Chartright Citation Aircraft Upset

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Chartright Citation Aircraft Upset

Post by pelmet »

Interesting how a loss of a cowl led to an upset. Would be interested in how that came to be.....

C-FYMM, a Chartright Air Inc. Cessna 560 Encore was conducting flight HRT705 from
Toronto/Lester B. Pearson Intl. (CYYZ), ON to Fort Lauderdale Exec Airport (KFXE), FL. During
flight over Canadian territory, the left engine cowlings detached resulting in loss of control and
aircraft upset. After significant altitude loss, the flight crew regained control, declared an
emergency and diverted to Buffalo/Niagara Intl (KBUF), NY. A partial portion of the lower cowl fell
from the aircraft after landing. The remaining cowl sections were missing from the aircraft and have
not been located. The aircraft received damage to sections of the aft fuselage and the horizontal
stabilizer.
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Chartright Citation Aircraft Upset

Post by fish4life »

pelmet wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:56 pm Interesting how a loss of a cowl led to an upset. Would be interested in how that came to be.....

C-FYMM, a Chartright Air Inc. Cessna 560 Encore was conducting flight HRT705 from
Toronto/Lester B. Pearson Intl. (CYYZ), ON to Fort Lauderdale Exec Airport (KFXE), FL. During
flight over Canadian territory, the left engine cowlings detached resulting in loss of control and
aircraft upset. After significant altitude loss, the flight crew regained control, declared an
emergency and diverted to Buffalo/Niagara Intl (KBUF), NY. A partial portion of the lower cowl fell
from the aircraft after landing. The remaining cowl sections were missing from the aircraft and have
not been located. The aircraft received damage to sections of the aft fuselage and the horizontal
stabilizer.

Ride a motorcycle on the highway then take a sheet of 2x2 and hold it out quickly with one hand. I’d bet you’d get messed up quickly.
Think about the amount of yaw a small movement of rudder gives now imagine how much a big piece of cowl further from
The centreline of the aircraft (more moment) would have as it grabs the wind.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

fish4life wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:42 am
pelmet wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:56 pm Interesting how a loss of a cowl led to an upset. Would be interested in how that came to be.....

stabilizer.

Ride a motorcycle on the highway then take a sheet of 2x2 and hold it out quickly with one hand. I’d bet you’d get messed up quickly.
Think about the amount of yaw a small movement of rudder gives now imagine how much a big piece of cowl further from
I believe I saw a class 3 level investigation, so I expect some further detail will be published.

Found
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Found »

Sounds like the cowls were not secured before the flight, not the first time this has happened to an airplane and unfortunately won’t be the last.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Found wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:26 am Sounds like the cowls were not secured before the flight, not the first time this has happened to an airplane and unfortunately won’t be the last.
Always a good thing to check to the best of reasonable possibility on a walk around. Of course on many types, it is not reasonably possible.

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

Cowl wrapped itself around the horizontal stab. Basically like having a bucket thrust reverser deploy in flight. Caused uncontrolled pitch up into a stall. Loss of airflow allowed the cowl to come off the stab. Crew then recovered from the stall.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

thepoors wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:25 pm
Cowl wrapped itself around the horizontal stab. Basically like having a bucket thrust reverser deploy in flight. Caused uncontrolled pitch up into a stall. Loss of airflow allowed the cowl to come off the stab. Crew then recovered from the stall.
Wow.

Well done by the crew.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Amazing.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Sulako wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:19 am Aircraft did not pitch up or stall.

Adsb data shows a rather more terrifying possibility - it rolled over inverted and lost 12,000 feet in less than 2 minutes. It loses nearly 2000 in the first 16 seconds and gains 56 knots.

Liveatc audio shows the crew saying they can't maintain altitude on the way into Buffalo. They have to go around once on the approach due to control issues and on the second approach, ATC is warning them they are at 1800 feet on the localizer when min altitude is 2300 and they are setting off her ground proximity warning system.

Hell of a job by the crew to bring it in safe.
Any link to LiveATC for us?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

This seems like the kind of incident that a completely automated flight system eg pilotless would have struggled with because it would have never been programmed for. Great job to the crew.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

fish4life wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:38 am This seems like the kind of incident that a completely automated flight system eg pilotless would have struggled with because it would have never been programmed for. Great job to the crew.
Why would it never have been programmed? It stands to reason that when developing a full automatic pilot, that one would go through all available accident/incident reports and make sure all these situations could be handled.

And even if there's something new, the basic rules of flying didn't change: push and pull still work, left and right are still correct as well.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

pelmet wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:18 am

stabilizer.

I believe I saw a class 3 level investigation, so I expect some further detail will be published.
Where’d you see that?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:11 am

Where’d you see that?
It was mentioned with the report I quoted.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

pelmet wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:42 am

Where’d you see that?
I found this, nothing on tsb investigations I could see.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 20230127-2

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:28 pm

Where’d you see that?

Like me, Aviation-safety.net did include this information.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

pelmet wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:25 am

Took me a second for the registration, I remember that aircraft, it’s one of the old Syncrude machines.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

pelmet wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:25 am

Here’s what is published regarding this incident on CADORS.

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/ ... d2023O0509

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Found wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:26 am Sounds like the cowls were not secured before the flight, not the first time this has happened to an airplane and unfortunately won’t be the last.
Yep, must have been missed, I’m sure there was some stress from the last guy that signed work for that machine :oops: :(

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

stabilizer.

Correct, I was just browsing and it’s almost at the top of the list

https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/enquetes-inve ... o0008.html

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”