New pay scales

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RobertChow
Rank 1
Rank 1

New pay scales

Post by RobertChow »

See attachment.
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
2E1FF307-E0A5-4C1D-B75E-EFE332663317.jpeg
2E1FF307-E0A5-4C1D-B75E-EFE332663317.jpeg (227.34 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New pay scales

Post by tango308 »

What is the rate of increase each January? Is it 2 percent or is it more?

Side note: That E2 CA pay scale, dang! :shock:

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

Good product, good salaries. If you're in the YYZ area and have Captain qualifications, you've got some good options.

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

This is the start of a revolution!!! Remember that this is only a 132 seat airplane. Just think about what the conversion would be for a 737 or an A320.

Aviationanalysis234
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aviationanalysis234 »

Game changer. Porter has now significantly exceeded most competitor Canadian Airlines pay, including Flair and WJ. Great product, great company, great pay! That's how you fill 50 new jets with happy pilots.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

If you are embraer qualified at jazz, and don’t want to go to AC, porter is the place to be.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Pretty embarrassing for some of the 737 operators…..

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:56 pm If you are embraer qualified at jazz, and don’t want to go to AC, porter is the place to be.
So how does this work? You get hired as an Embraer F/O or captain, but what about all the guys on the Dash 8 that have been there for a long time? Will they bump you down eventually in seniority, or there are two separate lists?

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 8895 »

Dronepiper wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:27 pm This is the start of a revolution!!! Remember that this is only a 132 seat airplane. Just think about what the conversion would be for a 737 or an A320.
Wouldn’t go that far bud lol

Remember Porter “benchmarks” their salaries by selecting companies and essentially averaging out the salaries to establish their own. Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the companies involved with the E2 benchmarking process are transat, flair, and sunwing. So I’m assuming the salaries reflect having a leg up on sunwing and flair thanks to transat pulling the numbers up from those 2.

If Porter really cared about competing with AC and WJ for the pilot supply in the same way as competing for their share of the industry marketshare then they should probably include AT LEAST WJ in the list of benchmarked companies, but that’s a whole other point to get into lol.

Also remember that the E2 ops literally just started rev flights this month so every captain on property is on year one pay, so I’d only really look at the first half of the scale, it doesn’t cost the company anything to offer year 10 captain pay to zero pilots right now.

On the other hand…. It WOULD cost the company money to pay their Q drivers more, last I checked the last 2 upgrade classes were cancelled due to no candidates, and I doubt increasing year one pay by 6k is going to change that trend lol. Q FO’s hardly got a bump, but hey at least it’s not a pay decrease like they got coming out of the pandemic I guess?

If I was on the WJ MEC I’d be leveraging this as much as possible. It’s that negotiation along with ACPA’s (hopefully soon to be ALPA as well) that have the best chance at gaining us some ground in this industry for once.

Attachments
A033D363-B260-4A78-AF0B-FB9B2B275795.jpeg
A033D363-B260-4A78-AF0B-FB9B2B275795.jpeg (251.03 KiB) Viewed 6009 times
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Dear Jazz,

A new-hire Porter E2 CA is being paid $20/hr more than an 18 year Jazz E175 CA.

That is going to get people’s attention.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 8895 »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:59 pm
canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:56 pm If you are embraer qualified at jazz, and don’t want to go to AC, porter is the place to be.
So how does this work? You get hired as an Embraer F/O or captain, but what about all the guys on the Dash 8 that have been there for a long time? Will they bump you down eventually in seniority, or there are two separate lists?
Same list. Q pilots going over to the jet would parachute in on the seniority list

Aviationanalysis234
Rank 1
Rank 1

8895 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:07 pm
Dronepiper wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:27 pm This is the start of a revolution!!! Remember that this is only a 132 seat airplane. Just think about what the conversion would be for a 737 or an A320.
Wouldn’t go that far bud lol

Remember Porter “benchmarks” their salaries by selecting companies and essentially averaging out the salaries to establish their own. Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the companies involved with the E2 benchmarking process are transat, flair, and sunwing. So I’m assuming the salaries reflect having a leg up on sunwing and flair thanks to transat pulling the numbers up from those 2.

If Porter really cared about competing with AC and WJ for the pilot supply in the same way as competing for their share of the industry marketshare then they should probably include AT LEAST WJ in the list of benchmarked companies, but that’s a whole other point to get into lol.

Also remember that the E2 ops literally just started rev flights this month so every captain on property is on year one pay, so I’d only really look at the first half of the scale, it doesn’t cost the company anything to offer year 10 captain pay to zero pilots right now.

On the other hand…. It WOULD cost the company money to pay their Q drivers more, last I checked the last 2 upgrade classes were cancelled due to no candidates, and I doubt increasing year one pay by 6k is going to change that trend lol. Q FO’s hardly got a bump, but hey at least it’s not a pay decrease like they got coming out of the pandemic I guess?

If I was on the WJ MEC I’d be leveraging this as much as possible. It’s that negotiation along with ACPA’s (hopefully soon to be ALPA as well) that have the best chance at gaining us some ground in this industry for once.
You seem to have missed the fact that Porter's scale is now higher than WJ's 737 scale. Including them in the average would actually reduce Porter's new pay scales.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

rudder wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:08 pm Dear Jazz,

A pay increase will come…. however everyone who doesn’t have a db pension will be gone by then.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:56 pm
rudder wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:08 pm Dear Jazz,

A pay increase will come…. however everyone who doesn’t have a db pension will be gone by then.
If I wasn’t on the db pension I’d be gone there yesterday. Think about it. You go to Porter as a DEC and start off making fairly good money. Stay at Jazz, then go to AC. 4 years of crap, do the upgrade after 4 yrs, and yes make a little more than Porters hourly wage on a narrow body and spend years on reserve or working every single weekend and holiday.

Let’s Go Brandon
Aviationanalysis234
Rank 1
Rank 1

8895 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:09 pm
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:59 pm
Same list. Q pilots going over to the jet would parachute in on the seniority list
There is more than enough new pilots joining Porter over next 24 months that all current and new pilots near term will quickly move up in seniority (relatively speaking) and have the ability to build great pairings and quality of life scheduled. Upward mobility will be quick.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

E2 captain pay is good but I still feel like there is room for improvement on the FO side.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:11 am E2 captain pay is good but I still feel like there is room for improvement on the FO side.
At 63K per annum, it’s pretty descent.

I did think the DH8 should have come up though. Folks who were on the fence about transferring over previously will be bailing from the Dash program in a New York minute now, leaving that program severely deprived.

Autobrake
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Autobrake »

Open YUL base.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

flyinhigh wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:39 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:11 am E2 captain pay is good but I still feel like there is room for improvement on the FO side.
At 63K per annum, it’s pretty descent.

I did think the DH8 should have come up though. Folks who were on the fence about transferring over previously will be bailing from the Dash program in a New York minute now, leaving that program severely deprived.
Wouldn’t FO status pay with an equipment freeze (time limited/no restriction if upgrading) make sense?

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Congratulations to Porter for increasing hourly wages! Does years of service carry over from FO to CA?

Return to “Porter Airlines”