where you’ll actually have a long term career.

RobertChow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RobertChow »

MachTuck wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:31 am If you are under the age of 35 and go to Lynx, you are crazy. Apply to somewhere where you’ll actually have a long term career.
Well if you want to live in Calgary and have the choice between Lynx and Encore. I think going to Lynx is the best option.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

RobertChow wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:59 am
MachTuck wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:31 am If you are under the age of 35 and go to Lynx, you are crazy. Apply to somewhere where you’ll actually have a long term career.
Well if you want to live in Calgary and have the choice between Lynx and Encore. I think going to Lynx is the best option.
Flair is also actively recruiting for our YYC base.

MachTuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MachTuck »

RobertChow wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:59 am
Yes if your only option is Lynx or Encore then Lynx is the better choice but in this market if that’s your only choice, it’s a sad day.

sierra_aviator
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sierra_aviator »

8) heard a rumor Lynx pay is gonna be flair plus 5%. I got called from lynx but I’m on the fence about taking it. Tbh I wanna go to YYC. But lately YYC housing situation is getting worse. It’d be like yyz in the near future I am afraid.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

sierra_aviator wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:55 am 8) heard a rumor Lynx pay is gonna be flair plus 5%. I got called from lynx but I’m on the fence about taking it. Tbh I wanna go to YYC. But lately YYC housing situation is getting worse. It’d be like yyz in the near future I am afraid.
My understanding is that Lynx matched our hourly wage +1% but at a 75 hour MMG compared to our 85, so the total yearly salary is around 11% less than ours. This may well be why Lynx pilots are seeking ALPA representation. The 85 hour MMG at Flair, is the highest in North America, and got a lot of negative opinions early on, for me, so far, I've come out well ahead on it, and only one month so far this year I've been blocked at over 85 hours, but then I got paid OT for the hours I was over.

https://safeflights.ca/index.php?page=w ... son-canada

YYC housing below 600k is nuts right now, with multiple offers and bidding wars. Lots of YYZ, and YVR money rolling into town with multiple offers with no conditions. If you can pump your budget up above 600 K you'll find you have time to shop around and add conditions to your offer. It's high for YYC, but still well below the bigger markets in the country. The biggest problem, the way I see it, is we had no construction of new homes for a good 2 years during and after Covid, so supply is a real problem.

RobertChow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RobertChow »

sierra_aviator wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:55 am 8) heard a rumor Lynx pay is gonna be flair plus 5%. I got called from lynx but I’m on the fence about taking it. Tbh I wanna go to YYC. But lately YYC housing situation is getting worse. It’d be like yyz in the near future I am afraid.
Also at Lynx we have YOS when upgrading, can make a big difference if Flair doesn't have that. Do they ?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

RobertChow wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:14 pm
Also at Lynx we have YOS when upgrading, can make a big difference if Flair doesn't have that. Do they ?

YOS only matters if the upgrade times are longer than a couple of years or so. It's quite important at an airline like Westjet, it make s virtually no difference at Lynx or Flair over the next few years.

I doubt anyone at Lynx cares much about YOS as most pilots are either DEC or upgrading in a year or two. Let's say for the sake of argument you take three years to upgrade. What's the difference between Y1 and Y3 captain pay? 5-10K/year max? You'd be better off with an 11% raise.

RobertChow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RobertChow »

Lynx is offering a lot of overtime paid double, recently, because of the crew shortage. That's interesting for people that wants to make extra money.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

tbaylx wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:58 pm
RobertChow wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:14 pm

YOS only matters if the upgrade times are longer than a couple of years or so. It's quite important at an airline like Westjet, it make s virtually no difference at Lynx or Flair over the next few years.

I doubt anyone at Lynx cares much about YOS as most pilots are either DEC or upgrading in a year or two. Let's say for the sake of argument you take three years to upgrade. What's the difference between Y1 and Y3 captain pay? 5-10K/year max? You'd be better off with an 11% raise.
It’s not a good damn raise if you have to work 12% more to get it!
I’ve never, ever averaged less than 82 per month for the entire year at Jazz over the last nearly 20 years,even though are minimum is 75 it’s irrelevant unless they have too many crews.
I would say your 85 is good for the pilots right now given you’re offering LOAs, if not for that, they would be at the bare minimum the contract would allow.

Return to “General Comments”