Be Ready

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CPU2000
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Be Ready

Post by CPU2000 »

aerobod wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:40 pm
Canadaflyer46 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:10 pm Here's another idea for WJ and AC. If taxes and fees are so much higher here than the US how about collaborating and working towards getting them lowered for airlines in Canada. I guess it's just a lot easier to stagnate salaries to make savings though. Like a high school bully they don't want to pick a fight with anyone bigger than them. If WJ management put as much energy and passion into fighting the airport authorities/government bodies, as they do their own employees, they'd perhaps make some savings on that front and be able to keep ticket prices the same.
WS has a dedicated VP for dealing with and trying to influence the Government. I knew the previous person in that position who moved to Ottawa to try and be close to the key players. Unfortunately this and previous governments have been resistant to reason in this area and now seem to have turned more hostile on the APPR front, too. AC, Jazz, WS and Transat through the National Airline Council of Canada have been a single regulatory policy lobby group on this, but their lobbying seems to be continually shunned, unfortunately.
Sounds like a management problem. Not a pilot problem

Maybe they just need to be better at their jobs

In the past I've heard - if you don't do it for less, the Americans will!!

Lol - now the US doesn't even have enough pilots to fly their domestic routes :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

CPU2000 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:47 pm
aerobod wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:40 pm
Canadaflyer46 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:10 pm Here's another idea for WJ and AC. If taxes and fees are so much higher here than the US how about collaborating and working towards getting them lowered for airlines in Canada. I guess it's just a lot easier to stagnate salaries to make savings though. Like a high school bully they don't want to pick a fight with anyone bigger than them. If WJ management put as much energy and passion into fighting the airport authorities/government bodies, as they do their own employees, they'd perhaps make some savings on that front and be able to keep ticket prices the same.
WS has a dedicated VP for dealing with and trying to influence the Government. I knew the previous person in that position who moved to Ottawa to try and be close to the key players. Unfortunately this and previous governments have been resistant to reason in this area and now seem to have turned more hostile on the APPR front, too. AC, Jazz, WS and Transat through the National Airline Council of Canada have been a single regulatory policy lobby group on this, but their lobbying seems to be continually shunned, unfortunately.
Sounds like a management problem. Not a pilot problem

Maybe they just need to be better at their jobs

In the past I've heard - if you don't do it for less, the Americans will!!

Lol - now the US doesn't even have enough pilots to fly their domestic routes :lol:
If you want to see their latest submission to the Government, it is here: https://airlinecouncil.ca/wp-content/up ... b-2023.pdf. Also from the perspective of providing advice to them, these are the team members: https://airlinecouncil.ca/about-us/#our-team and the general info for contact to them: https://airlinecouncil.ca/contact-us/

CPU2000
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CPU2000 »

Thanks for the link

I wish them the best of luck

Hopefully they get what they are looking for because they already enjoy a mass labour cost competitive advantage to any airline across the border

Time to pony up

NSC182E
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NSC182E »

SeaBat wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:30 pm
NSC182E wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:11 am
SeaBat wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:05 am Oh no! Please Mr. 182E... please don't leave us and go to another airline. There. Does that make you feel better? We honestly don't give a flying fu@& when a passenger states, "I'll never fly on your airline again." To be honest, we normally make fun of you later that night while having a beer at the bar. :lol:

Well good for you. Maybe if you were better paid you wouldn’t be such an asshole? Nah. I doubt that
HaHaHa, good one... some more bar room fodder. :lol:

Now when you say bar room, do you mean the burn barrell with your hobo friends?

Maybe instead of letting people who butt hurt you live in your spacious head rent free, you should make some pocket change leasing it out. God knows you probably need the cash.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

NSC182E wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:15 pm Now when you say bar room, do you mean the burn barrell with your hobo friends?

Maybe instead of letting people who butt hurt you live in your spacious head rent free, you should make some pocket change leasing it out. God knows you probably need the cash.
Can you show us on this doll where the bad person hurt you.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Mach1 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:17 am
NSC182E wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:15 pm Now when you say bar room, do you mean the burn barrell with your hobo friends?

Can you show us on this doll where the bad person hurt you.
:lol:

I think it's the thin skin. Someone struck a nerve with the firefighter comment a few pages back.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I saw a clip from your town hall today where the CEO talked about the contract negotiations. I lol’d when he talked about parking airplanes rather than paying. What a dick head. Screw him. Don’t back down!

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

"Not everyone in the company has interest in keeping pilots and growing pilots stuff"
"We would rather fly a few planes less than agree to a contract that puts us into a non-competetive place"

Truly a sad attempt at negotiating in public. He even mentioned that the fact we're canceling groundschools because no one will show up may have something to do with ALPA's video. If the strike vote wasn't sitting close to 100% before today, then it sure will be now.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 8895 »

It’s a bold strategy cotton, let’s see how it plays out for him

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

So that video of Westjet’s CEO on LinkedIn wasn’t a joke?

He’d honestly rather park airplanes, at $100M a pop, than pay a fair wage? That’s more than a little frightening.

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

In the same call:

- Proudly promoted the MAX order as the largest in Canada; a growth story.
- Discussed increases in executive compensation plainly, observing that there is market competition for talent that must be factored in.
- States that they'd rather fly less planes than pay pilots more (market competition for talent).

It's so patently stupid and irrational that I am hard pressed to perceive it as anything but an attempt to sow fear amongst the pilot group.

I'm also hard pressed to believe that AVH, with a PHD in astrophysics and decades of airline experience, said these words of his own volition. I think it's more likely that he was doing the board's bidding.

Nothing to see here. They have weakened their position and strengthened our resolve.

#beready

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Gear Jerker wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:42 pm
- Discussed increases in executive compensation plainly, observing that there is market competition for talent that must be factored in.
:lol: hmmmm... doesn't apply to pilots though... how does he say this out of one side of his mouth, while out of the other side....

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

What's the vibe on the line now that the CEO's comments have had a chance to sink in a bit?

Is the willingness to fight still strong over there or are people thinking of backing down?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Transition9er2 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:24 pm What's the vibe on the line now that the CEO's comments have had a chance to sink in a bit?

Is the willingness to fight still strong over there or are people thinking of backing down?
Stronger than ever. AVH really helped unify the pilots even more. Most I fly with are of the same opinion - either pay up or burn the place to the ground. It’s either going to be an industry-leading contract for the WJ pilots, or there won’t be a WJ left. Everyone is firmly behind our union and we will not settle for a shit arbitrated CA this time.

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

AVH made a grave mistake and I think he’s going to regret it.

Time for some revolution. WJ pilots will have a lot of support from the rest of the industry for this battle.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Vanguard wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:36 pm AVH made a grave mistake and I think he’s going to regret it.

Time for some revolution. WJ pilots will have a lot of support from the rest of the industry for this battle.
Unfortunately the "rest of the industry" has nothing to do with the situation at WestJet.

Alexis' playbook is simple: sell off everything, take the money and run.

stabilizer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stabilizer »

Most I fly with are of the same opinion - either pay up or burn the place to the ground. It’s either going to be an industry-leading contract for the WJ pilots, or there won’t be a WJ left.
I can confirm this sentiment. The past five pairings, not one single person I've flown with had any sympathy for AVH or the company. Literally it's.....pay the new reality, or let the place die. Also, only one person I've flown with has expressed anxiety about the financial burden of a strike. That said, they're still committed to strike if necessary. Everyone else is ready and willing. This time is completely different.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Just out of curiosity, what happens to new hires in initial training when a strike happens?

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

RockSalty wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:34 am Just out of curiosity, what happens to new hires in initial training when a strike happens?
Like everyone else, pay stops.

You pick up a sign and march with the rest. Who knows, strike pay (if paid) may even be more than training pay.

Return to “WestJet”