Porter pilots make more now

Discuss topics related to Flair Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Porter pilots make more now

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Apestogetherstrong wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:16 am Porter payscales better than Flair. How does this make sense. How come E2 pilots get paid more than 737 pilots.
Come fly the E2 and find out.
---------- ADS -----------

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:02 pm Comparing a 737 payscale to an EMJ payscale and saying Flair is marginally better lol. It should be 30% better at least. 132 pax versus 180.
Maybe the pay is better at Porter cuz their engines howl and sing whale songs. Maybe it’s because the E2 is technically longer than the max 8. Either case, who cares. You’re flying a similar sized airplane at similar speeds at similar altitudes at almost identical destinations. Just because one weighs a tad more than the other doesn’t mean you have more responsibility.

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by braaap Braap »

Definitely more responsibility. More lives in your hands.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

braaap Braap wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:36 pm Definitely more responsibility. More lives in your hands.
I disagree. Having 1 life in your hands should bring out the same amount of professionalism as flying 100 lives around. If I chose to fly a caravan in northern Canada, does that mean I can be less responsible?……..no

While I do agree that passenger counts do factor in slightly into pay scales, I think the 737s,320s,E2s,220s are too close to differentiate on that scale.

highspeed
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by highspeed »

Since the bulk of accidents/incidents occur during approach and landing the pay should be based on the number conducted.

Just adding fuel to the fire. The basis of compensation can and does have entirely too many variables based on perceptions.

Whatever the criteria, it's too damn low.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It's about productivity more than responsibility.

Heavier airplane, more payload, more paying pax/cargo, faster, further. That's what drives airline pilot pay.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

It's all drive by the one word I've learned to hate "legacy".

Legacy airplanes
Legacy policies

and

Legacy remuneration structures

Legacy, history shows us the mistakes we've made so why are we still making the same mistakes.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Donald wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:49 pm
Apestogetherstrong wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:40 pm Waiting for co-joe to comment on this.
He's been too busy today washing Brian's van and driving for Uber Eats to log in here.
FFS. Give the below the belt ad homin attacks a rest.

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

The thread is still a bit misleading.

Starting FO pay is still higher at Flair.

But good on Porter for stepping up their game a bit. Looks like FOs are getting no attention across the board so gains likely won't be coming from other carriers who will just copy the others.

WJ200
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WJ200 »

khedrei wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:21 am The thread is still a bit misleading.

Starting FO pay is still higher at Flair.

But good on Porter for stepping up their game a bit. Looks like FOs are getting no attention across the board so gains likely won't be coming from other carriers who will just copy the others.
The reality is FO experience has also significantly decreased over the past few years. To expect otherwise isn't based on reality

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by braaap Braap »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:47 am
braaap Braap wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:36 pm Definitely more responsibility. More lives in your hands.
I disagree. Having 1 life in your hands should bring out the same amount of professionalism as flying 100 lives around. If I chose to fly a caravan in northern Canada, does that mean I can be less responsible?……..no

While I do agree that passenger counts do factor in slightly into pay scales, I think the 737s,320s,E2s,220s are too close to differentiate on that scale.
100% the professionalism should be there no matter what. How much you get paid shouldn't dictate how much professionalism you exhibit. That's not what the increased pay is for. It's extra compensation for the added responsibility of stuff like: Better chance of a medical emergency, unruly, some sort of other passenger issue, managing a larger crew. And if shit hits the fan, The 777 captain is ultimately responsible for a bigger evacuation than the Northern Caravan guy.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

What I'm a little concerned about is the discrepancy in pay for Q400 vs E2 pilots. I don't know why the value of a Q400 captain is so much less than an Embraer. If anything, the Q400 is harder to fly than the jet. I think both pilots on the Q and the E2 should be paid equally, at the very least captains. There is also no incentive for an F/O on the E2 to go captain on the Q400.

With such a huge pay gap, everyone on the Q will want to switch to the Embraer. Any new "direct hire E2 pilot" will be pushed at the bottom of the list, possibly even forced to go to the Q400. I'd be very cautions to make a move from Jazz to Porter for that very reason. (I say Jazz because they're the only ones flying the Embraer in Canada).

Jazz pays its pilots all the same, regardless of aircraft. Porter should do the same.

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by braaap Braap »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:28 pm
With such a huge pay gap, everyone on the Q will want to switch to the Embraer.
I think that's the point. People hired onto the E2 won't get pushed to the Q unless there is a reduction bid (and if that's the case what they're on will be the least of their worries).

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

braaap Braap wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:03 pm
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:28 pm
With such a huge pay gap, everyone on the Q will want to switch to the Embraer.
I think that's the point. People hired onto the E2 won't get pushed to the Q unless there is a reduction bid (and if that's the case what they're on will be the least of their worries).
Yup, and with a minimum 50 airplanes coming, even if ALL Q4 drivers jump over, direct entry E2 captain will still probably be able to hold it forever.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:28 pm Jazz pays its pilots all the same, regardless of aircraft. Porter should do the same.
Jazz is the only company in Canada with Statues pay and while great does have its flaws as well. Also, if porter was to go that direction, that a YR1 Capt on the EMB would not be at $160 per hr, it would be much lower to elevate the DH8 thus running into the problems Jazz is now having.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

flyinhigh wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:01 am
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:28 pm Jazz pays its pilots all the same, regardless of aircraft. Porter should do the same.
Jazz is the only company in Canada with Statues pay and while great does have its flaws as well. Also, if porter was to go that direction, that a YR1 Capt on the EMB would not be at $160 per hr, it would be much lower to elevate the DH8 thus running into the problems Jazz is now having.
If you paid an E2 capt $160 an hour, I think a Q400 capt deserves the same. The responsability, skill and complexity of flying the Q is no different than the E2.

If you f**** up, 78 pax vs 132 pax.... you're still gonna make the news. (I know, morbid example, but that's what pilots are paid for, right? The safety of the passengers, crew and those on the ground...)

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:17 am If you paid an E2 capt $160 an hour, I think a Q400 capt deserves the same. The responsability, skill and complexity of flying the Q is no different than the E2.
So a 220 skipper at AC deserves the same pay as a 777 Skipper? or a 37 skipper in the US deserves the same as a 777 skipper?? Personally, I have never saw any airline in the world pay the same on that premise.

I'm not sayin the DH8 pays enough, because it does need to come up, however the above logic does not make sense.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

flyinhigh wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:54 pm
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:17 am If you paid an E2 capt $160 an hour, I think a Q400 capt deserves the same. The responsability, skill and complexity of flying the Q is no different than the E2.
So a 220 skipper at AC deserves the same pay as a 777 Skipper? or a 37 skipper in the US deserves the same as a 777 skipper?? Personally, I have never saw any airline in the world pay the same on that premise.

I'm not sayin the DH8 pays enough, because it does need to come up, however the above logic does not make sense.
If not penny for penny, close enough. You can't be making significantly less money and the discrepancy in pay at Porter between the E2 captains and the Q400 captains is quite big. That's all I'm saying.

...AND YES, AIR CANADA PILOTS SHOULD ALL BE PAID THE SAME. A 15 year captain on the A220, A321, A330 should be making the same as a 777 captain. There are many airlines around the world that pay based on years of service, not the metal they fly. It's not as if "more skill" is required to fly one to the other. If that were the case, it would be healthier for pilots. 60 year olds could fly the A220 and let the young guys fly the ultra long haul.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Just like when Jazz pilots flew the 757 for Dash wages 🤣🤣🤣

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

JHR wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:24 pm Just like when Jazz pilots flew the 757 for Dash wages 🤣🤣🤣
I had something different in mind... but sure, we'll go with what you said.

If I'm not mistaken, Swiss pilots are all on the same pay scale. The more senior pilots (close to retirement) end up flying Europeana domestic routes and the younger folks (40s, 50s) do the long haul. Also, instructors are usually retired airline pilots. Here we have a 200 hr guy teaching a 10 hour guy.

I'm willing to be my year's salary that if Air Canada had the same pay across the board, 70% of older pilots would be on narrow-body aircraft, flying domestic routes, not having to deal with time zones and sleep deprivation. Sure, you may have to work a few more extra days, but the health benefits are greater, not to mention quality of life (fatigue).

That's okay though. We have things figured out in Canada. After all, there are no issues here in aviation. :roll:

Return to “Flair Airlines”