The Sealand RED V12 Diesel Beaver flies!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The Sealand RED V12 Diesel Beaver flies!

Post by 7ECA »

That's pretty darned good performance for a Beaver, of any stripe, and impressive climb performance too.

Any concerns around higher cruising speeds and airframe stresses, like the DHC-3T modifications?
---------- ADS -----------

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Punch Dickens would be pleased :)

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

That would be fun to fly!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I climb tested the Sealanad/RED diesel Beaver today with Bill as my observer. We took off at 6000 pounds gross weight, passed 10,000 feet in less than 10 minutes, and were still climbing at 600 FPM as I reached 16,000. External factors today prevented going higher, but the plane certainly would have! Temps and pressures all perfectly fine. After an hour and a bit, including a 110% Vne test to 202 MPH, some stalls, and an air to air photo shoot. I landed back at Campbell River airport - at 5850 pounds, as I had not burned much fuel, pretty heavy for a wheel Beaver landing! A great flight!

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Is there a limp home mode? Like the old Cadillac northstar v8 where it will fire every other cylinder...rinse repeat in case of loss of coolant.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yes, Rig, there is! I tested it today! I turned off one "half" of the engine, and continued on the other "half" no problem. I have posted the video to FB, as I don't really know how to post it here... 43% power is available with half the engine turned off. Cruising flight at 32% power is no problem. This is sort of a twin engined plane with one propeller!

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

PilotDAR wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:26 pm Yes, Rig, there is! I tested it today! I turned off one "half" of the engine, and continued on the other "half" no problem. I have posted the video to FB, as I don't really know how to post it here... 43% power is available with half the engine turned off. Cruising flight at 32% power is no problem. This is sort of a twin engined plane with one propeller!
Is it 2 separate cooling loops/ radiators for each “half” if so that’s pretty neat

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yes, everything other than the crankshaft, gearbox, propeller and fuel to the firewall is dual system, independent of the other system. Airframe complete dual electrical systems. This nearly a twin engined Beaver!

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

That’s awesome

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I was actually referring to the northstar system where in a coolant loss every other firing in a cylinder is shutoff using air thru the cylinder as a coolant. But that does sound interesting. any word on when the v8, or v6 version will come out for navajos , 206s and the like?

Jerz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jerz »

DAR, I m jealous . You are involved in some interesting projects. One of my all time favorite AC getting new hart. Turbo Beaver performance on piston fuel burn of cheaper Jef fuel. The air intake looks oversize for the cooling requirements of a 500hp diesel. Is it also intercooler inlet? Does it have double HPFPs?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yes, the intake is large, there are two radiators (lower), and two intercoolers (upper). There are two high pressure fuel pumps. everything other than crankshhaft and reduction gearbox are left and right duplicates. You can (and I did) switch off half the engine, and the other half continues to run to get you home. 43% power is available with the other half of the engine shut down. 33% required for level flight, so enough power. It's a super system, and I am delighted to have been flying it. More testing for STC approval, so we'll be at it for a while, and it's going to be a great mod when we're done!

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

7ECA wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:24 pm That's pretty darned good performance for a Beaver, of any stripe, and impressive climb performance too.

Any concerns around higher cruising speeds and airframe stresses, like the DHC-3T modifications?
The otter had the same limitations before the turbine conversion.

I guess I should write something here.
Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

PilotDAR wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pm Yes, the intake is large, there are two radiators (lower), and two intercoolers (upper). There are two high pressure fuel pumps. everything other than crankshhaft and reduction gearbox are left and right duplicates. You can (and I did) switch off half the engine, and the other half continues to run to get you home. 43% power is available with the other half of the engine shut down. 33% required for level flight, so enough power. It's a super system, and I am delighted to have been flying it. More testing for STC approval, so we'll be at it for a while, and it's going to be a great mod when we're done!
Any plans for float testing in the near future?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yes, Sealand has a set of amphibs for it, and we'll do more flight testing in that configuration this spring.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

PilotDAR wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:26 pm Yes, Rig, there is! I tested it today! I turned off one "half" of the engine, and continued on the other "half" no problem. I have posted the video to FB, as I don't really know how to post it here... 43% power is available with half the engine turned off. Cruising flight at 32% power is no problem. This is sort of a twin engined plane with one propeller!
This is epic :shock: :mrgreen:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

PilotDAR wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:47 pm Yes, Sealand has a set of amphibs for it, and we'll do more flight testing in that configuration this spring.
Awesome

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

On Friday (April 14th) I plan to stop by a few Vancouver area airports with Sealand's diesel Beaver, so those interested can have a look. A popular social media page with a DHC Beaver group will be updated by Sealand staff as the where and when I'll stop, as I progress, if anyone is interested...

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Buffalo Joe is salivating in anticipation that he can continue to keep pt-6s off the wing of the DC3. Lol

Return to “General Comments”