Falcon & 200 Job ad.

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Falcon & 200 Job ad.

Post by YC87DRVR »

music.is.the.answer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:10 am Also, no professional jet captain wants to get in a King Air 200. That should be flown by a separate crew. These are two vastly different airplanes you should not be expected to bounce back and forth between. But again, in Canada it’s normal.
We get it, your small pecker syndrome won’t allow you to fly such a small, worthless airplane. Sitting right seat on a 705 jet making 50k a year makes you a real man.
I’m sure there’s a lot of pilots out there that do not give a rats ass what they fly and if the pay works they would be happy to fly a king air. Hell they’re probably not flying long legs and home every night in that thing.
Also, if you think it’s overly difficult to switch between two types of airplanes maybe you’re in the wrong profession.
---------- ADS -----------

Spotify
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spotify »

Best quote right here. Find another corporate salary starting more. Who? Gosh. QOL in the maritimes is probably a lot better than either centre of the universes. (Vancouver and Toronto). TO is a joke, and operators in Vancouver have bragged bout their pilots having to pay a sunshine tax just to live there.
lownslow wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:58 am
flyingcanuck wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:03 pm
digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:48 am Oh my. Some of you really are negative Nellies eh....

Impressive how you can turn a 215k starting wage into a negative :roll:
I thought the same thing... Top earners in Canada and somehow still upset.
Pilots: you can hand them a million dollars and they’ll complain about the weight.

flap30
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flap30 »

music.is.the.answer wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:42 am here’s the thing with the $215k starting salary. my question is, how long has it been that? cause if it was the same say, 5 years ago, it’s not enough now.

payscales are finally going up in this country. i debated applying for this. but at the end of the day, it’s not even that much more than what i’m making now. and my current job tops out at $250k at the top end.

as great as $215k sounds, if you want good people, especially if they’re gonna move to YSJ, you need to pay even more.

a similar company to Irving in the US; this job would start at $350k USD. and we all know it.

bring the salary up even more. flair is a ULCC and will pay you $150k in the left seat, day one. porter will now pay an E2 captain $154k base salary. westjet is definitely about to go up (after inevitable arbitration).

$215k for a company like Irving was great 5 years ago (in our pathetic canadian aviation reality). not today. and definitely not next year. trust me. it needs to be at least $250k now. i’d apply for that.
So.....the top end of your current pay scale tops out at 250,000? Did I hear that correctly ?What was your starting salary? I'm curious? S Also how long did it take you to get to your salary of less than 215,000? If we go back five years ago and applied 215,000 thats worth about 256,000 today. There are many guys in corporate aviation making that but maybe not first year. I am referring to straight salary without bonus of course.

Airliners pay 150,000 to start. Not the strongest considering they work three times as much as a corporate pilot. 300 hours per year is considered busy for a corporate gig if we are comparing the two. But regardless salary is salary and thats what the bank cares about. Not how many hours we fly. The family cares about the hours.

I'm on team pilot side. I think we all deserve the US wages, however, come to your senses and drop the whole comparison because its not coming to a theater near you. I mean you are totally capable of working in the USA, however, thats your own choice. You can bitch or do something about it. I completed my ATP-CTP course which costs about 10,000....I completed the paper work for my EB2 work visa which cost me about 12,000. It wont be long until this process is done and voila I can make those wages. Bitching about US salaries doesn't get you closer towards making those wages.

Lastly, 215,000 is the salary......with the bonus it exceeds your top end salary,,,,,first year. Just an FYI.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

flap30 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:27 pm
music.is.the.answer wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:42 am here’s the thing with the $215k starting salary. my question is, how long has it been that? cause if it was the same say, 5 years ago, it’s not enough now.

payscales are finally going up in this country. i debated applying for this. but at the end of the day, it’s not even that much more than what i’m making now. and my current job tops out at $250k at the top end.

as great as $215k sounds, if you want good people, especially if they’re gonna move to YSJ, you need to pay even more.

a similar company to Irving in the US; this job would start at $350k USD. and we all know it.

bring the salary up even more. flair is a ULCC and will pay you $150k in the left seat, day one. porter will now pay an E2 captain $154k base salary. westjet is definitely about to go up (after inevitable arbitration).

$215k for a company like Irving was great 5 years ago (in our pathetic canadian aviation reality). not today. and definitely not next year. trust me. it needs to be at least $250k now. i’d apply for that.
So.....the top end of your current pay scale tops out at 250,000? Did I hear that correctly ?What was your starting salary? I'm curious? S Also how long did it take you to get to your salary of less than 215,000? If we go back five years ago and applied 215,000 thats worth about 256,000 today. There are many guys in corporate aviation making that but maybe not first year. I am referring to straight salary without bonus of course.

Airliners pay 150,000 to start. Not the strongest considering they work three times as much as a corporate pilot. 300 hours per year is considered busy for a corporate gig if we are comparing the two. But regardless salary is salary and thats what the bank cares about. Not how many hours we fly. The family cares about the hours.

I'm on team pilot side. I think we all deserve the US wages, however, come to your senses and drop the whole comparison because its not coming to a theater near you. I mean you are totally capable of working in the USA, however, thats your own choice. You can bitch or do something about it. I completed my ATP-CTP course which costs about 10,000....I completed the paper work for my EB2 work visa which cost me about 12,000. It wont be long until this process is done and voila I can make those wages. Bitching about US salaries doesn't get you closer towards making those wages.

Lastly, 215,000 is the salary......with the bonus it exceeds your top end salary,,,,,first year. Just an FYI.
I’m sorry but to say corporate pilots work less is a bit misleading, to say the least.
Would an airline pilot on reserve works less, I would argue they work more even if they don’t work. They are available for work 18-19 days per month. When you have to be available to report to work you are working, if you can’t crack a beer when a friend drops in for a visit, you are working.
The average corporate pilot is “on call” more than the average airline pilot would be on reserve, from my experience, they only have a few days per month that are completely free from duty.
Now, if as a corporate pilot, you take your client somewhere and spend a few days waiting for them to be ready to return, you are at their beck and call, you are working!
As for salary, I agree it should be higher, there is certainly a lot of risks to a corporate pilot position, they could shutter it without warning and you will be starting over somewhere else.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:22 am if you can’t crack a beer when a friend drops in for a visit, you are working.
The obsession some people have with alcohol is quite interesting.

By this silly metric, you're even working while you're on your mandatory rest. Better inform TC!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

digits_ wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:41 am
cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:22 am if you can’t crack a beer when a friend drops in for a visit, you are working.

By this silly metric, you're even working while you're on your mandatory rest. Better inform TC!
Oh FFS, you know damn well what I mean, if you are on call and cannot do whatever you want without being interrupted, you are working. If you go golfing, a nice healthy walk and have to worry about getting called off on hole 2, 4, 8, 12 or 16 and losing your 100+ green fee, you are working. If they could call you right now and you could be gone for a week, you guessed it, you are WORKING!
I had a CP try to sell me on a Citation X job years ago, told me I would work no worse than 14 days per month. When I asked how many of the other 16 I could string together off. He confessed I would only get 3 guaranteed, the rest were on call. I kindly declined his generous offer, you know why, if I can’t do whatever the @#$! I want, including drink a 60 pounder of whiskey, it’s not my time, it’s theirs.
BTW, if you are on your mandatory rest, you are working, I don’t have mandatory rest if I’m not, 🙄 I can stay up all night to make sure I’m good and wasted if I don’t work🙄

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:17 am

Oh FFS, you know damn well what I mean, if you are on call and cannot do whatever you want without being interrupted, you are working. If you go golfing, a nice healthy walk and have to worry about getting called off on hole 2, 4, 8, 12 or 16 and losing your 100+ green fee, you are working. If they could call you right now and you could be gone for a week, you guessed it, you are WORKING!
I had a CP try to sell me on a Citation X job years ago, told me I would work no worse than 14 days per month. When I asked how many of the other 16 I could string together off. He confessed I would only get 3 guaranteed, the rest were on call. I kindly declined his generous offer, you know why, if I can’t do whatever the @#$! I want, including drink a 60 pounder of whiskey, it’s not my time, it’s theirs.
BTW, if you are on your mandatory rest, you are working, I don’t have mandatory rest if I’m not, 🙄 I can stay up all night to make sure I’m good and wasted if I don’t work🙄
I agree that being on call/on reserve is not time off, but it isn't necessarily working either. Just because you can't do whatever you want, doesn't mean you're working.

If that were the case, 99% of Canadian pilots would be working 24/7 because they can't smoke cannabis.

Good luck trying to get compensated for your mandatory rest work!

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

digits_ wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:54 am

I agree that being on call/on reserve is not time off, but it isn't necessarily working either. Just because you can't do whatever you want, doesn't mean you're working.

If that were the case, 99% of Canadian pilots would be working 24/7 because they can't smoke cannabis.

You are dense aren’t you?
Your analogies are ridiculous, I’m talking about being on call, Transport Canada considers this work, it does not count towards your DFT to reset your FTDT. Time completely free from any duty is a day off, if not it’s work. So a corporate pilot may only “fly” 300 hours per year but they certainly work more than that.
I did medevac for years, we had a week of day shift, week of night, week of days, week off, rinse repeat. I only actually flew at most 400 hours per year, by your logic I barely ever worked. Sure didn’t feel like that, I guess those 12 hours on call that no call came was a day off after all.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:59 pm

Your analogies are ridiculous, I’m talking about being on call, Transport Canada considers this work, it does not count towards your DFT to reset your FTDT. Time completely free from any duty is a day off, if not it’s work. So a corporate pilot may only “fly” 300 hours per year but they certainly work more than that.
On call is defined as having the requirement to report for flight duty on notice of one hour or less. I have a strong suspicion that most corporate pilots would not be considered 'on call'.

You were the one bringing up 'I can't drink so I'm working'. Why do you consider that a valid reason, but not the 'I can't smoke so I'm working'?

Or can we agree that your ability to consume alcohol has very little relevance on determining whether or not you're working?

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

digits_ wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:26 pm

On call is defined as having the requirement to report for flight duty on notice of one hour or less. I have a strong suspicion that most corporate pilots would not be considered 'on call'.

You were the one bringing up 'I can't drink so I'm working'. Why do you consider that a valid reason, but not the 'I can't smoke so I'm working'?

Or can we agree that your ability to consume alcohol has very little relevance on determining whether or not you're working?
Well, for starters, I can have a beer and report for work 8 hours later, cannabis is 30 days. So, NOT the same thing.
For me, days off are days I can plan to do something, anything really without worry about having to cancel those plans.
The corporate job I was offered was 27 days per month of being required to work if needed. By my definition, if I can only plan and be guaranteed three days off, the rest is work.
I don’t have a current reference, please explain how it works if you have some inside information but, if I have 5 days off and want to go visit family for that time, I can and that is days off.
To be clear, I have heard of some providing 24 hours notice to fly, if I cannot plan further out than the day of, ie; I wake up and no call, so I’m off until at least tomorrow, that’s certainly not a life I would entertain.

throwawaycorporate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by throwawaycorporate »

cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:07 pm

Well, for starters, I can have a beer and report for work 8 hours later, cannabis is 30 days. So, NOT the same thing.
For me, days off are days I can plan to do something, anything really without worry about having to cancel those plans.
The corporate job I was offered was 27 days per month of being required to work if needed. By my definition, if I can only plan and be guaranteed three days off, the rest is work.
I don’t have a current reference, please explain how it works if you have some inside information but, if I have 5 days off and want to go visit family for that time, I can and that is days off.
To be clear, I have heard of some providing 24 hours notice to fly, if I cannot plan further out than the day of, ie; I wake up and no call, so I’m off until at least tomorrow, that’s certainly not a life I would entertain.
8 hours eh?

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

throwawaycorporate wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:50 pm
cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:07 pm

8 hours eh?
Ok, pardon me, I’m a bit old and have been using 12 hours for almost 20 years so I forgot about the amended rule, 12 hours.
Still a far cry from 28 days though, eh?

flap30
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flap30 »

cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:22 am

I’m sorry but to say corporate pilots work less is a bit misleading, to say the least.
Would an airline pilot on reserve works less, I would argue they work more even if they don’t work. They are available for work 18-19 days per month. When you have to be available to report to work you are working, if you can’t crack a beer when a friend drops in for a visit, you are working.
The average corporate pilot is “on call” more than the average airline pilot would be on reserve, from my experience, they only have a few days per month that are completely free from duty.
Now, if as a corporate pilot, you take your client somewhere and spend a few days waiting for them to be ready to return, you are at their beck and call, you are working!
As for salary, I agree it should be higher, there is certainly a lot of risks to a corporate pilot position, they could shutter it without warning and you will be starting over somewhere else.
Beck and call? Really? If you work for an individual or an airline we are at the mercy of the same dollar bill. Never knew I was more of a bitch because I work for a family as suppose to an airline. We are all someones bitch pal. You can accept it or not.

There has been a schedule change for me, which leads me to say today is day 24 of which I have not worked. Today I met with a Westjet Pilot for lunch, Had beer and wings. Last night it was bottle of red with the family at the Keg. The night before it was an Irish bar to meet another Pilot pal. But like you said I'm on call. Sure. Another 15 more days until my next flight. That's 39 straight days off. Like my Westjet friend said to me today, If I mentioned "I work harder than him that would be insult". Sure I must be available. Life is pretty sweet " being available". I take a client somewhere and my airline pals take a boat load of people. There's not much of a difference besides the cash bonus at the end of the year. Also, not sure about you, on my down time I don't plan trips to greece because of the phone ringing. I do what normal couples do as if they worked Monday to Friday. If I need a trip to Greece I will take a vacation just like any other family. I have been pulled off from the golf course once. WOW. Life is over eh?

The risk of corporate aviation is high but so is investing into a relationship. If your boss sells the airplane you get on the horse and find another job. If your women breaks up with you, you get on the horse and find another women. Such is life. I lost my job twice because of Aircrafts vanishing. Never had a problem finding a job.

Sorry man but your comment about beck and call makes it sound like hell. There's pilots out with a clean zero'd out mortgages because their boss decided to be extra generous. Take this message the way you want. Just trying to shine some light from a different perspective.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

What's the first rule of fight club?

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

flap30 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:30 pm
cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:22 am

Beck and call? Really? If you work for an individual or an airline we are at the mercy of the same dollar bill. Never knew I was more of a bitch because I work for a family as suppose to an airline. We are all someones bitch pal. You can accept it or not.

There has been a schedule change for me, which leads me to say today is day 24 of which I have not worked. Today I met with a Westjet Pilot for lunch, Had beer and wings. Last night it was bottle of red with the family at the Keg. The night before it was an Irish bar to meet another Pilot pal. But like you said I'm on call. Sure. Another 15 more days until my next flight. That's 39 straight days off. Like my Westjet friend said to me today, If I mentioned "I work harder than him that would be insult". Sure I must be available. Life is pretty sweet " being available". I take a client somewhere and my airline pals take a boat load of people. There's not much of a difference besides the cash bonus at the end of the year. Also, not sure about you, on my down time I don't plan trips to greece because of the phone ringing. I do what normal couples do as if they worked Monday to Friday. If I need a trip to Greece I will take a vacation just like any other family. I have been pulled off from the golf course once. WOW. Life is over eh?

The risk of corporate aviation is high but so is investing into a relationship. If your boss sells the airplane you get on the horse and find another job. If your women breaks up with you, you get on the horse and find another women. Such is life. I lost my job twice because of Aircrafts vanishing. Never had a problem finding a job.

Sorry man but your comment about beck and call makes it sound like hell. There's pilots out with a clean zero'd out mortgages because their boss decided to be extra generous. Take this message the way you want. Just trying to shine some light from a different perspective.
Jebus, settle down, it sounds like you are happy with your chosen path and I doubt all corporate jobs are as liberal as yours.
As I said my experience was with a company that offered me 27 days per month of on call life and being on call for medevacs in a past job. My experience with being on call was very disruptive, I remember dozens of times where I sat down in a restaurant and ordered food only to be called out before it arrived.
Can you commute for your job?
How much time are you given for notice? You mentioned Monday-Friday workers booking holidays, does that mean your employer never needs you on weekends?
Me personally, after starting over a couple time, I wanted something more stable but you seem to have taken my comments personally and you may have the holy grail of corporate jobs.
You mentioned your schedule changing, once my schedule is published, it’s final and can’t change, therefore I can make plans. I’m not talking about trips to Greece, I’m just talking about saying I’ll be there for a birthday and actually knowing I will be.
This thread started about a job offering 215,000/yr salary, I’m not sure that would be enough to entice me to the corporate side but to each there own.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

JHR wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:36 am What's the first rule of fight club?
You need to be schizophrenic to run it ? :mrgreen:

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

We just hired a new pilot and we are looking for one more due to retirements. I’ve been here over 17 years, coming from airlines (one year at Westjet, 7 at Jazz/Air Nova and 3 at Air Lab.
Corporate lifestyle is not for everyone.

If you meet the hiring requirements, and are interested in the job and want to know a little more about it, and or living in the Saint John area, feel free to PM me.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

NovaBoy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:50 am We just hired a new pilot and we are looking for one more due to retirements. I’ve been here over 17 years, coming from airlines (one year at Westjet, 7 at Jazz/Air Nova and 3 at Air Lab.

If you meet the hiring requirements, and are interested in the job and want to know a little more about it, and or living in the Saint John area, feel free to PM me.
NovaBoy,
Maybe, if you provide the information, more people will be able to decide if they are interested.
I myself clearly am not but am interested to know what this particular job is like for corporate lifestyle. Wondering if flap30’s indignation over my comments about beck and call were warranted, he paints a picture that all corporate jobs are a walk in the park with 40 days off at a time.
What is the schedule like, call out, starting pay, pension.
Sounds like fairly good job security with 17 years in and a couple guys retiring, hmm, maybe I am interested.
What’s it like living in Saint John area?
How often are you flying the king air vs the Falcon?
How many pilots in the department and do you bid a schedule or is there just enough pilots per fleet type?

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

cdnavater wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:04 am
NovaBoy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:50 am We just hired a new pilot and we are looking for one more due to retirements. I’ve been here over 17 years, coming from airlines (one year at Westjet, 7 at Jazz/Air Nova and 3 at Air Lab.

NovaBoy,
Maybe, if you provide the information, more people will be able to decide if they are interested.
I myself clearly am not but am interested to know what this particular job is like for corporate lifestyle. Wondering if flap30’s indignation over my comments about beck and call were warranted, he paints a picture that all corporate jobs are a walk in the park with 40 days off at a time.
What is the schedule like, call out, starting pay, pension.
Sounds like fairly good job security with 17 years in and a couple guys retiring, hmm, maybe I am interested.
How often are you flying the king air vs the Falcon?
How many pilots in the department and do you bid a schedule or is there just enough pilots per fleet type?
Don’t worry, if your attitude and behaviour on here is any indication of your personality you’d never make it.
While at the airline level personality and being someone your co-worker would want to be stuck with for 4 days is important. It’s 1000x more important at the corporate level for a multitude of reasons.
You clearly think wherever you are is better so why waste your time on here cause thread drift and getting in unnecessary arguments? A little self reflection is required me thinks.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

cdnavater wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:04 am
It's an employer's job now to sell you on a particular city to live in?

Maybe a minimum wage 703 medevac position running out of applicants might require that, but a corporate job paying 215k? You're fighting the wrong battle...

Return to “Employment Forum”