Looking at post secondary options

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ToasterDude_
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking at post secondary options

Post by ToasterDude_ »

Hey ho, so currently I'm a grade 12 student in highschool and I've applied to a fair few places to become a pilot but I'm unsure on what exactly to do since I've received conflicting information from a few people. So currently I've applied to Waterloo aviation(geo&aviation,Science&aviation),western university aviation,seneca aviation,the centennial ciatpl aviation program,fanshawe aviation and I'm thinking on applying to a flight school in Brampton (Brampton Flight Centre). Now from what some people have told me pilots with degrees get a fair bit more in the long run in terms of pay while others say that the airlines don't give a hoot about a degree in 90% of cases. My parents want me to go to a university but I am starting to doubt how useful it would be so if I could get some general guidance on things.I'm personally gravitating to either western aviation because we have relatives in London I can live with or the centennial program since its a 2 or 3 year program.

First off would it be better to go to a university or college,how useful is a degree in terms of becoming a pilot for the airlines and lastly which of the programs above would you folks recommend? Any advice in general would be nifty.
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Looking at post secondary options

Post by Bede »

Lots of info on this forum on these options.

In summary:
Airlines don't care whether you have college or university- it's the same number of points on the application from my understanding. You also won't make more money with a degree.
I'd forget about the university programs- way too expensive and it's 4 years of your life. If you want a university education, get a real degree like engineering or physics and do your flight training on the side. As for colleges, I'd recommend Confederation College in Thunder Bay because it's only a 2 year program. That's two years less tuition and living expenses, but more importantly, two years sooner that you're flying, and if you want to fly for an airline, two years sooner that you'll be hired by an airline.

Good luck!

quitzonsandy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Looking at post secondary options

Post by quitzonsandy »

According to what I understand, airlines award the same number of points on applications whether you attended college or a university. A degree won't increase your income either.
The university programs should be ignored because they are very expensive and take up four years of your life. Get a legitimate degree in engineering or physics if you desire a university education, then take flying training classes on the side. If you're looking for a 2-year program, I'd suggest Confederation College in Thunder Bay. In addition to saving money on tuition and living expenses, you'll be able to fly two years sooner, and if you want to work for an airline, you'll be hired by one two years sooner.

Return to “Flight Training”