Latest MEC Bulletin

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Latest MEC Bulletin

Post by Fanblade »

rudder wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:20 pm
Sharklasers wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:57 pm Collaboration is good as long as the ACPA reps don’t forget which pilot group they work for now.
There is a multilateral solution to be reached if each of the (4) groups is willing to go there.

The employer(s) need to acknowledge that there will be a pay reset.

JAZ MEC need to accept that Jazz is going to get smaller sooner than planned, irrespective of the CPA.

ACPA MEC need to acknowledge that deferred employment (with a seniority number) needs to be part of Jazz flow (as it was in PML 1.0)

Hopefully the meeting that has already happened was cordial but also direct. Status quo is not sustainable nor is in the best interest of the parties. Acknowledge that fact and then move forward. Whipsaw worked when there was a surplus of qualified pilots to harvest. That is no longer the case.
I agree with you including the PML.

But you can see it's a hot button issue over here that has created division. Like a two year YOS addon in 1995. Pilots junior on a higher pay scale. Or pilots pissed because they are stuck on reserve longer because delayed pilots keep dropping in on top of them.

So it is sensitive.

These issues abound because ALL parties didn't take part in the creation of the PML. In 1995 it was ACPA and AC negotiating only. The most recent PML ACPA wanted to stay out because of the backlash from 1995. It was expected that ALPA Jazz would negotiate their terms. Unfortunately that didn't happen and it was just a deal offered by AC.

The lesson? All four parties at the table to figure it out properly.

Not addressed to Rudder,

Next issue. Concessions? I know that is what old ACPA just brought us. But they couldn't see leverage if you rammed it down their throat. We have spent a lot of energy over the last few years wrestling our union back. Remember. Old ACPA pre latest MOA is not NEW ACPA. New ACPA hopes to be ALPA this year.

But concessions. No quite the contrary. Any agreement the ACPA and ALPA pilots give AC, to meet its operational needs MUST/SHALL come with substantial all around WACON increases for everyone.

Giving it for free. Stupid. Deleveraging yourself for nothing in return. Stupid.
---------- ADS -----------

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Sharklasers wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:57 pm Collaboration is good as long as the ACPA reps don’t forget which pilot group they work for now.
True but I don’t think that has been our issue. The issue is that multiple times over the years we have traded sewering Jazz in exchange for something in return. Scope changes for the most part. This has been a pressure point because we agreed to cost neutral bargaining. Everything we get has to be traded for something of equal value. Trading away cost savings at Jazz became a viable and preferred solution. Why not? That way ACPA doesn’t pay for the increase. Someone else we don’t represent does. We have simply been offloading cost neutral bargaining on to Jazz. We were about to do the same with the latest MOU.

This doesn’t work in the long term. It will simply restart a race to the bottom. A large part of how we found ourselves here.

Cost neutral bargaining had its burial last fall.

Anyone reading this from Jazz. Yeah it sounds bad. It was bad.

We have been down this road. Backing the regional pilots into corner is dangerous. They will start to fight for survival further increasing the race to the bottom. We are currently at a crossroads where the average Jazz pilot may start to feel backed into a corner. AC will take advantage if allowed.

What we need is a Jazz pilot to think this way. Thinking that they do not want to impact their future by coming at mainline pilots. For that to happen Jazz pilots need to see a future.

We wouldn’t be doing this for the Jazz pilots. We would actually be doing it for ourselves.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Both groups made the Risk Factors section within the Year end management discussion and analysis. In case you thought they weren’t paying attention.

Regional carrier service -The failure by Air Canada’s regional carrier to fulfill its obligations to Air Canada could have a material adverse effect on Air Canada, its business, results from operations and financial condition Air Canada enhances its network through a capacity purchase agreement with Jazz that operates flights on behalf of Air Canada. Pursuant to the terms of the Jazz CPA, Air Canada pays Jazz a number of fees, some of which are fixed and others that are determined based upon certain costs incurred by Jazz. Air Canada also reimburses Jazz for certain pass­through costs incurred by Jazz (or arranges to provide the related supplies to Jazz), such as fuel costs, navigation fees, landing fees and terminal fees. In addition, the Jazz CPA requires that Jazz maintain a minimum fleet size and contains a minimum average daily utilization guarantee, which requires Air Canada to use Jazz for that amount of flying. Significant increases in Jazz’s costs, the failure by Jazz to adequately fulfill its obligations under the Jazz CPA, factors that may reduce the utilization of the Jazz fleet, including economic or market downturns or the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, and unexpected interruptions or cessation of Jazz’s services, as well as similar circumstances relating to other airlines from whom Air Canada may source regional capacity, could have a material adverse effect on Air Canada, its business, results from operations and financial condition.

Mainline- Labour costs constitute one of Air Canada’s largest operating cost items. There can be no assurance that Air Canada will be able to maintain such costs at levels that do not negatively affect its business, results from operations and financial condition. Most of Air Canada’s employees are unionized. While Air Canada had established long-term arrangements with unions representing a significant portion of its unionized employees, these agreements are scheduled to reach the end of their term over the next few years. Further, due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, Air Canada is not expected to meet a wide body benchmark under the long-term arrangement it concluded in 2014 with the Air Canada Pilots Association, which may result in ACPA and Air Canada engaging in collective bargaining as early as mid-2023. Any future agreements or outcomes of negotiations or arbitrations, including in relation to wages or other labour costs or work rules, may result in increased labour costs

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Fanblade wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:43 pm Both groups made the Risk Factors section within the Year end management discussion and analysis. In case you thought they weren’t paying attention.

Regional carrier service -The failure by Air Canada’s regional carrier to fulfill its obligations to Air Canada could have a material adverse effect on Air Canada, its business, results from operations and financial condition Air Canada enhances its network through a capacity purchase agreement with Jazz that operates flights on behalf of Air Canada. Pursuant to the terms of the Jazz CPA, Air Canada pays Jazz a number of fees, some of which are fixed and others that are determined based upon certain costs incurred by Jazz. Air Canada also reimburses Jazz for certain pass­through costs incurred by Jazz (or arranges to provide the related supplies to Jazz), such as fuel costs, navigation fees, landing fees and terminal fees. In addition, the Jazz CPA requires that Jazz maintain a minimum fleet size and contains a minimum average daily utilization guarantee, which requires Air Canada to use Jazz for that amount of flying. Significant increases in Jazz’s costs, the failure by Jazz to adequately fulfill its obligations under the Jazz CPA, factors that may reduce the utilization of the Jazz fleet, including economic or market downturns or the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, and unexpected interruptions or cessation of Jazz’s services, as well as similar circumstances relating to other airlines from whom Air Canada may source regional capacity, could have a material adverse effect on Air Canada, its business, results from operations and financial condition.

Mainline- Labour costs constitute one of Air Canada’s largest operating cost items. There can be no assurance that Air Canada will be able to maintain such costs at levels that do not negatively affect its business, results from operations and financial condition. Most of Air Canada’s employees are unionized. While Air Canada had established long-term arrangements with unions representing a significant portion of its unionized employees, these agreements are scheduled to reach the end of their term over the next few years. Further, due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, Air Canada is not expected to meet a wide body benchmark under the long-term arrangement it concluded in 2014 with the Air Canada Pilots Association, which may result in ACPA and Air Canada engaging in collective bargaining as early as mid-2023. Any future agreements or outcomes of negotiations or arbitrations, including in relation to wages or other labour costs or work rules, may result in increased labour costs
Pretty well sums things up, doesn’t it?

Status quo is untenable. Time for the 4 parties to figure it out.

Aviation has changed because there is a dramatic shortage of qualified pilots. Having first crack at keeping ANY experienced pilot is cheaper than soliciting a new one.

The answer is there. It is just the blanks that need to be filled in. Get on with it.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The employer(s) need to acknowledge that there will be a pay reset.

JAZ MEC need to accept that Jazz is going to get smaller sooner than planned, irrespective of the CPA.

ACPA MEC need to acknowledge that deferred employment (with a seniority number) needs to be part of Jazz flow (as it was in PML 1.0)
For greater clarity, I meant ALL of the above.

Everybody sees a new pay scale. Jazz gets right-sized for market, fleet, and ability to staff. Flow is restructured to be an effective tool in meeting staffing needs at both carriers.

Add to this other local concerns (ACPA has quite a few on items that will sunset next year).

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

cdnavater wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:59 am
Cavalier44 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:44 am Outlaw58 and flyingcanuck, you are exhibiting a very typical Jazz pilot mentality - "if you're already on the property at Air Canada, this doesn't affect you" - without considering all of the factors at play.

In case you haven't been following, deferred seniority dates cannot be implemented at AC without the consent of ACPA, i.e., the Air Canada pilot group.

The last time the company tried to implement deferred seniority dates, they packaged it with a host of other concessions in an LOA that would have further eroded our working conditions. This LOA was soundly rejected by the pilot group.

Ask yourself, why should Air Canada pilots take concessions in order to give Jazz pilots deferred seniority dates? A further question - if you want to come work at AC, is deferred seniority worth it to come to a company where the pilot group has made concessions in order to allow that to happen? Concessions that will negatively impact your working conditions for the remainder of your career? I don't think anyone is objecting to deferred seniority on principal alone, because as you say, it doesn't affect those who are on property already one way or another. But the company should act in good faith and incentivize the pilot group to vote in favour of a new LOA that includes deferred seniority for Jazz pilots.

As the old adage goes, "show us the money". Stop trying to sneak concessionary language into every proposal that goes out to the pilot group and actually give us something without asking for anything in return - only then will we see deferred seniority being implemented. Air Canada pilots are in the process of defining a new relationship between themselves in the company that does not simply result in the pilot group voting "yes" to every half-baked proposal that goes out with a few extra dollars attached, but packaged with concessionary language that does much more harm than good to the contract in the long run.
I think you missed Rudder’s initial point, this is in relation to the four party meeting that took place recently and in his mind some parts that should be included in any agreement put forward.
Nobody suggested anything come for free but ZBBYLW, essentially says under no circumstance should anyone not on property get a deferred number. No other way to interpret that!
The email we received from our MEC says a pilot wage reset is needed based on how far we are from our US counterparts, in my mind a deferred number will benefit the AC pilots more than Jazz pilots, by that I mean you will likely get a bigger slice of the increase pie. The deferred number will no doubt be more enticing to Jazz(junior) pilots. Doesn’t mean shit to me, nor do I want an AC number, I want more money now so hopefully I can still retire at 60, but at the current rate 63 is more likely and 65 is still possible. That depresses me, of course if I don’t move to a more expensive province like my wife wants to, I could still do 60, but that’s a me problem.
Looks like a stirred up a hornets nest. I'll reply to this one comment but I think everyone deserves an explanation.

Deferred seniority is a carrot. To have a jazz guy get to reserve a seniority spot at AC likely means he's giving up something for that seniority number. It's a way IMO to pay the jazz guys less as they have light at the end of the tunnel. If they leave QK and go to Porter or Encore, or even a 737 operation they loose that carrot. Without the carrot Jazz will have to pay to keep talent.

Also if you have guys reserving seniority numbers while other guys (who are in many instances more experienced than the average jazz hire - overseas guys, Transat, Sunwing, WestJet, military guys etc) in the event of another furlough who pays the price? The "junior" guy who has been here longer than the jazz pilot with a reserved seniority number.

I was 110% against the reserved seniority numbers before where senior jazz guys were able to stay at Jazz and parachute into AC when it was convenient for them. I made that known to my union reps, but until recently the union didn't work for the membership.

The jazz guys and girls are for the most part great, but so too are outside hires. Giving preferential treatment to one group and let them grab a number prior to PIT course hurts the profession as well as the other pilots who are here already contributing to the button line.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

ZBBYLW wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:19 am
The jazz guys and girls are for the most part great, but so too are outside hires. Giving preferential treatment to one group and let them grab a number prior to PIT course hurts the profession as well as the other pilots who are here already contributing to the button line.
So flying AC customers on Express metal does not contribute to the AC bottom line? But flying WJ customers at WJ or Encore does? Or cargo for Cargojet or Morningstar? Or vacation customers on Transat or Sunwing?

Interesting perspective.

Yes, there are some more experienced pilots out there to be hired by AC. But some are less experienced than Jazz pilot applicants in the flow stream.

In case nobody had noticed, there is a flow arrangement in place. It does not need your approval or consent. Nor ACPA’s. It just simply is not being honoured.

We can all do better and help the profession.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

cdnavater wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:59 am
Cavalier44 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:44 am Outlaw58 and flyingcanuck, you are exhibiting a very typical Jazz pilot mentality - "if you're already on the property at Air Canada, this doesn't affect you" - without considering all of the factors at play.

In case you haven't been following, deferred seniority dates cannot be implemented at AC without the consent of ACPA, i.e., the Air Canada pilot group.

The last time the company tried to implement deferred seniority dates, they packaged it with a host of other concessions in an LOA that would have further eroded our working conditions. This LOA was soundly rejected by the pilot group.

Ask yourself, why should Air Canada pilots take concessions in order to give Jazz pilots deferred seniority dates? A further question - if you want to come work at AC, is deferred seniority worth it to come to a company where the pilot group has made concessions in order to allow that to happen? Concessions that will negatively impact your working conditions for the remainder of your career? I don't think anyone is objecting to deferred seniority on principal alone, because as you say, it doesn't affect those who are on property already one way or another. But the company should act in good faith and incentivize the pilot group to vote in favour of a new LOA that includes deferred seniority for Jazz pilots.

As the old adage goes, "show us the money". Stop trying to sneak concessionary language into every proposal that goes out to the pilot group and actually give us something without asking for anything in return - only then will we see deferred seniority being implemented. Air Canada pilots are in the process of defining a new relationship between themselves in the company that does not simply result in the pilot group voting "yes" to every half-baked proposal that goes out with a few extra dollars attached, but packaged with concessionary language that does much more harm than good to the contract in the long run.
I think you missed Rudder’s initial point, this is in relation to the four party meeting that took place recently and in his mind some parts that should be included in any agreement put forward.
Nobody suggested anything come for free but ZBBYLW, essentially says under no circumstance should anyone not on property get a deferred number. No other way to interpret that!
The email we received from our MEC says a pilot wage reset is needed based on how far we are from our US counterparts, in my mind a deferred number will benefit the AC pilots more than Jazz pilots, by that I mean you will likely get a bigger slice of the increase pie. The deferred number will no doubt be more enticing to Jazz(junior) pilots. Doesn’t mean shit to me, nor do I want an AC number, I want more money now so hopefully I can still retire at 60, but at the current rate 63 is more likely and 65 is still possible. That depresses me, of course if I don’t move to a more expensive province like my wife wants to, I could still do 60, but that’s a me problem.
Looks like a stirred up a hornets nest. I'll reply to this one comment but I think everyone deserves an explanation.

Deferred seniority is a carrot. To have a jazz guy get to reserve a seniority spot at AC likely means he's giving up something for that seniority number. It's a way IMO to pay the jazz guys less as they have light at the end of the tunnel. If they leave QK and go to Porter or Encore, or even a 737 operation they loose that carrot. Without the carrot Jazz will have to pay to keep talent.

Also if you have guys reserving seniority numbers while other guys (who are in many instances more experienced than the average jazz hire - overseas guys, Transat, Sunwing, WestJet, military guys etc) in the event of another furlough who pays the price? The "junior" guy who has been here longer than the jazz pilot with a reserved seniority number.

I was 110% against the reserved seniority numbers before where senior jazz guys were able to stay at Jazz and parachute into AC when it was convenient for them. I made that known to my union reps, but until recently the union didn't work for the membership.

Absolutely, like I said a reserved number would likely benefit AC pilots more in any forthcoming agreement, you already turned one down, if something comes back it would have to be significant.
I personally would prefer a bigger wage increase with no flow but it’s not fair to those that came for the “guaranteed” flow, the ones that would be there(AC) already, what damage was done to their careers?
Thanks for clarifying, it’s much better than under no circumstances….

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

rudder wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:31 am
So flying AC customers on Express metal does not contribute to the AC bottom line? But flying WJ customers at WJ or Encore does? Or cargo for Cargojet or Morningstar? Or vacation customers on Transat or Sunwing?

Interesting perspective.

Yes, there are some more experienced pilots out there to be hired by AC. But some are less experienced than Jazz pilot applicants in the flow stream.

In case nobody had noticed, there is a flow arrangement in place. It does not need your approval or consent. Nor ACPA’s. It just simply is not being honoured.

We can all do better and help the profession.
Fair point about the bottom line. But they ultimately are a seperate OC, seperate bargaining unit and company.

Helping the profession though would be to not help the flow through. Either AC honours the flow, or the CA has to be amended and Jazz likely will have to seriously improve their CA and pay to attract and keep talent.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

ZBBYLW wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:37 am
Fair point about the bottom line. But they ultimately are a seperate OC, seperate bargaining unit and company.

Helping the profession though would be to not help the flow through. Either AC honours the flow, or the CA has to be amended and Jazz likely will have to seriously improve their CA and pay to attract and keep talent.
I think that the more enlightened AC pilots do not share your perspective. That is not intended as a slight, just an observation. Bottom line is that if improved flow (lower ratio but ability to defer PIT course or to be held back) with a reserved number is bundled with a myriad of improvements for AC pilots with zero concessions in an MOA - it will pass.

As for the Jazz CBA - every E175 CA at Jazz could quit today for Porter and would be looking at a 14-75% raise just in year 1. Significantly more over time (up to 150%). And in your paradigm these same pilots would have a better opportunity of getting hired by AC OTS than staying at Jazz hoping for a flow opportunity under the status quo flow arrangement (presuming that it is honoured).

The 4 parties that met understand this evolving reality and likely agree it is not sustainable. So they will look for a better model. Here’s hoping that the best minds are present and working on solutions.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

Rudder I agree with a lot of what you have to say in the majority of your posts, but I’m not sure I can get there on this one.

Honest question, help me understand why AC would raise pay for both AC pilots and Jazz pilots with zero concessions simply to allow Jazz pilots to obtain a seniority number and defer a move to AC?

Jazz pilots get a raise because Chorus can’t hire or retain pilots in this market. - this fully makes sense to me, I agree 100%.

But then you’re suggesting that AC pilots deserve a raise simply for agreeing to let Jazz pilots obtain a seniority number and then deferring a start date? That alone is the how/why AC pilots get a raise?

The problem I have with this is, AC doesn’t need Jazz flow to fill their classes at the moment. As much as it pains me to say it, AC is likely the only airline in the country who is filling their classes right now. Why would they give up so much (raises for both pilot groups) to protect a flow agreement that honestly doesn’t make sense.

Trust me, I want management to burn just as much as the next guy… but I’m failing to see your point on this one.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Transition9er2 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:44 am Rudder I agree with a lot of what you have to say in the majority of your posts, but I’m not sure I can get there on this one.

Honest question, help me understand why AC would raise pay for both AC pilots and Jazz pilots with zero concessions simply to allow Jazz pilots to obtain a seniority number and defer a move to AC?

Jazz pilots get a raise because Chorus can’t hire or retain pilots in this market. - this fully makes sense to me, I agree 100%.

But then you’re suggesting that AC pilots deserve a raise simply for agreeing to let Jazz pilots obtain a seniority number and then deferring a start date? That alone is the how/why AC pilots get a raise?

The problem I have with this is, AC doesn’t need Jazz flow to fill their classes at the moment. As much as it pains me to say it, AC is likely the only airline in the country who is filling their classes right now. Why would they give up so much (raises for both pilot groups) to protect a flow agreement that honestly doesn’t make sense.

Trust me, I want management to burn just as much as the next guy… but I’m failing to see your point on this one.
If it’s something the company wants that does not benefit air Canada pilots, then they can and should use it to negotiate and get a raise or something. Why should AC pilots agree to it otherwise if there’s nothing in it for them?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Transition9er2 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:44 am Rudder I agree with a lot of what you have to say in the majority of your posts, but I’m not sure I can get there on this one.

The pay reset is not related to flow. It is a response to market realities for pilot supply. AC has already admitted via the failed MOA that entry level pay at AC is deficient irrespective of class occupancy.

Is AC getting the most qualified OTS pilots? In some cases yes, and in some cases no.

Pay increases at both Jazz and AC are a mark-to-market exercise. AC should be the highest paying job on all aircraft types in Canada. And Jazz has fallen so far behind the market that it is challenged to meet its flying obligations under the CPA due to pilot staffing issues (attrition rates, recruitment, and retention).

There is a flow agreement in place. 60% if there are enough Jazz flow applicants. And it is technically in place until 2035 and cannot be unilaterally amended (although it appears it can be unilaterally ignored).

There are better solutions out there. Flow will simply be bundled up in any potential multilateral solution, although ratifications will apply to local CBA’s and be ratified locally.

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

ACPA MEC need to acknowledge that deferred employment (with a seniority number) needs to be part of Jazz flow (as it was in PML 1.0
This should never ever happen again. All it does is drive down wages at Jazz, which drives down wages at all the regionals in Canada. There has never been a solid case for improving pilot wages by offering seniority numbers, all its ever done is lower wages and create whipsaw. How many US regionals offer seniority numbers? None.

Jazz should compete with AC to retain as many pilots as they can, then you’ll see regional salaries go up, just like in the states. The salary obviously won’t be as high as AC, but you’ll have plenty of people make a lifestyle choice to stay at a regional, especially those who don’t have as many years left until retirement.

I have no horse in this race, but I do want to see improved wages and conditions across the board in Canada for future generations.

futboler14
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by futboler14 »

Rudder I agree with a lot of what you have to say in the majority of your posts, but I’m not sure I can get there on this one.
I’m also a big rudder fan.

I too am having trouble getting behind him on this particular thought.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Curiousflyer wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:09 am
ACPA MEC need to acknowledge that deferred employment (with a seniority number) needs to be part of Jazz flow (as it was in PML 1.0
This should never ever happen again. All it does is drive down wages at Jazz, which drives down wages at all the regionals in Canada. There has never been a solid case for improving pilot wages by offering seniority numbers, all its ever done is lower wages and create whipsaw. How many US regionals offer seniority numbers? None.

Jazz should compete with AC to retain as many pilots as they can, then you’ll see regional salaries go up, just like in the states. The salary obviously won’t be as high as AC, but you’ll have plenty of people make a lifestyle choice to stay at a regional, especially those who don’t have as many years left until retirement.

I have no horse in this race, but I do want to see improved wages and conditions across the board in Canada for future generations.
It is true US companies used flow through as a carrot in exchange for lower wages in the past. It is also true that AC modelled this approach about 10 years ago.

So I get the rational that flow throughs equal lower wages because that was their intent. And up until now it worked in the US and at AC. Now it’s failing.

The pilot shortage showed up. Supply and demand got inverted. At first US regional tried hiring bonuses. But that didn’t provide retention. So wages went up. That still didn’t provide retention. Now they have both.

Proper wages first and foremost. A flow through for retention.

The point is the two are no longer mutually exclusive. You can have both. Air Canada needs retention. They will have to provide both without leaning on flow as a carrot to extract lower wages.

As for mainline pilots. This leverage is not a totality of the leverage we have. Rather simply a piece. There is a reason AC wants to get rid of a large portion of flat pay. Mainline too needs to attract quickly upgradable people to meet its expansion goals. What has happened at Jazz is a stark reminder of what happens if you fill your ground schools with people who can’t upgrade quickly.

Last edited by Fanblade on Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

rudder wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:08 am

The pay reset is not related to flow. It is a response to market realities for pilot supply. AC has already admitted via the failed MOA that entry level pay at AC is deficient irrespective of class occupancy.

Is AC getting the most qualified OTS pilots? In some cases yes, and in some cases no.

Pay increases at both Jazz and AC are a mark-to-market exercise. AC should be the highest paying job on all aircraft types in Canada. And Jazz has fallen so far behind the market that it is challenged to meet its flying obligations under the CPA due to pilot staffing issues (attrition rates, recruitment, and retention).

There is a flow agreement in place. 60% if there are enough Jazz flow applicants. And it is technically in place until 2035 and cannot be unilaterally amended (although it appears it can be unilaterally ignored).

There are better solutions out there. Flow will simply be bundled up in any potential multilateral solution, although ratifications will apply to local CBA’s and be ratified locally.
Sure, I understand there’s an agreement in place until 2035. But again, from a business standpoint, AC knows that Jazz will run out of pilots who qualify to flow to AC in the very near future.

How many Jazz pilots meet the requirements to flow and actually want to flow over? My guess is that number doesn’t equal 60% of AC hiring metrics this year.

AC doesn’t need to cancel flow, they know Jazz doesn’t have the numbers to make it worth while moving forward.

Again, why would AC commit to giving so much to both Jazz and AC when they get so little back in return?

I feel like there’s a significantly stronger case to make to AC and Chorus for improved wages.

Maybe I’m wrong and I’m missing something. But I just don’t see AC agreeing to this line of thinking.

Pay needs to be fixed, 100%… but the fact that the idea of pushing or including a deferred seniority number is directly linked to Flow and I just don’t see how it holds any weight here.

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

Interesting perspective.
This is the most idiotic statement I’ve seen you make. Foreign pilots at Eurowings contribute more to AC’s bottom line then any Jazz pilot ever will, should we offer them seniority numbers too? The income stream of AC is varied amongst all star alliance and codeshare partners, the regional carrier is a small portion of that.

I want to see Jazz wages go up, the best way to do that is to compete and pay market rates, not whipsaw and carrots on sticks.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Transition9er2 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:23 am
rudder wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:08 am

Sure, I understand there’s an agreement in place until 2035. But again, from a business standpoint, AC knows that Jazz will run out of pilots who qualify to flow to AC in the very near future.

How many Jazz pilots meet the requirements to flow and actually want to flow over? My guess is that number doesn’t equal 60% of AC hiring metrics this year.

AC doesn’t need to cancel flow, they know Jazz doesn’t have the numbers to make it worth while moving forward.

Again, why would AC commit to giving so much to both Jazz and AC when they get so little back in return?

I feel like there’s a significantly stronger case to make to AC and Chorus for improved wages.

Maybe I’m wrong and I’m missing something. But I just don’t see AC agreeing to this line of thinking.

Pay needs to be fixed, 100%… but the fact that the idea of pushing or including a deferred seniority number is directly linked to Flow and I just don’t see how it holds any weight here.
Pilot shortage. Jazz hired too many people who are not quickly upgradable. Now they are stuck.

The problem at Jazz will only get worse if wages don’t go up AND flow is not adhered too. More quickly upgradable pilots will leave. The problem is Jazz is so far behind now that they can’t afford to let people flow. What they need in order to clean up the mess is the ability to reserve numbers at AC in an effort to hold people back at Jazz and rebuild. Without reserved numbers Jazz can’t retain and recover. If Jazz doesn’t recover AC’s operation is at risk.

Last edited by Fanblade on Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Curiousflyer wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:38 am

Interesting perspective.
This is the most idiotic statement I’ve seen you make. Foreign pilots at Eurowings contribute more to AC’s bottom line then any Jazz pilot ever will, should we offer them seniority numbers too? The income stream of AC is varied amongst all star alliance and codeshare partners, the regional carrier is a small portion of that.

I want to see Jazz wages go up, the best way to do that is to compete and pay market rates, not whipsaw and carrots on sticks.
Are you kidding me? Air Canada would not survive without a regional.

Right from the horses mouth. Year end MD&A. Forward looking risk.

Significant increases in Jazz’s costs, the failure by Jazz to adequately fulfill its obligations under the Jazz CPA, factors that may reduce the utilization of the Jazz fleet, including economic or market downturns or the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, and unexpected interruptions or cessation of Jazz’s services, as well as similar circumstances relating to other airlines from whom Air Canada may source regional capacity, could have a material adverse effect on Air Canada, its business, results from operations and financial condition.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”