Be Ready

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

gswartz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Be Ready

Post by gswartz »

CALGARY - The union that represents pilots at WestJet says it is asking for federal assistance after months of failing to reach a contract agreement with the airline.

The WestJet Master Executive Council, represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), says it has filed a request for conciliation assistance with the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service.

The federal Minister of Labour now has 15 days to appoint a conciliation officer. Once appointed, the officer would work with the parties for 60 days to reach an agreement.

If both parties remain at an impasse following this period, a 21-day cooling-off period begins before the parties can consider other alternatives, including a strike or lockout.

ALPA, which represents approximately 1,800 pilots at WestJet and its low-cost subsidiary Swoop, says it has been negotiating unsuccessfully with Calgary-based WestJet since September.

The pilots’ first union contract, which expired at the end of 2022, was the result of an arbitrated settlement reached in 2018. That settlement averted a threatened pilots’ strike, as WestJet pilots had voted in favour of job action after contract talks fell apart.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 10, 2023.
---------- ADS -----------

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Be Ready

Post by Dronepiper »

Why did arbitration happen back in 2018? How can it be avoided?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:51 pm Why did arbitration happen back in 2018? How can it be avoided?
Strike vote passed 96%, CB threatened to lock us out. I believe the MEC at the time agreed to proceed to arbitration to stop the lock out.
The current reps have promised to avoid an arbitrated contract at all costs after the last 4 years.

Canpilot7
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canpilot7 »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:12 pm
Dronepiper wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:51 pm Why did arbitration happen back in 2018? How can it be avoided?
Strike vote passed 96%, CB threatened to lock us out. I believe the MEC at the time agreed to proceed to arbitration to stop the lock out.
The current reps have promised to avoid an arbitrated contract at all costs after the last 4 years.
That's good for your chances - Onex can't afford to lockout for months on end. The lost market share to the new upstarts would be too costly. Here's hoping everyone in teal is ready to be patient and actually use their leverage.

Feel bad for everyone there right now - when you get a strike vote like that, it's not like they WANTED to give in for their last contract. Hopefully now, with all the leverage in the world (there couldn't be more pilot job openings if they tried), they get what they're looking for.

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

Could westjet even afford a strike or lockout for more then a week?

I imagine just one week of lost profits would be greater then any gains looking to be had by the pilot group.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:23 pm Could westjet even afford a strike or lockout for more then a week?

I imagine just one week of lost profits would be greater then any gains looking to be had by the pilot group.
They can't afford a strike notice let alone the strike itself.

The question is, does management know that they can't afford it?

The pilots are out for blood.

gswartz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gswartz »

There's also a completely different MEC this time around. The original MEC was friendly with the company, whereas this current MEC is extremely militant.
Dronepiper wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:23 pm Could westjet even afford a strike or lockout for more then a week?

I'm more concerned with the serious question: Can WJ pilots afford a strike for more than a week? I really hope everyone has been preparing financially over the past year to enable themselves. The union doesn't use the saying "Be Ready" for nothing.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

The timeline above puts a potential walkout around June!

Nice, this is gonna get spicy!

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Transition9er2 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:27 pm The timeline above puts a potential walkout around June!

Nice, this is gonna get spicy!
May long weekend actually. 8) 8) 8)

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

I just hope the union is careful when it comes to a strike. If they tried to strike during may long the government would 100% force them back to work. They shouldn’t strike all at once. It should be introduced in phases. For example 20% of the work force on rotating strikes through out the week. 20% strikes on a Monday, but goes back to work Tuesday, then another 20% strikes on Wednesday.

dhc2pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dhc2pilot »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:00 pm I just hope the union is careful when it comes to a strike. If they tried to strike during may long the government would 100% force them back to work. They shouldn’t strike all at once. It should be introduced in phases. For example 20% of the work force on rotating strikes through out the week. 20% strikes on a Monday, but goes back to work Tuesday, then another 20% strikes on Wednesday.

@#$! the government…..strike if you have to. Enough with allowing companies to use the government to do the dirty work for them.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

The courts have ruled time and time again that back to work legislation is not constitutional. Everyone just keeps caving when they are told to get back to work.

We all need to learn how to stand our ground like the education workers in Ontario. I don't really care about a Federal Cabinet Minister telling us to go back to work. That minister is going to be long gone and enjoying a generous pension by the time we find ourselves here again (CA3).

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I find it highly amusing, on this pro union site, that the group that did stand up — the truckers in Ottawa — got almost universally trashed on this site, because a bunch of rich Ottawa bureaucrats were inconvenienced.

At least they had the guts to stand up for something.

Want change? It’ll cost you.

Let me know when the likes of NewlyGrounded is walking a protest line, in front of tear gas wielding police. I’d like to see that.

Carry on.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

So what your saying is its probably bad to accept a GS offer right now….

Canpilot7
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canpilot7 »

gswartz wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:36 pm
There's also a completely different MEC this time around. The original MEC was friendly with the company, whereas this current MEC is extremely militant.

I'm more concerned with the serious question: Can WJ pilots afford a strike for more than a week? I really hope everyone has been preparing financially over the past year to enable themselves. The union doesn't use the saying "Be Ready" for nothing.
This is a big key to sustained union activity. If everyone hasn't got an emergency fund for a few months of expenses, they give away their leverage. A week of lost earnings for a career of gains is an easy cost benefit to do. Just have to have the $s set aside, which hurts to do given the low take home for many.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

WestJet know a lot of their pilots are broke. They like to keep us hungry for money. We’re chomping at the bit for overtime that way. I do think they’ve also underestimated how militant this pilot group is after 4 years of abuse though.
We either get an industry-leading contract, or this company is gonna go under IMHO. They won’t admit to it during negotiations, but they’re clearly having huge attraction/retention issues. Losing 30 pilots a month and people are no-showing for ground schools or leaving halfway through. Forget about whatever fairytale growth plans they have, they can’t even spare any FOs to upgrade. Upgrades were planned at 200 this year and so far are at 20 or so as of the May awards. (Monthly bids).
I believe the raise ALPA is demanding is in the mid 40%, but that’s second hand information.
I’m ready.

rando
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rando »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:18 pm I find it highly amusing, on this pro union site, that the group that did stand up — the truckers in Ottawa — got almost universally trashed on this site, because a bunch of rich Ottawa bureaucrats were inconvenienced.

At least they had the guts to stand up for something, instead of just complaining on a forum.

Want change? It’ll cost you.

Let me know when the likes of NewlyGrounded is walking a protest line, in front of tear gas wielding police. I’d like to see that.

Lot easier to browbeat others to walk a protest, or even call your MP, than do it yourself. :roll:

Carry on.
Truckers getting trashed big time in Ottawa :lol:
29F27443-6322-4F49-810A-75793CB0D2B1.jpeg
29F27443-6322-4F49-810A-75793CB0D2B1.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 4343 times
Ram ranch. Ha. The division is comedic.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Being mandated back to work from a strike can be fatiguing. It's a good thing that WestJet and Encore have pay protection for fatigue book offs.

waterruddersup
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by waterruddersup »

averageatbest wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:53 pm Being mandated back to work from a strike can be fatiguing. It's a good thing that WestJet and Encore have pay protection for fatigue book offs.
Exactly. The stress of it all. There's no way that I am safe to fly today, or tomorrow, ...or this month.

Last edited by waterruddersup on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

With a prolonged labour dispute, there is always the possibility that Onex will just cut it’s losses (especially with the accumulated Covid debt) and file for bankruptcy for WS, as there probably won’t be many interested buyers as the WS debt approaches it’s asset value (if it isn’t already there if the brand doesn’t have much value left in it). They have put a couple of major acquisitions into bankruptcy in the past:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/onex-s ... n-1.406360

https://www.reuters.com/article/cbusine ... 9K20120328

WS as a bankruptcy wind-up may have more value to Onex in the future as a tax write-off against other investment gains, as opposed to investing more money to get it back into reasonable profitability.

Return to “WestJet”